“Dirty Bedspreads, Rude Employees, etc.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Suites at the University

Comfort Suites at the University
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Conway
Columbia, SC
“Dirty Bedspreads, Rude Employees, etc.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

I made this reservation for two adults / 3 children. Upon arrival, while I was checking in, I witnessed a young black female child walk up to the counter and ask the man (the one who was checking me in) if she could have some towels. His response was, "What for?" She told him, "For the shower," and he told her she would have to bring all her dirty ones to him first. So, I get checked in and we get a cart and transport our luggage to our room. Since we had all been at the beach all day, we immediately started showers. But, there were only four towels and four wash cloths in the bathroom. So, my husband we back to that same man and asked for more towels and wash cloths and mentioned to him that there weren't enough for the five people in the room. He did give my husband extra towels and wash cloths (even though he refused the little girl without first bringing her dirty ones!) and commented to my husband that there isn't supposed to be five people in the room in the first place. Well... I happened to have printed out my reservation confirmation and gave it to my husband to take back to him to show that I did make the reservation for a room for five people. He responded that there shouldn't be five ADULTS in the room. So, are children not people? Interestingly enough, I just now went through the steps of making another reservation at the same hotel for the same type of room and chose 5 ADULTS this time. No problem!! So, the desk clerk didn't know what he was talking about.
Next, we start showers and discover something NASTY on the wall in the bathroom just inside the door (see photo). It looked like dried blood or something similar. I told the kids to not touch it. Then, I discovered that the bedspreads are pretty dirty, as well (see photos). Both bedspreads had obviously not been washed in some time and were dingy and each one had something crusty on it...dried blood, again?
Yet again, I made another yucky discovery. The door of the microwave oven is just disgusting. Fortunately, we didn't need to heat up anything and I'm glad we didn't! See photos, again. Our 11 year old son was going to have to sleep on the sleeper sofa so I went over to open it up and put sheets/blanket on it. Upon first glance, I discovered many holes in the sofa and in the cushions. When he saw it, he asked that I just cover the sofa with a sheet and he'd use his own blanket and pillow that he brought with him. His reasoning was that if the sofa looked so bad, he didn't want to see what the mattress looked like inside. I don't blame him!!
Fortunately, the beds were semi-comfortable and we did sleep well... frankly, we were so tired, we'd been able to sleep anywhere, most likely! But, in the morning, my husband made yet another disappointing discovery when he went to get breakfast. He woke up earlier than the rest of us and went to get himself some breakfast. My husband is not very picky and will eat most anything. But, he said that the eggs were so disgusting that even he could not eat them (he tried). And, there was no orange juice. He brought us oatmeal, cereal, danishes, grits, muffins and milk to the room for breakfast. When we realized that it was just a few minutes before 10am (when the breakfast was over), we sent our son to get two more cartons of milk because we were still thirsty. He returned and told us that the refrigerator where the milk is kept was already locked. He asked the employee who was cleaning up the breakfast area if it was locked and, instead of offering to get him a couple of cartons of milk, she just said, YEP!" That's pretty rude. Apparently, this hotel has enough customers and isn't interested in repeat business.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Ginger D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Conroe, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

This hotel had a king suite available for the four of us. However the wall between the bed and pullout was tiny, hardly a wall and the mattress on the pullout needed to be replaced it was inadequate to sleep on in our opinion. Great location. Could use some updating. The price seemed fair. Room would have been just fine if we only had two people.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank RoadTripFamilyofFour
Asheville, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

I had a reservation for two nights for which I was in town working at the Conway Courthouse. Upon checking in, I realized I was charged a bit more than the family of 4 who was checking in before me. Not happy, but still checked in. After opening the door, I realized that the room had been smoked in, and I have severe asthma. I asked for a different room, however the property was booked and it was late. I got my refund and headed elsewhere.

Room Tip: Make sure they check your room to see if it has been smoked in, if you're an asthmatic like me.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Joseph H
GMComfortConway, General Manager at Comfort Suites at the University, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
We try to advise all guests that for the best rates...book early. Our rates will continue to rise to meet our competitors rates as our bookings increase. This allows us to offer the maximum value to our guests at any given time. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves. We strive to do our very best for each and every guest!
Indiana, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

typical comfort inn suites, clean and pleasant, you can tell the place is older, but was fine to stay in. Comfortable beds, decent clean pool.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

This hotel was fine but nothing outstanding. First of all, I would only stay here if you have no intentions of going to the beach. It is at least a 20 minute drive in from Conway.

Room- Standard king room with a suite area with a couch that was clean. There was a weird smell in the room. I think it was supposed to be air freshner but it was a little unpleasant. The tv in the room was an old tube that should be updated ASAP. The bathroom was fine; however, the shower did not drain quickly and there was always water a few inches deep in the tub after a shower.

Pool- didn't use it but it was tiny for a hotel this size.

Fitness room- didn't use it, but my wife who is small said the treadmill felt like it was breaking as she used it because of its age.

Breakfast- standard hotel breakfast....waffles, eggs,sausage, cereals, fruit, etc. The seating area is very small.

Staff- Very friendly and polite.

Location- good for the outlets on 501, golf, business, and CCU. If you want good dining and the beach look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Savannah, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

Was there for 2 nights with my neice and her toddler, visiting relatives. Room was clean and big. Had microwave and refrigerator in room. Breakfast was good. My only complaint was that the TV was an older model and not a flat screen, but we weren't there that much and it was fine

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Clemson, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

Just returned from a work trip to Conway SC. We stayed at this hotel and was very pleased. The Staff was helpful and friendly and the rooms clean. It is in a good location for what I needed and would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Conway
Sleep Inn & Suites
#91 of 207 in Myrtle Beach
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Myrtle Beach
BEST WESTERN PLUS Grand Strand Inn & Suites
Hilton Garden Inn Myrtle Beach/Coastal Grand Mall

Been to Comfort Suites at the University? Share your experiences!