“Too Tough to Tame”

717 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 629 helpful votes
“Too Tough to Tame”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I arrived a few days before the Bojangles 500 and the place was already starting to fill up with RV's and campers. The track was neat to see, and the crowds forming offered even more of a spectacle. It was easy to image the roar of the cars and the smell of fried chicken and beer in the crowd. While part of me wished I had stayed a few more days to see the actual race, It was nice to move on, and watch the race on TV. It seemed like there was plenty of camping in the fields surrounding the track.

1 Thank TryppAdams

Raleigh, North Carolina
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Mothers Day Tradition”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I spent last weekend at Darlington Raceway. This has become a Mothers Day tradition for me and my daughter for the past 6 years. If you are into Nascar, this is the place to go. There is plenty of historic value here at this track which has been around since 1950. Every year, the race runs the weekend of Mothers Day. The drivers are announced and most come out in front of the crowd with their Mothers. They don't do this at any of the other races. I usually camp the whole weekend and am not much of the camping type; but to get the whole perspective, this is the thing to do. You can ride in on a Friday night and easily find a place to camp within walking distance of the track. There are plenty of food and merchandise vendors here as well. I have met regulars that go every year as well that tend to camp in the same areas and do tend to meet up with them while we are there. The track is 1.33 miles around and most of the seats give a great view all the way around to the back side. They have what is called the Darlington Stripe here which is where the cars rub the wall and the wall and cars end up with the legendary stripe running down the side. This track has two nicknames. One is "Lady in Black" and the other is "Too Tough to Tame". They have a large area of the hauler trucks which sell fan merchandising and where they have multiple games set up to win freebie prizes as well. This year they had the Clydesdale horses there as well. I was able to get my race tickets early enough to get an additional wrist band for us to go to the Drivers Introductions and the "Outshyne" concert inside the track at no additional charge. This was a great opportunity to get close to the drivers and to get a great look at both the pits and the cars during the pre-race ceremony. Note that this track does not allow hard coolers inside as I saw a huge pile of them left outside the gate. They do allow soft sided coolers where you can bring your own food and drink beverages of choice to include beer if you would like. Seating is typical of most race tracks. It's always a great experience!

2 Thank kts70281
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Best non-short track”
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

If u love NASCAR Darlington is a must visit. Unique track with a great southern feel. Lots of history and fun.

North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“What an experience!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This year at Darlington, I received my first stripe, while on the track walk I was able to sign the start finish line and I had stripes along my knee, therefore I had my Darlington Stripe.
What a great experience!
The drivers pit crew personnel was as friendly and informative as you could ask for. They did not mind having their picture made with you regardless of your favorite driver.
This track always brings on a great race, the people tailgating are friendly and a joy to talk with.
I would like to thank Richard and his crew at the handicap parking section for all their help going above and beyond to help myself and others with special needs get around the huge complex.
Looking forward to next year, hopefully we will have to races a year at "The Lady In Black"

“Great experience.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I'm a DARLINGTON local and we love our "Lady in Black". The track that's "too Tough to Tame" always gives a great show. I go to the track every year and usually don't go to any race. I just love the atmosphere with all the different people. I take my kids and we've never had a problem.

Visited May 2012