“Love finding these places!”
Review of Luvan's Fish Camp

Luvan's Fish Camp
Ranked #6 of 150 Restaurants in Conway
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Quaint, delish, quality, quantity and good prices! We are always looking for out of the way "mom and pop" places in our travels and this was a real find. Like others have said, if you're looking for "fancy" this isn't for you, but if you want good food at great prices....don't miss it. We had the "senior" flounder and the scallop meals done to perfection.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

If you're staying on the beach and eating in the typical seafood eateries, then you haven't had REAL seafood yet! The food is simple, fresh, delicious, and hot for a very fair price. On Thursday evenings, you can get a "seafood plater" [sic] for $10 which includes a large piece of white fish, ample shrimp and oysters, a crab cake, fresh cut fries and coleslaw. You also get a basket of hush puppies. My husband will not eat hush puppies and he asks for seconds here!

Don't expect a lot from the decor--wood tables with mismatched table clothes, cement floors, open ceiling, two small windows, and seating for about 30. Not sure about the air in the summer, but there was a small heater in the corner and it was a bit chilly. Just bring a jacket. The name is fish camp...and that's exactly what it is. You always know you're in a fish camp because your fish will leave with you too, so make sure you can air or wash your clothes afterwards :-)

I grew up on the coast and I know seafood. Living in Minnesota now, I look forward to coming to LuVans every year in December (several times in 2 weeks)! If you want good seafood, you will be delighted. If you are concerned about decor and 5 star ambiance, then go to Aspen Grill.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is definitely a different kind of place but unique in it's own right. If you want matching tablecloths with matching dinnerware, this is not your place. My friends and I went there on a Thursday at lunch time. Only one car in the parking lot and the well known truck with the flat tire. We were cautious upon entering with an uneasy feeling. One couple waiting for takeout. No one around. Didn't know if we were to sit down or wait. The couple waiting said just to take a seat. We did. Here comes a grumpy looking ole sole. Still didn't know if this place was right out of the Deliverance movie. We all ordered the fish platter special. It was awesome. It came with shrimp (plenty), oysters, deviled crab, and a piece of white fish, all for $10. There was enough food for 2 meals. The hush puppies were home made and the best ever. Richard, chief, cook and bottle washer is actually a funny guy when you get him talking. Appears to be a little gruff but that bark is worse than his bite. He was a joy to talk with. Definitely an experience someone should entertain at least once. He no longer takes credit cards and I can't say I blame him with what the banks want to charge. Also, it is a smoking establishment. More people came in while we were there and one couple right behind us were
smokers. It was not terribly intrusive, maybe because the ceilings are very high. Give the place a try and I will take all my out of town guests there for the unique experience and the awesome food. Enjoy.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

After reading a few positive reviews on Luvan's Fish Camp, our family decided to make the drive from North Myrtle Beach to Conway. We found a restaurant.com coupon for a great discount.

Upon arriving at Luvan's Fish Camp, we pulled into the parking lot to find about 6 small kittens wandering about. We had to be careful not to run over them with our vehicle. After dinner when we were about to leave we had to get a kitten out from under our car in order to drive away. Immediately inside the restaurant front door, there was a sign posted with the oxymoron "free kittens" : )

There were two senior citizen groups ahead of us with about 8 to 12 people in each group. It was a sit anywhere type of restaurant so we took the table in the far right corner since the center of the restaurant was fully seated.

This restaurant is a log cabin structure with high open beam ceilings and one room dining area.

That night there was only one server. As far as we could tell there were only two people working in the restaurant, the server and the owner/cook. The owner peeked around the corner one time during our stay probably to get a view of how many people he was going to cook for that evening. It surprised us on how quickly we received our drinks and food with such a busy crowd of hungry diners present. I had never seen a server work as hard as this young lady did that evening. We tipped her generously!

Our 17 year old daughter and her friend said the hush puppies were the best they had eaten. My wife and I agree. We ordered two of the large seafood platters for $14.50 each and split them among the four of us. Enough food for everyone! The slaw was also very good.

All of the food was exceptional except the fried oysters. We felt they were overcooked. We had eaten some oysters at another area restaurant (of which I wrote an earlier review) which were much better.

I would have given this restaurant 5 marks if it were not for two reasons: 1. The oysters being overcooked. 2. It is a smoking area and one room area. A family group of 4 and 1/2 people came in while we were there and all of them lit up except for the 1/2 pint who was still in a car carrier...I am allergic to cigarette smoke and somewhat biased.

Since the structure has tall ceilings, so the smoke did not bother us as much as we thought it would. There was also a window air conditioner directly above their table that seemed to dissipate the smoke somewhat which may have helped.

With that said, we had a great meal at a great price and would recommend Luvan's Fish Camp's food "worth the drive."

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Dinner here Tuesday (10/29/13) night was outstanding. This is the 5th time I have tried this restaurant, it was great food each time. Always fresh and hot. I live 300 miles away so can't get here too often. It would be a weekly meal if possible. Keep up the good work. Waitress was excellent and the cook prepared food to perfection even without the chef's hat and coat. See yall next spring.