“Had our credit card information stolen”

Red Roof Inn Columbia West, SC
Ranked #51 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Myrtle Beach
“Had our credit card information stolen”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2008

We just got back from a stay at this hotel. We checked in late Friday night and there were several questionable people hanging around the front door. There were bags of trash sitting out everywhere that stunk. The room we were in hadn't been cleaned in I don't know how long. Everything was dusty, the television, the counter, even the drinking cups. The bathroom was worse than a locker room. There was mold around the edge of the tub, dirt in the bottom of the tub and leftover used soap in the soap dish. There was no iron, no hair dryer, and the packet of shampoo that they left us looked like it had been dropped in the dirt and picked up without being wiped off. To make matters worse when we returned home from our trip we found out that someone at the hotel had stolen our credit card information and charged over $600 worth of merchandise on it. Stay here at your own risk and don't give them any personal information.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Elkton, VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2008

I wish I had listened to the other bad reviews this place got before I booked. I just figured, no place can be all THAT bad. I was wrong.

I stayed at this motel for 2 nites while visiting my sister in the hospital in Columbia. Arrived about 11:30 pm, and office door was locked, had to go to a window, and then back around to the door to be let in. In other motels, I get my receipt right then, but this place said I'd get it at check out. The first night I was so exhausted from driving 6 hours after working all day that I just slept. Up early to go to hospital in the a.m. The room was small, and the bathroom was tiny (I am a plus-size woman); the toliet kept running, finally they came to fix it that afternoon, but it still ran a long time after flushing. Aggravating when you're trying to sleep. But nothing was as aggravating as what I woke up with next morning - beg bug bites all over my arms, sides and back!!!

When I told the clerk at check out, he didn't seem the least bit surprised. He simply said "I'm sorry." and when he handed me my receipt, "I took one night off for you." I had to wash all laundry including the new clothes I'd bought while there, and had to throw away two of my own pillows I'd brought with me. I'm STILL itching like crazy with bit marks all over me, covering myself in Benedryl. I will never, ever use a RRI again!!

• Liked — close to I-20
  • Disliked — The bed bugs
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Savannah, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2007

DO NOT STAY HERE.......HORRIBLE
My husband, daughter, one pet and myself stopped here for one night while on the way to the mountains of Gatlinburg.
We booked a room with a king bed and a roll-a-way for our daughter and it was confirmed but when we arrived we were told the hotel does not have roll-a-ways or cribs. The only king bed that was available was a handicap room so we had a large bathroom but the room was very small. It was dirty, smelled bad, thugs and shady characters hanging around the motel parking lot at all hours and I am glad that my daughter and I were not traveling alone, the clerk was rude and not helpful, bugs in the room, cigarette buds left on the floor in a non-smoking room, my daughter was in a foot cast and on crutches but they advised that they only had rooms on the second floor and of course no elevator though after a big verbal dispute the clerk seemed to find one on the first floor, no pool, free coffee in the front area(not really big enough to be called a lobby) but of course it was broken, no towels in the room and we had to go get them, and only a trickle of water pressure in the shower.
The lock on the door would not work and we could only use the chain lock, etc.........I could type bad things about this hotel for hours. Don't stay here!! The only thing good that I can say about this hotel is that it has easy access from the interstate and there is a traffic light to get back to the interstate when morning comes finally and you get to leave. They really need to demolish this whole building and start fresh. We have stayed in Red Roof Inn's before in the Jacksonville Florida area and we frequently stay in one in Locust Grove Georgia and they are great but this one will never be on our list again.

• Liked — easy to get back on the interstate when the sun finally comes up and you get to leave and that they allow pets
  • Disliked — every thing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank AutumnBreeze911
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2007

Like most people, we stayed here on the way to Myrtle Beach. The room wasnt overly nasty, it was on par with most budget hotels. The room was 48+ tax and there was 5 of us on the two double beds. Got a good night sleep and hit the road at 7 am the next day. I will admit, especially for women travelling alone, checking in a night could be scary, the clerk is hidden behind a glass door and there were some suspicious looking characters hanging around. It was cheap and worked as a stop over but not the type of place i would recommend people to go to.

G Man

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank GMan5431
Fletcher Mo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2007

My best friend and I stayed one night at this property on June 3, 2007, on our way to Myrtle Beach SC. I have stayed at Red Roofs before and have never expierenced anything like this at all.
To begin, when we arrived it was around 9:00 or so at night. We walked into the lobby of the hotel and the glass door was locked, however there was a glass window that you can talk through to check-in. The scarry man at the window, told us to hold on for one moment, he came around and unlocked the door for us so we could go inside. My best friend stood in the door way for safety purposes while I checked in. He made small talk, telling us we were a long way from home, and he was too!! He then stopped checking us in, and went over to his radio and put on some R-Kelly music, then he came back to checking us in and told us that he felt like a CAGED LION in this town and he needs to be RELEASED!! WHAT!!!! I was beginning to get scared, we were two twenty something girls traveling alone with a scary desk cleark, making us feel very uncomfortable.
After the awful check in we drove around to our room on the bottom floor. We had a room on the corner, lucky for us there was a group of what appeared to be in my opinioin scary "THUG" looking guys standing in a group next to the hotel, for reasons that I have no idea about. So we tried as fast as we could to get our things out of our car and into the room. The room next to us, had a cat in the window, I assume they must live there!! Cheap Rent!! So once we get in the room and lock the door, five seconds later, someone bangs on our door and runs away. This happened three times in a row. We were terrified to leave the room.
We booked two beds, one bed had nasty little hairs on the sheets, so we had to share one bed, and hope that we didn't catch lice or something.
We left around 6:00 in the moring, without showers as fast as we could. I have never expierenced anything like that in my life and will never return to a REd ROOF again. I plan to file complaint with the chain on MOnday.

• Liked — That we survived the night without being attacked!!
  • Disliked — Everything is a tie!!!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank belleblack
Saint Louis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2006

We stayed here for one night while visiting family in the Columbia area. When we first arrived on a Saturday afternoon, the office was locked. We waited for at least 15 minutes before someone arrived. The room we were first given was boiling hot - at least 95 degrees. It looked like the heater was on full blast, and there was no way to turn it down. We complained, and they gave us a new room, but we had to wait until room service finished cleaning it. This surprised me, since it was pretty late - about 4 p.m. The new room was okay at best. Absolutely no amenities. I know this is a budget hotel, but I've stayed at other budget hotels that at least provide you with a hair dryer. The toilet also leaked incessantly. Therefore, their wish for me to re-use my towels in order to save water struck me as somewhat silly, since gallons of watering were being wasted on a faulty toilet. There was also no remote control for the TV, and the switch on the lamp beside the bed was broken. All in all, I would not recommend this hotel. It needs to be remodeled, and management does not appear to be very good. I would pay a little more and stay somewhere else.

• Liked — good location by the highway
  • Disliked — lack of amenities
  • Stayed October 2006
2 Thank JillSt.
Louisville,Ky.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2005

Stayed here for one night on the way to Myrtle Beach not wanting to spend the hundred dollars for the one night the hotels three exits up where charging. Now the room was neat, but far from clean....there was what appeared to be dried, well lets not go there but suffice it to say something not real appealing on the headboard. Would have taken a shower but didn't have my flip-flops with me. Beds wheren't comfortable and the whole place kinda had a unsavory feel (kept checking my car to make sure it was alright)....but for 35 bucks what do you expect right?

• Stayed August 2005