“Went from not too bad to disastrous” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Columbia West, SC

Red Roof Inn Columbia West, SC
Ranked #57 of 96 Hotels in Columbia
Moncton, Canada
“Went from not too bad to disastrous”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We had stayed at this hotel about 1 year ago. At the time it was clean and quiet.
Now it was clean and "reality TV" in front of my door.
The room smelled musty, the bathroom was dirty. When I brought it up with the staff, I was told that "not all renovations are done yet". Dear Inn Owner, do not waste your money.
Unfortunately we were eyewitnesses to a robbery with an escape car parked in front of our room. I did not feel safe and could have possibly been in "the line of fire". DO NOT STAY THERE

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank millie2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Greenville, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I had a room in my sister-in-laws name on 4/3/12; when she tried to check in for me to get the room the girl at the front desk tells her there is no rooms available till after 4pm. We road around the hotel parking lot and saw 3 different rooms open. When my sister-in-law went back to the front and told the girl that rooms were open she then told her those were for reservation only. So she told her she has a reservation she looked sucked her teeth and told her no she didnt. So if u ever in Columbia bypass this on 0085/ Columbia West Red Roof off I26.

Room Tip: I looked at both buildings adn the second building downstairs looked the cleanest.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank lakendram
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

I reserved a room online for 1-26-12. It looked ok online. When I arrived, guest were asking for towels for their room. I assumed they were there for a while, and just ran out of towels. When I arrived in my room I looked around. The desk chair was filthy, the smoke alarm was sitting on the desk, and the wires were hanging out of the wall. I bathroom was filthy, and I wouldn't bathe my dog in the bathtub. No towels, or toilet paper. I went to the front desk and received a refund ASAP! Definitely a place to rent by the hour!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Gina C
Matt S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Columbia West, SC, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
I apologize for your experience at our inn. It is our intention that every guest leave with the feeling that we have not only met but exceeded their expectations. From your comments I can see that we did not achieve this during your stay and along with refunding you for your stay I have spoken to my team about the areas where have opportunity to exceed our guests expectation and how we can achieve that goal by providing a clean room for a great price with all of our guests needs being met. I hope you will allow for us to have a chance to exceed your expectations the next time you are looking for a place to stay in Columbia.

Matt Schwenker | General Manager
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Stay overnight on my trip to the zoo. The hotel is right off the exit next to many eatery. My check in was fast even though I booked at the other redroof and end up here by accident and was too sleepy to drive to the other one. Room was clean, and on second floor, not noisy. We felt safe and comfortable. Checkout was easy and fast. Overall a nice stay for under 60 dollars

• Stayed February 2011
Rockville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

They must have upgraded the hotel since the earlier reviews were written. Decor is a bit retro, but everything worked, was clean, and so forth. Free fast wi-fi and a good desk and chair were provided, much more comfortable than many other higher-rated hotels. Very good value for the price and also very quiet.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

We stayed here in July 2011. We reserved the rooms online and were devestated when we arrived. Most of the motel was rented out to mexican workers. It was so bad, that men were "cat calling" at us when we were unloading our car. The front desk area is on lock down after 9 pm complete with an armed security guard and bullet proof glass window. I had to get change to get a soda and the attendant gave me money through a steel siding door. No coffee makers in the rooms. Beds were horrible and had coils sticking out the sides.

We had traveled over 7 hours to get here and it was late, we felt we had no choice as we had children and needed to get them to bed. Please don't stay here, it is unsafe and that is not my opionion, that is how the hotel owners also feel if there is an armed security guard and bullet proof glass on the premises.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank crm4
Matt S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Columbia West, SC, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
I apologize for the experience you had at our Inn in July. We strive to offer a nice place at a nice price and we work very hard to ensure all of our guests have a positive experience while staying at our inn. We do have process and procedures in place to ensure the comfort and safety of our guests and we hope to present them as a comfort and not a distraction to your experience. We take all feedback very seriously and I will make sure we are inspecting each bed and room to ensure the best experience for our guests. I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to see that.

Matt Schwenker | General Manager
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

I thought that I would give Red Roof another opportunity to prove themselves, but this room is disgustingly run down and dirty. I travel with my dog and I hoped to have a better experience than I did at a Red Roof in VA a few months back, but this hotel was equally ad bad. From the smell to the mold to the peeling wallpaper and torn carpet, the entire experience was horrible. I needed a quick overnight stay just to sleep for a few hours before getting back on the road, but I was afraid to take a shower in the dirty bathroom. The only bright spot was the friendly receptionist, Jason. But I recommend that you stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011