“Pretty disappointing”

The Old Post Office Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 30 Restaurants in Edisto Island
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: From the restaurant's web site:"Featuring a selection of your favorite foods served in the Low Country. We welcome you to a restored tradition and a fresh beginning. Foods of the South are designed by chef Cherry Smalls."Full bar. Serving dinner Tue–Sat from March–Oct, dinner Wed–Sat Nov, Dec and Feb. Closed Jan."This is the most prominent building that you're likely to see as you drive through the forests and fields across Edisto Island. About 5 miles from the beach, the restaurant was once a combination post office and general store, as its weathered clapboards and old-time architecture imply."— Frommer's
“Pretty disappointing”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We decided to take our family here as a special dinner during our vacation. We knew it was a little pricey but thought it would be a nice dining experience. For the price, the food was just ok and the service was not the caliber I would expect. The atmosphere was lacking as well. The drinks were warm with melting ice in them. Nothing special about the food. The desserts were pretty plain. The waitress was nice, but seemed more like a diner waitress than a server in an upscale restaurant. I would not go there again at the current price point.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Mandywayman
opoedisto, Owner at The Old Post Office Restaurant, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Mandywayman
We're not for everyone!....and even though we work hard to please all of our customers we also know that at times you can't. If melting ice is an issue I would recommend visiting in January because ice melts in July.
Enjoy
Adam Morris

“One of Edisto best choices for fine dining”
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We having been going to Old Post Office for many years. Not as good as under previous ownership. Excellent food but portions were lacking for $$$. Crab corn chowder lacking prescience of crab. Crab cakes and Mahi Mahi good but portions small. Grits not as tasty as previous owners. Service excellent!

1 Thank Mark-oest
opoedisto, Owner at The Old Post Office Restaurant, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Mark-oest,
Happy to read that you feel that the food and service was excellent other than the grits, however we're proud to say that they are a local milled product of the island and actually prepared the same and by the same person thats been doing it for the previous 12 years! In regard to portions....our Mahi is an 8 to 10 oz portion and Have you priced fresh Lump Crab lately! In fact I can proudly say that the menu (since 1991) has only increased an average $5.00. Non the less we appreciate your business, review, and high marks.
Charleston, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dinner was delicious!”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My family enjoyed a delicious dinner last night at the OPO! My very picky 8-yr old simply scarfed down the blueberry chicken and grits. I delighted in my fired quail entree special! The batter was crisp and tasty an the meat tender. The firecracker flounder was amazing as well. Of course, we started with the smoked salmon, onion sausage and fried oysters-an amazing way to start a delectable meal!

1 Thank Katey Hines M
Katey Hines M,
Great review! Very pleased to hear that all enjoyed their meals including your 8 year old!
Thank you for your high marks and business. We look forward to your return.
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
“Delicious!”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

First off I must say that I LOVE that the owner responds to each and every review, which I mentioned to his wife the night we dined there. It shows that they are attentive to their customers and want to sincerely know what they thought of their restaurant. ( love the subtle sarcasm, as well :) )
I have only one negative thing to say and I feel it was just this particular dish. I ordered the Citrus flounder. It was a bit fleshy for my taste and I did send it back but it didn't improve the dish much. I don't like fish that is still on the skin as it is sometimes difficult to seperate and this was the case with this dish. It did not have a citrus-y taste at all. Just 3 very small pieces of fish that had some bread crumbs thrown over it or so it seemed to me.

NOW that being said, the rest of the meal was very good. My husband had the firecracker flounder and loved it. My daughters had the crab cake and pork tenderloin. Both tasty, especially the pork which was very tender. We loved the shrimp pate appetizer and I had the special soup tht night which was creamy mushroom with crab. It was delicious. The "miniscule" salad, as another reviewer remarked was just the right size we thought and said this aloud at the table. Dressing was tasty and salad had nice craisins and pumpkin seeds within. We all had dessert and they were all very good. We have never had grits before and probably never will again LOL but for people that like them, I'm sure they were good.

So Adam, all in all, a lovely visit!! We probably will never return because the island is a bit too remote for us but not because of your food. Best of luck in the future to you!!!

1 Thank Danalli4
Danalli4,
Disappointed to hear that you didn't care for the Citrus Flounder, however a great choice for those that are heart healthy! In my opinion the Firecracker Flounder would have been a much better choice (crispy,hot and spicy). I was very pleased to read that all in all everyone enjoyed their dinner with us, but happier to say that you recognized that I do respond to every reviewer....good or bad, like it or not, one can't take life too seriously and/or think that he/she is gonna please everyone.
Please not that the "subtle sarcasm" is just my dry humor coming out. Thanks for the review and business. If ever even close durring a visit to the area I hope you'll visit again.
Happy Travels
Oklahoma City
“High hopes....dashed”
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I had high hopes, but the restaurant fell short. Yes, service was prompt...it was too prompt. They were working too hard to turn the table. The fried oyster appetizer arrived about 30 seconds after we ordered it. The dinner salad was miniscule. The filet was delicious, the grits and beans were good too. Dessert was delicious. But, overall I felt rushed and not appreciated. As good as the food was, I would not go back. The young man clearing dishes was dressed like a slob. Waitstaff needs to dress appropriately, and act appropriately. A little bit of gracious goes a long way.

1 Thank Holly816
opoedisto, Owner at The Old Post Office Restaurant, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Holly816,
Pleased and Happy to read that you thought your dinner was delicious.
Our 2013 Certificate Of Excellance doesn't come easy but shows a wonderful shared appreciation between both ourselves and all of our customers. You are correct in saying a little bit of graciousness goes a long way! Thanks for your review and for joining us.
Sincerely
Adam
PS: Thank God our Edisto Tuxedo's came back from the dry cleaners.