“High hopes....dashed”

The Old Post Office Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 30 Restaurants in Edisto Island
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: From the restaurant's web site:"Featuring a selection of your favorite foods served in the Low Country. We welcome you to a restored tradition and a fresh beginning. Foods of the South are designed by chef Cherry Smalls."Full bar. Serving dinner Tue–Sat from March–Oct, dinner Wed–Sat Nov, Dec and Feb. Closed Jan."This is the most prominent building that you're likely to see as you drive through the forests and fields across Edisto Island. About 5 miles from the beach, the restaurant was once a combination post office and general store, as its weathered clapboards and old-time architecture imply."— Frommer's
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I had high hopes, but the restaurant fell short. Yes, service was prompt...it was too prompt. They were working too hard to turn the table. The fried oyster appetizer arrived about 30 seconds after we ordered it. The dinner salad was miniscule. The filet was delicious, the grits and beans were good too. Dessert was delicious. But, overall I felt rushed and not appreciated. As good as the food was, I would not go back. The young man clearing dishes was dressed like a slob. Waitstaff needs to dress appropriately, and act appropriately. A little bit of gracious goes a long way.

1  Thank Holly816
opoedisto, Owner at The Old Post Office Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Holly816,
Pleased and Happy to read that you thought your dinner was delicious.
Our 2013 Certificate Of Excellance doesn't come easy but shows a wonderful shared appreciation between both ourselves and all of our customers. You are correct in saying a little bit of graciousness goes a long way! Thanks for your review and for joining us.
Sincerely
Adam
PS: Thank God our Edisto Tuxedo's came back from the dry cleaners.

There are newer reviews for The Old Post Office Restaurant

Reviewed May 31, 2013

This place came highly recommended and we made reservations for a party of four. To begin with, I did not like the tone of the menu. "No separate checks, 20 % added for this and that, 1$ for blue cheese crumbles, $8 for splitting," etc etc.The service was not attentive. The place did not look busy. Had to wait for fork. Had to ask and wait for whipped cream for dessert. They did not check back soon after meal was started. One of the entrees had major problems. Pork chop was stringy, sinewy, fatty, badly cooked. They did comp half of that entree. My sole was just a tad overcooked. Grits were good, but hey! What's so difficult and/or expensive about cooking grits? Like make sure they cooked, add lotsa butter and cheese! Which is what they did. I think the prices were too high for value received. I heard no complaints re quality of food of the other two diners. Oh, by the way, my gumbo was great. I should have stuck with big bowl of gumbo and green salad. Salad was fresh, prettily arranged but small. Only one dressing!

1  Thank Utgarder
opoedisto, Owner at The Old Post Office Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Utgarder
Yes, reservation for (4) under the name of " ". Sorry to hear that you were disappointed. Hope that the others enjoyed their Shrimp and Grits, Citrus Flounder, and Veal. With the owner on premise I would recommend voicing any/all concerns while present so that any issues/concerns you have can be addressed. In regard to your husband's Pork Chop.....please know that I will share your concerns with our Pig Farmer and Butcher.

And to clear up some of your other concerns...
20% is added for gratuity for parties of 6 or more.
$8.00 charge is an option if you'd like to split a plate (1/2 the protein and with two plates of sides and (2) included free salads as well as in house baked bread.
$1.00 charge is an option if you'd like to add Blue Cheese Crumbles to your salad.
"No separate checks" is a policy and has been in place since 1988, however if we're not busy and you kindly ask we'll do our best to accommodate.
And yes, the salad dressing that is offered on your included salad will be a in house made Honey Mustard Vinaigrette and has also been a staple since 1988.

Adam Morris

Reviewed May 8, 2013

The Old Post Office was recommended by a friend who lives in Charleston who sometimes makes the 45-minute drive there because this is such a great place. We were not disappointed! Although we arrived a bit late, we were received graciously and not hurried through our memorable meal. I had filet mignon with goat cheese and was blown away! It was cooked perfectly and matched with Jordan Cabernet from their small but well-chosen wine list, dinner was a cosmic experience. The restaurant itself is as advertised--a converted post office with memorabilia from various eras of postal history. They had the lighting just right for a romantic evening, the seating was comfortable and the acoustics pleasantly on the quiet side. Service was friendly, professional and paced perfectly. I highly recommend this restaurant--especially once they finish repaving route 174 which was a mess when we were there.

5  Thank Ninjaneer1
opoedisto, Owner at The Old Post Office Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Ninjaneer1,
Thanks for making the drive out as well as giving us a wonderful review and your recommendations. We're please that you had such a cosmic experience and hope that you'll return in the future. Sincerely, Adam Morris
PS: Paving issues are no longer as the job is complete!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Let's start with the oysters. You should ALWAYS start with the oysters. The fried oyster cocktail appetizer was spot on-- flash-fried with just enough breading to not hide the flavor. Our main course was the Carolina Ribeye. Cooked to perfection at medium-rare, and topped with the best house-made pimiento cheese we have ever had, paired with fresh vegetables and local creamy Geechie Boy grits, these plates are awe-inspiring, to put it mildly. Our server, Mary, was very personable and attentive, but when she was occupied assisting other patrons, we were still taken care of by the rest of the friendly and observant staff. The wine list isn't a mile long, but has a good variety of both red and white to pair with whatever one may order. The Duckhorn sauvignon blanc was an excellent accompaniment to the oysters, as was the Jordan cabernet to the Carolina Ribeye. We WILL be back as soon as possible to dine in decadence, so long as Chef Cherry Smalls is in the kitchen, and the standards are kept high. Cheers to all at the Old Post Office, and thanks for a truly memorable dining adventure!

6  Thank Mlasses

Mlasses,
Thank you for such a great review! Wonderful to learn that you had a memorable dining adventure. I will certainly share your great comments with Mary and the entire staff. Thank you for your business and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

My wife and I live to eat out. It's what we do. And darned if I can even remember a tenth of the meals we've eaten in the last year. Which is why we often photograph our plates just to be able to keep them all straight.

But not this place. We've eaten here a few times because we stay in Edisto Beach every so often. And the first time we ate here, I had the twin fried quails, an obscure Georgia dish that I've only ever seen at one other southern restaurant. I LOVED IT. In fact, I still remember the whole meal. Starting it... loving it... finishing it... missing it... but anyway

The restaurant is a wonderful experience. Always is. Their staff is warm and engaging. The wine list is always interesting (and reasonably priced). And their specials are always worth investigating. The food is a modernist take on low country fare, with a cosmopolitan flair that keeps tradition more than a little interesting.

I suspect that whatever you order, you'll remember the meal longer than usual. I know I certainly did! Can't wait to go back!

7  Thank CongoInOakland
opoedisto, Owner at The Old Post Office Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

CongoInOakland
What a great review. Thank you!
We certainly appreciate comments/reviews such as yours.....reminds us why we're here and why we work as hard as we do.
We look forward to your return
Keep on Eating,