“Edisto Beach State Park Campground”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Edisto Island
Edisto Beach State Park Campground
Reviewed October 17, 2012

WOW What a great campground. The only negative thing to say is the condition of the gravel road, could use some work. Beach was wonderful and only yards from most camp sites. Bathroom conditions were in good and clean.A day trip to Charleston is certainly worth the time. We arrived late at night due to road construction and were a little loss and a policeman pointed us in the right direction. If you want a beach to relax at, this is it.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Edisto Beach State Park Campground

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We were in the Live oaks section of the campground which is like a jungle . The campsites are really small for a larger RV . Edisto is beauiful but nothing much to do . Some shops and several restrauants . No chains . Beach is beauiful and fishing and shrimping are great. We will return in the fall for a business trip , but we will stay in the beach campground . People were great and very friendly and helpful . Just take a book ( or several) if you plan to stay any lenght of time .

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The Edisto Beach State Park Campground at Live Oak is a mix of the best and worst in campgrounds. I love, love the approaching drive down Highway 174 to Edisto (pronounced "ED-is-tow"). The live oaks with spanish moss arch over the two-lane highway and every couple of miles there are historic signs or old buildings. I love the marsh water views. The Live Oak campground on the inland side looks very picturesque. (The state park also has a beach front campground less than a mile from this location but it is usually sold out months in advance.) My remarks pertain to Live Oak. First I am a tent/car camper rather than an RVer and this campground seems to be ever more taken over and oriented to the RVer. That being said, it is a very scenic location in a non-commercial area. I love the vegetation and tall oaks and some campsites have a view of the marsh. The bathhouse appears new. I like the hiking and biking trails. Biking looks very fun with hardpacked paths that hold bike traffic well. (You can rent bikes in nearby Edistos Beach.) The high tree cover is dense enough to shelter out the light rain. And if you've forgotten anything on your long drive from Charleston SC or Walterboro SC, you can buy food at the nearby well stocked Piggly Wiggly in Edistos. The majority of the campsites have water and electric. Some campsites are large with vegetation. In my opinion, the staff is very helpful, nice, and willing to help you solve your problems. Now the down sides. Nothing here is paved and it can be very dusty around the campground with RV's coming and going. There are no tent pads. Some campsites are incredibly small with no privacy and really should be closed to make everyone's camping experience better. Its important to check campsitephotos.com before you reserve at Edisto. Our campsite had six huge electrical panels in the middle of the site (92). What tent camper wants this? (For that matter, why are these panels in the middle of campers with kids. Close this campsite.) While the highway to Edisto Beach looks lightly traveled, at night the noise is awful; the tree canopy seems to amplify the noise. Bring earplugs if you camp on the part of the camp nearer the road because the road noise is incredible. (Gosh that's counter productive to use earplugs. I tent camp because I love the nature sounds.) You can actually hear the road noise to some degree all over the Edisto campground if you are in a tent. In addition, camper behaviors add to the noise. I suffered through campers using a TV in a screened tent. I thought it was a late night discussion going on too loudly and then on my trip to the bathhouse at 2 am I saw that a TV (yes a TELEVISION) was keeping me awake. So I proceeded to try to nap in our parked van. Then at 2:30 am in the adjacent campsite, rowdy fishermen with loud trucks towing boats pull in and proceed to talk at a loud volume and chop wood!!! Both of these situations could be mitigated if two things happen: 1) Ranger staff would do late night patrols on maybe their bikes or on foot. 2) Gates should be added to this park for security and to promote quiet. This lack of security shocked me. This park is close to Highway 174 and anyone can drive in late at night compromising security. And while gates don't directly change noise levels, gates with an access code remind late arrivals that people are sleeping here (DUH!) and the gates discourage casual drive through vehicle traffic. I just don't think a campground park is really safe without night gates. This park has two open drives available to everyone that cares to drive in. My last concern is the bathhouse which is new but does not feel safe. Both the men and women's sides are a "shotgun" layout: Look in one door past sinks, stalls, and showers to the other open door. And the doors are mostly wedged open. Someone can run thru, sneak a peek, and run thru to the open back door without anyone hearing a door squeak open nor any witnesses. The bathhouse at Live Oak is just not a safe "defensible" layout particularly for women. OK so now your wondering if we would go back. Yes. But I would choose the season carefully and only choose a campsite in the rear third of the park. I would bring my bike and earplugs and rent a kayak. I would enjoy the marsh and ocean (less than a mile away.) Despite its shortcomings, the Edisto Beach State Park is beautiful and is very much in demand so if you want to camp next year at Edisto on a popular weekend, make your reservations now.

Room Tip: Don't choose campsites 92 due to electrical panels. Sites 83,85,and 123 adjoin on a corner and...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
17  Thank DeeDeeNC070
Reviewed September 18, 2012

As a South Carolina native, now living in Florida-I was enthusiastic about visiting this campground/town. We were very disappointed. We had a site in Live oak-not private and surrounded by boats, men fishing and shrimping-there was even a freezer plugged up to the site next to us. This is a great place to visit if fishing is your priority. Not much to do in the town. The beach is OK-but nothing to get excited about. We ended up leaving 3 days early-be aware that they do not issue refunds.. The office staff reports funding for SC parks has been cut drastically-and it was really evident. Sad......

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank SCgirl57
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We are tent campers and found this to be an excellent tenters campground. We stayed at the inland salt marsh campground. The sites were exceptionally large and well shaded. There were quite a few other tent campers so there was not a lot of intrusive RV noises. The bathhouse was large and very well maintained. The area is very rural so you get a true natural beachfront without the crowds and tacky stores many other beach areas have. If you are looking for beautiful hiking trails, an uncrowded beach, and a peaceful campsite this is the place. Be sure to bring detailed directions and a map as the drive in through the rural area can be confusing and there are not a lot of places to stop and ask for directions. Beautiful country with some of the friendliest local people you could ever meet.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I have stayed in beach homes as well as camped at Edisto Beach State Park for several years now. I absolutley love the beach campground. I would not waste my time in Live Oak (bug city). The beach campground has an amazing seabreeze and certain spots have plenty of shade. I have stayed at site 53,57, and 12 ;all of which were amazing sites with great shade. I am going back in a few days and will be at campsite _006. The bathrooms are adequate. There is an older bathroom further back into the beach campground, but it is very clean. The campground itself is very quiet. They have an officer who patrols the campgrounds at night. The rangers at the station are hit or miss on behavior. Some rangers are very nice and personable, others seem like they are in a bad mood, personally I go for the beach not the attendant experience. Edisto Beach is one of the most beautiful I have ever been to, and I have lived and been to many other beaches. The habitat is better maintained than most "commercial" area beaches. Jeremy's inlet, a short walk north up the beach from the campground boasts some amazing fishing and crabbing. We caught so many yummy crab at that inlet. The island itself is great as well. There are several bars for adult fun. There are plenty of giftshops and specialty shops, even an arcade for the kids. The locals have always been genuinly nice to us. We are also very respectful of the locals in return. If you are looking for a laid back vacation that has all ammenties at your disposal go to Edisto. It is worth every penny!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank theoneartemis
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Two of us decided to rent a cabin at the Edisto Island State Park as we wanted to explore the area and the beach. The cabins are located near a marsh area which is quiet and relaxing. I was a little concerned as to how rustic the cabin might be as these types of accomodations can vary from state to state and park to park. However this cabin was very nice and clean. The one bedroom had no closet but plenty of room for clothes with an armoire and luggage stand. There was also a murphy bed in the living area and additional storage space on both sides of the murphy bed. The bathroom was small with a tight shower but worked fine. The cabin had heat and air and was had lots of light from plenty of windows all around the living area and kitchen. Kitchen appliances were very nice. There was also an unbelievable amount of elec outlets. There was a porch with rockers, a grill outside, an outside shower area, and a clothesline. There are only 6 cabins at this park with 4 being for 4 people and 2 for 6 people. All in all it was a nice stay with lots to visit in the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Edisto Beach
Kiawah Island Golf Resort
Kiawah Island Golf Resort
#3 of 3 in Kiawah Island

Been to Edisto Beach State Park Campground? Share your experiences!