“Time to give up on this place!”

Red Roof Inn Columbia West, SC
Ranked #52 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I really don't expect much from budget accommodations except that they be cheap, clean, secure and functional. I have stayed here in the past, primarily for the inexpensive rate and its handy location for my visits to this part of Columbia. The front desk staff is always pleasant and accommodating. I have lived with the knowledge that getting an acceptable room is kind of a 50/50 proposition. Usually, when I check in, I get either an acceptable room or I have to ask to be moved to one. Issues usually revolve around cleanliness, stains, smells, security, plumbing, etc.
This time, when I pulled up to my room, there was a guy standing outside, playing with the door's weather strip. He walked away as I approached, and I found that about 22' of the weatherstrip had been cut. Other than that, the room appeared to be clean. I went to the office and asked for another room. The clerk said that the man at the first room was probably the maintenance man, but he didn't seem to be dressed for the job, he wasn't doing any "maintaining", and "probably the maintenance man" didn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling.
The second room was all that was available for my two night stay. There was no weatherstripping on the door, the deadbolt required manipulation to make it work, the privacy latch was broken an non-functional, the carpet was stained, the room had a musty smell, and the TV screen had some kind of smear on it. Believe it or not, I stayed - after checking the bed for cleanliness and assuring that the plumbing worked. Basically, there is nothing else in town as cheap, and all I wanted was a clean bed.
Upon returning the next evening, I found that there had been no housekeeping service.
On the plus side, the room was quiet. and dry, despite the lack of door weatherstripping.
I believe on my next visit to Columbia I'll spring for a few dollars more. This place has fallen below even my flexible standards and there doesn't seeem to be any hope of resurrection.

Room Tip: Go someplace else. Seriously.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank HowlnBubba
There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn Columbia West, SC

Reviewed May 31, 2012

The Positive: The Red Roof Inn sign is very high and very well lit. The linens on the bumpy and uncomfortable bed were clean. Tiny soaps were provided.

The Reality: There weren't many guests when we arrived at midnight; okay so maybe it will be quiet and we will get a better room--wrong. We were on the interstate side so the noise was pretty loud; good thing the very old AC was noisy enough to mask the traffic noise. We checked in too late to bother with another motel so I thought for the price we could live with it.

The moldy smell permeated the entire room. We immediately went to the 24 hour WalMart to purchase a pricy room deodorizer. I sprayed every surface but the smell overwhelmed the deodorizer.

When I went to the bathroom there were roaches scurrying around my feet! Too bad I didn't buy bug spray while at WalMart. I saw the cause of the moldy smell, there were many signs of water damage on the walls of the bathroom. I was concerned about breathing this mold and kept the bathroom door shut hoping to keep the smell contained. That didn't work.

I pulled down the spread to get in bed only to see LARGER roaches on the pillow! Good thing I had a pillow in the car.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are noisy because of the proximity to the interstate. Also, rooms on the no...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mustangs81
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We have been looking for a "regular" place to stop on our trip south. With all the adds on TV, we decided to try a Red Roof Inn. The staff was friendly, and the room more than fit the bill. The price was very fair as well.

I would note our purpose is just a place for a good nights sleep. There are few amenities.

This may end up being the one.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We had stayed at this hotel about 1 year ago. At the time it was clean and quiet.
Now it was clean and "reality TV" in front of my door.
The room smelled musty, the bathroom was dirty. When I brought it up with the staff, I was told that "not all renovations are done yet". Dear Inn Owner, do not waste your money.
Unfortunately we were eyewitnesses to a robbery with an escape car parked in front of our room. I did not feel safe and could have possibly been in "the line of fire". DO NOT STAY THERE

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank millie2007
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I had a room in my sister-in-laws name on 4/3/12; when she tried to check in for me to get the room the girl at the front desk tells her there is no rooms available till after 4pm. We road around the hotel parking lot and saw 3 different rooms open. When my sister-in-law went back to the front and told the girl that rooms were open she then told her those were for reservation only. So she told her she has a reservation she looked sucked her teeth and told her no she didnt. So if u ever in Columbia bypass this on 0085/ Columbia West Red Roof off I26.

Room Tip: I looked at both buildings adn the second building downstairs looked the cleanest.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank lakendram
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I reserved a room online for 1-26-12. It looked ok online. When I arrived, guest were asking for towels for their room. I assumed they were there for a while, and just ran out of towels. When I arrived in my room I looked around. The desk chair was filthy, the smoke alarm was sitting on the desk, and the wires were hanging out of the wall. I bathroom was filthy, and I wouldn't bathe my dog in the bathtub. No towels, or toilet paper. I went to the front desk and received a refund ASAP! Definitely a place to rent by the hour!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Gina C
Matt S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Columbia West, SC, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2012

I apologize for your experience at our inn. It is our intention that every guest leave with the feeling that we have not only met but exceeded their expectations. From your comments I can see that we did not achieve this during your stay and along with refunding you for your stay I have spoken to my team about the areas where have opportunity to exceed our guests expectation and how we can achieve that goal by providing a clean room for a great price with all of our guests needs being met. I hope you will allow for us to have a chance to exceed your expectations the next time you are looking for a place to stay in Columbia.

Matt Schwenker | General Manager

Reviewed January 17, 2012

Stay overnight on my trip to the zoo. The hotel is right off the exit next to many eatery. My check in was fast even though I booked at the other redroof and end up here by accident and was too sleepy to drive to the other one. Room was clean, and on second floor, not noisy. We felt safe and comfortable. Checkout was easy and fast. Overall a nice stay for under 60 dollars

• Stayed: February 2011