“HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED Left w/in 10 Minutes” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Columbia West, SC

Red Roof Inn Columbia West, SC
Ranked #55 of 95 Hotels in Columbia
Moncks Corner
“HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED Left w/in 10 Minutes”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We checked in and within 10 minutes we gave the room keys back to the hotel clerk and headed home. The non-smoking rooms were very muched smoke filled and I am highly sensitve to smoke. There were cigarette burns all along the night stand. Next to the light fixture in the bathroom is a PVC pipe that was dripping water onto the floor and myself when I tried to use the restroom; in which I had to clean the toilet seat off b/c there was some type of residue on it. My husband pulled back the sheets and there was a stain.

Room Tip: Don't stay
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
SONAL T, Manager at Red Roof Inn Columbia West, SC, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Guest,
I apologize you had a less than pleasant stay at our hotel. I am deeply embarrassed you had this experience at our hotel. We are currently an older Red Roof Inn location but we are actively in the process of renovating our rooms to satisfy our customers! I am sorry that the housekeeping team did not fully service a room that had been smoked in back to nonsmoking and your comment about the stain on the sheet. I can assure you that the sheets are all clean at our hotel. The housekeeping team will have to do a little better job checking for any small stains. I have addressed this concern with all the housekeeping team so that this does not happen to any other guests in the future. Thank you for reporting the maintenance concerns you had in your room, we will take care of this. We hope you will give us another chance in the future to serve you better. In about two months all our rooms will have a new fresh look. I hope you will come by and give us another try.
Regards,

Sonal Thakkar, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
knoxville,TN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Checked in late.price was low so should have known it was a dump! Went to room.Looked ok at first went into bathroom and ceiling was totally covered with mold.There were little bugs crawling around the sink.We were tried so we went to bed and my husband woke up with little red spots all over his legs and itching.One day later they are still itching and blistered.I would not stay here again

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest,

I apologize you can an unfortunate evening at our hotel. Our rates are lower to be competitive in the market not because of the condition of our rooms. I wish we had the opportunity to have changed your room when your found the condition of the bathroom. I also understand that it was late and you may not have wanted to move. Please rest assured that we regularly have our pest control company service our rooms like all hotels do on a routine basis to keep our facilities pest free. I am excited to report that our hotel is going through a renovation process. I am confident you will be delighted by our rooms very soon. We hope that when you are traveling again in the South Carolina area, you will consider choosing our location.

Regards,

Sonal Thakkar, GM
Red Roof Inn
North Tazewell, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

My family and I had arrived fairly late but needed some sleep for the next day. The woman at the front desk was really nice!! I decided to walk to the room as my family rode the vehicle, on the way I seen a cockroach! I was very disgusted and hoping I did not see one in the room. I walked in and the smell hit you, thank goodness we had some stuff to spray the room! I went to the bathroom and there was holes in the wall and I didn't even know if I wanted to use the toilet much less shower! The shower was gross, it had stains and looked like it was from the 70s. The beds were hard, my back hurt all day! I will never stay at this hotel ever again! The only thing good was the people at the front desk!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
juneau,ak
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We checked in to the Red Roof Inn after spending two hours in Columbia looking for a "Pet Friendly" motel. The front desk person couldn't have been nicer, and when we walked into our room we found it spotless. Best of all there was no additional charge for our dog. I can't speak for other locations, but I would highly recommend this Red Roof Inn for the budget minded traveler and especially for those with pets. WELL DONE!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HILLIARD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I was first impressed by the warmth and friendliness of the counter person at check-in. On entering my room I noticed it was outdated and worn. I have a prejudice that equates "new and shiny" with "clean and comfortable', so I was put off at first. After spending the night, I realized the room was exactly what I bargained for. An economical, clean comfortable place to rest for the night. I needed a place to rest, and frills were not important to me. I understand there are plans for renovation of this inn, which will make it even more pleasing. I was especially impressed and pleased with "Shelite" who was managing the desk at check-in.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

I wouldn't let
My Pet Rpck stay in this crapola! I get key card to check out a double (1) person. The unit is in the second bldg (the clerk gave the impression it was the first bldg) soon as I step around the backside of the 1st total darkness I doubt if any of rooms had the individual door security lights on (I literally went into my marine corps infantry combat patrol mode , and that's been almost 42 years ago!)this place is definitely not safe!
When I finally made to the ( last rm on the corner!) I reach in to turn on the main light, Nothing! Then being the Former Marine I am i venture over to the nightstand lamp click nothing! Idid'nt even check the bath light area .the cigarette,moldy, B.O, stench drove me back! I gave the clerk the key back and he returned my license with hardly a pause. DO NOT STAY HERE! And oh yes it's been apprx 10 years since I stayed here and for a moderate priced hotel the red roof wasn't a bad deal! But now this place give me the creeps!

• Stayed July 2012
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I really don't expect much from budget accommodations except that they be cheap, clean, secure and functional. I have stayed here in the past, primarily for the inexpensive rate and its handy location for my visits to this part of Columbia. The front desk staff is always pleasant and accommodating. I have lived with the knowledge that getting an acceptable room is kind of a 50/50 proposition. Usually, when I check in, I get either an acceptable room or I have to ask to be moved to one. Issues usually revolve around cleanliness, stains, smells, security, plumbing, etc.
This time, when I pulled up to my room, there was a guy standing outside, playing with the door's weather strip. He walked away as I approached, and I found that about 22' of the weatherstrip had been cut. Other than that, the room appeared to be clean. I went to the office and asked for another room. The clerk said that the man at the first room was probably the maintenance man, but he didn't seem to be dressed for the job, he wasn't doing any "maintaining", and "probably the maintenance man" didn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling.
The second room was all that was available for my two night stay. There was no weatherstripping on the door, the deadbolt required manipulation to make it work, the privacy latch was broken an non-functional, the carpet was stained, the room had a musty smell, and the TV screen had some kind of smear on it. Believe it or not, I stayed - after checking the bed for cleanliness and assuring that the plumbing worked. Basically, there is nothing else in town as cheap, and all I wanted was a clean bed.
Upon returning the next evening, I found that there had been no housekeeping service.
On the plus side, the room was quiet. and dry, despite the lack of door weatherstripping.
I believe on my next visit to Columbia I'll spring for a few dollars more. This place has fallen below even my flexible standards and there doesn't seeem to be any hope of resurrection.

Room Tip: Go someplace else. Seriously.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo