“So-so”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Conway
Lyman, SC
“So-so”
Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

We had two rooms, going up with my kids to take my daughter to Coastal Carolina University. The best thing about the place is that it's very close to the school. The rooms both smelled musty, although most of a can of Febreze took care of that. They have those horrible half-size pillows, that are pretty much useless, and the rooms seemed old and not well cared for. The breakfast was OK, although I'd rather have had a better room.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Dragonflyknits

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed July 14, 2012

2 Buildings 1 & 2 and then to the rear 3 & 4. You have to pass a restaurant dumpster to get to 3 & 4...in a 107 degrees..use your imagination.
My flip flops that I took off to put sneakers on (because I would not walk on the floor) were missing when I arrived back to my room.
Found 3 items on the rug, a hair tie, pack of gum and dead bug on the carpet upon check in.
Called with my complaints and was asked "can you please hold, I have someone checking in"..as if I meant nothing!!!
The topper of the whole thing..never received a call back but $56.00 was put back into my bank account..it's 96.00 a night!!!! Other hotels that are newer on the main road of 501 charge the same rate...QUALITY INN never, ever, ever again...

Room Tip: I have stayed there in November 2011, if your going to stay ask for 1 or 2.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Toni D
High Point, North Carolina
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My daughter and I stayed in a handicapped room as all the other rooms were booked. The room was located in the building around back. It had an extra large bathroom with an excellent shower. The room was OK. It was clean and I didn't see any critters. The staff was friendly, but did not have a professional appearance. The continental breakfast had very little options. I was not unhappy with my stay here, but I probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Shellie P
PA
Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

I booked a room 3 months in advance as a recommendation from the hospital for surgery I as was having in July. When we pulled in I begin having reservations. The place looked like it was not very maintained. When I walked in the lobby it seemed really stuffy. The were 3 ladies behind the counter, one of which did not look like she belonged there. This lady eventually went and sat at a table in the dining area. So, I checked in and got a room key. The room was in a separate building on the second floor. Upon entering, there was no elevator which would have been needed due to luggage. The stairwell was dirty and the building itself smelled musky. The room was right off the stairwell which I didn't like. Upon entering the room, it felt stuffy and not fresh at all. I looked out the window and it was dirty. The unit under the window was dirty as well. BUT, my biggest concern was safety. I just didn't feel safe there. As a single woman, this is important to me. I had expected to be in a room connected to the main facility. I then left and went to a Comfort Suites where I booked a room. I went back to QI and told them that I wanted to cancel my room. Again, when I entered the lobby, a man was behind the desk and exited as soon as I walked in. When I told the clerk that I wanted to cancel my reservations and that I had a room at the Comfort, she rolled her eyes and said that she didn't know if I could and told me that I had to talk to the manager, Michelle. Michelle became a bit defensive. I explained as I did above. She said she would have to charge me $109 for that night since I didn't cancel 24hrs in advance. I argued that in was only 230 pm and that she still had chance to rent the room esp on July 3rd and that I could not help if I didn't feel safe. She kept asking why I didn't feep safe and I told her that I didn't know why. . . That it was a feeling. She said she would charge me half of the $109 since I was honest and that more crime took place at hotels where the rooms were inside a hall. I was okay with this. So, I go back to Comfort and was so relieved! The funny thing is that when I was in the elevator, a man was in there and commented that he was so glad that this place had rooms. He said he was going to stay at the QI, but didn't feel safe. I laughed as we exchanged stories. I then called a friend who was scheduled for the same surgery and doctor and had reservations. She said she was not so concerned with safety since her hubby was with her. 2 days later, she arrived and asked to see the room. She ultimately cancelled too and booked at Comfort because her room was musky and the air unit didn't work. I will be letting my dr know about these accomdations.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank LilysMommy
Toronto
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We checked in yesterday and just came back from the complimentary breakfast. Our room is in the back building second floor No. 4xx.
It is very hot in MB and after reading all the bad reviews my only concern was the AC. I was surprised to find a great room temprature, a clean and reasonable room. Nothing special but for $81 at night at this time of the year it is great. The front desk lady was very nice and welcoming. The bed and pillows are very comfortable and everything works fine. I would stay there for one or mytiple nights. Please take this as my personal opinion.

Room Tip: Back building second floor was the one we had.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank k11Toronto
Fallston, Maryland
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Room was dusty everywhere which caused my daughter's allergy to flare up and there was hair on the pillows as well as in the bathtub. When we first arrived there was a bug crawling on one of the beds. The WiFi was not working and the hotel staff was absolutely no help at all. When I asked when the WiFi would be restored she shrugged her shoulders. I chose this hotel due to its proximity to Coastal Carolina University and for the WiFi as I planned to work after checking in, but if you plan to visit the college in the future, I would recommend staying somewhere else as it was dirty and the WiFi was unreliable. I was even charged for the safe in the room which I was not aware that there was one, it should have been included in the amentites. The place felt more like a motel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kewmom
South Carolina
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Got a room for some relatives who wanted to spend a day at the beach - quick trip. Reviews seemed okay and I have always been pleased with TA advice, but perhaps I should have looked for more recent reviews. The following reflects their feedback to me.
PROS: Close to Broadway. Good price. Everything in working order. Applied discounts without asking.
CONS: Room smelled like french fries; didn't seem "fresh." Bed had serious dip in center. Shower pressure low.
Although most things we found average or above, the freshness of the room and particularly the quality of the bed for a good night's sleep were weighted more in this review, thus the lower rating.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank bwodom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Conway
Comfort Suites at the University
#92 of 207 in Myrtle Beach
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Myrtle Beach
Super 8 Conway/ Myrtle Beach Area
Red Roof Inn Myrtle Beach Hotel - Market Commons

Been to Crossroads Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!