“Initial hiccups but overall a nice stay”

Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville-Spartanburg I-85
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Duncan
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The stay at this Hampton started out on the bright side -- they didn't have my room type ready when I checked in, so I went out for a couple hours, and it still wasn't ready when I came back, so they upgraded me to a king suite at the same price. Nice touch - 2 rooms, small kitchen, ceiling fan over the king bed - neat. That evening I asked where I could eat, and the front desk clerk recommended a place nearby, so I went out to go there, then she came running out to my car to tell me she just found out that they were closed, so suggested somewhere else, about 10 miles away. Nice service from the front desk. Reasonable responsive wifi. But then things started to go downhill -- I sent myself a fax (needed a hard copy of a couple page document) based on the fax number on the phone in the room. It never arrived and when I inquired at the front desk, I was told that was NOT the fax number, and they gave me the right one. ??? So I sent myself the fax again. (Note that I got a "successful transmission" of the fax both times, so it went somewhere?) It never arrived at the hotel. So I went to the hotel's business center to print the document, noticing they had 2 computers and a printer there. Nope, would not print and the desk clerk was clueless. I said that between this issue and the inability to receive a fax, didn't that fall under the 100% satisfaction guarantee, since I could ignore 1 thing but two things? She said that was unreasonable. Really? Just for kicks, I tried the OTHER computer in the business center and the document printed just fine. (The fax DID come in to the hotel the next day!) Nice pool area, smallish, but leaves on the bottom of the pool and a LOT of bugs on the surface of the water - didn't look attractive at all. A covered lounge area just out the back door before you get to the pool with a couple tables, if you want to be outside but not in the hot sun. All in all, after the initial hiccup, it was a pretty nice place.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
McLean H, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville-Spartanburg I-85, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you for your comments about our hotel. We have had some hiccups with our fax machine, I certainly won't deny that. It does occaisionally act up on us, but the fax number has never changed, so I am investigating how it could be incorrectly written somewhere. All of the hardware in the business center is actually brand new. We are all still learing how to use it- including the print from your room or smart phone applications. Our pool is cleaned daily, but that can sometimes not be enough will all the foul weather we have had in recent weeks. We'll keep a sharp eye on that going forward. None the less, I apprecieate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit. Thank you.

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville-Spartanburg I-85

Reviewed August 6, 2013

After a long evening of traveling, we arrived at the hotel close to 11PM. We had booked through Hotels.com. a non-smoking King suite with kitchenette. So we thought. We checked in and went to our room and low and behold it is a regular King. It was the wife, myself and 12 year old son so this was not going to work. My wife went downstairs to talk to the desk and explain. It was explained to her that Hotels.com had booked a King room with a 'special request' of a sofa. So the wife calls Hotels.com. Their solution is to book us another room at our cost at a Days Inn down the road and then work out the refund at the Hampton Inn later. Needless to say, we were none too happy with Hotels.com. Stacy, the person on duty that evening, went above and beyond her call of duty. While my wife was 'speaking' with Hotels.com, Stacy went to work. Understand, the hotel is booked solid. She asked a gentleman that was traveling alone that had a smoking room with 2 queens if he would switch to our room and give us his room. Hats off to that gentleman for agreeing to it. She had me go and check the room out prior to us moving in to make sure the smoke smell would be ok. Now approaching midnight, we were glad to have any room with 2 beds. The next day, she had maintenance place an ozone machine in the room and treat it with industrial Fabreeze. When we returned, there was barely a hint of smoke odor. Stacy exemplifies customer service in my eyes. She took control of a problem that was not hers. It would have been much easier to just say 'I am sorry. But this is what Hotels.com booked you' and moved along. She was quick thinking and tenacious in her problem solving. For that, if the Healans return to the area again we will do all we can do to stay here with Stacy.

Give this lady a raise. Heck, give her a Hotel to run. You won't be let down.

Thank you so much Stacy. Mr and Mrs 'H' appreciate you.

Hotels.com, you are a joke. That is all I will say about that.

Room Tip: Don't book your stay via Hotels.com.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for comments regarding Stacey Fields, I will certainly share this with her. Though I will say that the hospitality you received from Stacey comes as no surprise. She is an amazing person who continually goes above and beyond for guests. She always does a terrific job, and we couldn't be more pleased top have her on our team.

I will say that sometimes booking through third party websites as you did can be challenging for both the guest as well as the hotel. Sometimes, they work as intended, but not always. Calling the hotel direct or booking through our website gets you the result you are looking for.

Thank you again, and we look forward to having you as our guest next time you are back in the area.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Hotel is in ideal location adjacent to interstate, industry, airport and several types of food. Staff offers Southern Hospitality in a professional manner and makes you feel welcomed at this property. I have had as many as 30 team members in and out of this location during the past year and there are no major complaints of any sort.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
McLean H, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville-Spartanburg I-85, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you for your continued business and loyalty to our hotel. We are very pleased that you and your team continue to choose us for your hospitality needs when you are here in the Upstate. Thank you again, and please let us know if there is any way that we can assist you and your guests in the future. Thank you.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

The staff was extremely courteous and helpful, the breakfast was very good and price was reasonable. The rooms was clean and quiet. I will go back to the Duncan Hampton in the future and recommend it highly to other travelers whether on business or pleasure.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
McLean H, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville-Spartanburg I-85, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you for your response, we appreciate your business and look forward to having you as our guest again.

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here over night for a business trip and the staff were wonderful. The room was clean, quiet and spacious. I love the 24 hour coffee! Breakfast grab bags were ready to go in the morning as expected. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013
McLean H, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville-Spartanburg I-85, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to leave comments. Glad that you enjoy our coffee, and apprecieate that we offer it 24/7. Come back and see us again next time you are in the area. Thank you!

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

This was my 2nd visit. The first one in March 2012. I stayed in the suite and it was value for money. The bed sheet, cover and pillows were all white, crisp and fresh smelling. It was so easy to fall asleep on those fluffy pillows. This is the only hotel that provides makeup remover wipes. Great! Breakfast is free and very wholesome. They give you a takeaway breakfast if you don't have time to eat in. There are complimentary cookies at the lobby in the evening but they disappear very quickly. It was the same service crew I met from the last visit and they are very motivated. It took me more than 24 hours' journey from Singapore to South Carolina and was very contented staying here for the 7 days on business.

• Stayed: July 2013

I am truly glad that you enjoyed your stay. We work hard to make sure that every guest has a terrific experience. Thank you for noticing the little extra touches we try to provide to our guests like the On the Run Breakfast Bag, and the Otis Spunkmeyer cookies- I agree those are really good. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon. Thank you!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Great hotel, clean, secure and welcoming. Pool was very clean. Breakfast can use a little work...scrambled eggs overcooked and very salty BUT the coffee is fabulous! Staff was very helpful on the phone and during the stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
McLean H, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville-Spartanburg I-85, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Thank you for the feedback. Breakfast is an area that we strive to continually improve. We actually don't add Salt to any of our food in the cooking process, in an effort to appeal to as many folks as we can. We'll look into that though, thanks for the tip. Please stay with us again, next time you are in the area. Thank you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Duncan
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Greenville-Spartanburg(Duncan)
Hampton Inn & Suites Spartanburg-I-26-Westgate Mall
WoodSpring Suites Spartanburg Duncan
Quality Inn Duncan Spartanburg West
Baymont Inn & Suites Duncan/Spartanburg
Comfort Suites At WestGate Mall

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville-Spartanburg I-85? Share your experiences!