“More like low income housing than extended business stay”

Suburban Extended Stay Hotel
Ranked #55 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Bartonville, Illinois, United States
“More like low income housing than extended business stay”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Because of a cancelled flight, I arrived at the hotel at 1:30 am and found a half dozen police cars at the hotel and an ambulance to take the naked bloody man that was threatening to kill people and wouldn't leave a friend of a friend's room that later learned was tripping on something major. Went to my room, wedged a chair under the door handle and hit the bed and fall asleep around 2. Wake up at 6:30 to what sounds like tapping at my door. Stumble to the peep hole and my neighbor is smashing beer cans on the sidewalk outside his room and my room. Too tired to care, I go back to bed and wake up at 7:30 to the tv news blaring next door. Neighbor is sitting on his cooler smoking and since he can't do it in his room, has the door open and the tv at full volume so he can hear it from the sidewalk. Got breakfast and come back to find the neighbor back in his room with the door open and a pit bull between me and my room. We stare at each other and I take a wide berth around through the parking lot up through a flower bed but she cuts me off on the other sidewalk outside my room. So she ends up being nice, so much so I had to push her out of my room without offending her enough to maul me. Realize this place is low income housing. Before I leave for the day 6 more police vehicles roll in: two cars and four Drug Enforcement SUVs. After my business, I went back to the hotel to grab my bag and leave for for the airport and find four new police on the other side of the building.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Joel N
ASDColumbia, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Words aren't enough to express my sincere apologies for the horrible encounters you experienced while staying here at the hotel. Please know that we value your comments and share them with our hotel staff regularly. You handled this situation ten times better than I would have. I commend you for your patience and candor. It is truly our job to provide you with a comfortable and memorable experience and we dropped the ball. We hope on your next visit you will give our hotel another chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Our company places several of our travel nurses here while they are on short term contracts with the hospital. This place is clean, comfortable and safe. The office staff is amazing. We have been using them for the past few years and each and every person in the office has been wonderful. They are always friendly and go out of their way to make sure our nurses are happy!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ChelleFox
Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This place was booked by an employer as temporary housing for a traveling nurse. They informed us we'd be staying in a town house type unit. Upon checking in we found it to be a studio/efficiency apartment.

The "full kitchen" included place settings for ONE. Areas of the floor (under new carpet) were spongy and obviously rotted. The old-fashioned TV seemed to work OK. There are no screens on the doors/windows so we had to keep the doors closed at all times to keep the local bugs (see title) outside, leading to a closed up odor.

We decided to go sit by the pool, only to find it was locked. The desk person told us that the pool was closed till May. The "Spa Tub" advertised on the website and shown in pictures, has been bricked over and a patio set placed on it.

Earlier reviews state there is no wi-fi. I'm pleased to report that there is free wi-fi, at least, in building 7. However, it is unsecured, so it may just be a scammer looking to log your keystrokes. Please do use it for anything sensitive like banking, shopping, etc.

It seems that building 9 burned to the ground at some point recently, it has a condemned sign hanging on it. There are several open sewer drains on the property that could easily swallow a small dog or a child, so, keep them leashed at all times.

Now the positives, staff is very friendly and the shower has tons of hot water and good pressure. Room is pretty clean and the A/C works great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ASDColumbia, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
My staff and I thank you for your valueable feedback. We do take the time and review all comments so that we may provide great customer service. I apologize for the delay in my response. Since your comment was posted we have opened our pool
and repaired the drain.

We appreciate your time and business!
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Affordable Suites in Columbia, SC is the perfect location for visiting the River Banks Zoo and central Columbia. The rooms do show years of wear and tear, but each time we have stayed, the rooms have been very clean. The rooms are designed as apartments of varying sizes. The studio apartment is what we prefer for an affordable, prime location for visiting family members.

My biggest complaint is that the kitchen equipment/supplies have been descimated. We consider ourselves lucky if we have 2 coffee cups and 2 wine glasses. On our most recent visit, we had only 1 dinner plate. Paper towels and bathroom supplies are provided, although sometimes must be asked for.

Pets are allowed, so our "kids" get to go with us to see "grandmama." We have never had a pet odor in any of the apartments. All-in-all, a good place to stay--clean, location, comfortable, secure, but needs a little help in updates and kitchen equipment. Complimentary breakfast is fair. Monday thru Thursday happy hour is a nice treat--not a meal, but a good start.

Room Tip: For a quieter stay, request a second floor apartment. Pet rooms are conveniently located throughout...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
First, thank you for choosing our hotel as your home away home. A complete inventory list for each suite would remedy our shortage of serving utensils. I appreciate your comments.

We look forward to serving you in the near future.
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I read many reviews of this hotel, good and bad, before deciding to stay here. I am so pleased to report that my experience lined up with the best reviews. Our room was immaculate, spacious, and comfortable (at least to our zoo-weary bodies). Every employee I encountered was friendly and helpful, and I am a stickler for good service. The location couldn't have been better: we were within minutes of the zoo & State Museum, our destinations in the city, and the hotel was very easy to find.
The only problem we had was when an exposed spring on the couch gave my son a nasty scratch on his arm. The employee at the front desk apologized profusely and immediately made a note to fix it, so I have confidence it won't happen again.
I'll be staying here again next year when the State Museum opens its planetarium!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I'll admit I'm a bit of a hotel snob and usually stay at a full service business hotel like a Hyatt or Marriott but was in town for USC Parent's Weekend and this was the only option available. At first it seemed like it would be okay - the grounds are well kept and the staff is friendly. It used to be a Marriott Residence Inn and in fact I stayed there a few years ago when it had that flag. But upon closer inspection this facility has some issues. There was a trash can on the grounds outside my room that was full on the first day of my visit - by the third day it was overflowing and trash was all around it, but it never got emptied while I was there. Also, the shower head was disconnected and sitting on the side of the tub when I went to take a shower and it couldn't be fixed until late afternoon because the maintenance staff didn't work in the morning so I ended up taking a shower with the water just coming out of the pipe, like someone was holding a hose over my head! Why this wasn't addressed before the room was given to me I can't understand - the cleaner either didn't report it to management or management didn't bother to address it - or worse, there was no cleaner - horrifying thought. And speaking of cleaning they don't clean the room every day - only every other day, which they don't tell you when you book, only when you check in. It was freezing in the room and they only had one thin blanket on the bed. When I called for some extra blankets they said they didn't have any and recommended turning the air conditioning down. Also, it's a suite hotel and supposed to have dishes, etc. but had only one plate, one wineglass (no drinking glasses) and two coffee cups - definitely substandard. Finally, when I left they wouldn't give me an itemized reciept for the room because they said I didn't book it directly through them. Not even a list of extra charges, which I normally like to check before I leave the property. All in all, not a good experience.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Klgma
ASDColumbia, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
First, thank you for taking to time provide valueable feedback regarding your stay with us. We as a hotel address these issues with each department involved to ensure that each guest is personally taken care above expectation. It is quite obvious that we did not meet your expectation. It is our job to ensure you have a memborable experience and not a miserable one. I would love the opportunity to speak with you. Please don't hesitate to give me call directly. Thank you for choosing my hotel for your lodging needs.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Room was dated, had mold in bath and carpet was wet in many places. Lots of permanent residents wandering the grounds and parking areas all night conducting various "transactions". Breakfast not very good, no wireless internet, available wired was unreliable. Price too high for what you get. In other words, avoid.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank deckhandoug
ASDColumbia, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide valueable feedback. I have read the comments mentioned to my staff and we are taking the appropiate steps to not have another guest encounter the same experience you had. Please contact me as soon as possible. I would like the opportunity to speak with you to address these issues personally.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbia
Staybridge Suites Columbia
Baymont Inn & Suites Columbia Northwest
Home Towne Suites - Columbia
Quality Inn West Columbia
Quality Inn West Columbia
#6 of 11 in West Columbia
Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbia - Greystone

Been to Suburban Extended Stay Hotel? Share your experiences!