“Great state park”

Edisto Beach State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: A family-oriented recreational area.
Reviewed July 24, 2012

This is a great state park on Edisto Island. The beach is long, less crowded than others, and best of all, there are no houses lining the beach. There are restroom facilities and picnic areas that make it a great destination for a day at the beach.

2  Thank SD6z

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Gorgeous long beach with good facilities, bathrooms, showers, picnic tables, grills, and parking. MANY turtle nests this year, please avoid those which are marked. Camping facilities and sites are incredible, between the ocean and the marsh.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

We packed a lunch and came down to the State Park to hang out on the beach. Very clean, quiet and pretty. We also walked down to Jeremy's Inlet and found some shells.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Nice state park with lovely beach. Admission is per person and adds up.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in the LIVE OAK campground section of the state park. Our site was 117 - a narrow site that I would recommend for pop ups and tents, not big rigs. Across the small campgrougn loop road on the even numbered sites across from ours - they were waterfront near what appeared to be a lake. The sites were very shady, and they had a picnic table and a fire ring. Site 117 had a path behind it that was a short cut to the restroom/bath house which was great! The check in building sells firewood and souvenirs. The ranger that assisted us was friendly, helpful and polite. She was knowledgeable and was able to answer all of my questions.

There are many walking/hiking trails, and we would have liked to have hiked more. Due to the extremely high temperatures while we were visiting, it wasn't really comfortable to be hiking during a heat wave. The trails are beautiful in the live oak section - very thick canopy of trees and shady walks. Great for bicycling as well!

Definitely make a trip to the education/interpretive center. It was a hit with me as well as my 11 yr old son. I've been to some museums where I had to pay to enter that had less exhibits than here, so I found it well worth the donation I put in the donation box. Watch the short movie that continuously plays, it gives a great overview of the area and location. This area was a beautiful, non-touristy, uncrowded, unspoiled, natural area and way to see the real South Carolina. I wish we had been able to spend more time here!

We spent a day at the beach but did not get to see the Beach area campsites. As an overnight camper in the Live Oak section you do not have to pay to park in the beach area which is located down the main road from the Live Oak camping area. It was just a bit too far to walk, but it could be reached by bicycle if you don't want to drive. I was told the parking lot fills up on Saturdays, so make sure you get there early to get a spot in the lot. The beach was nice, and we had an enjoyable day. Not too many waves, so we were able to do some ocean swimming.

There is a Piggly Wiggly grocery store nearby for anything you need. There is also a pizzeria and several restaurants. Lots of places to buy ice, and there is also a gas station close by. Please give me a helpful vote if you enjoyed my review! I highly recommend this park to folks that like to get off the beaten path. Enjoy your trip!

35  Thank cooldoggie