“Wellness”

Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC
Ranked #17 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed May 2, 2014

This is the second time we stayed in a courtyard by Marriott and it was very nice again. I liked the swimming pool and the fitness room a lot. After a workout I could relax in the whirlpool. The staff was very friendly and gave us a warm welcome.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Welcome Back!! And Thank you for your kind review and our team is happy to hear that you had a great stay in Columbia and that you loved our fitness facility! We appreciate your wonderful feedback and we hope to see you again in the near future. Thank you for your business! Holly Penny General Manager

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Great location, in downtown. Near The Vista ,Five Points and The Capitol. The rooms are always clean, ther service is always top notch. Nice lobby bar. This place is great for families, couples or singles. You won't wrong with this choice

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Hello mc0008,

Thank you so much for the outstanding review of our Courtyard Downtown at USC. We are thrilled that you had a great stay with us and found our staff to be top notch! I am also happy to hear you loved our locatoin being downtown at USC near the Vista, Five Points and the Capitol. I am also glad to hear you like our lobby bar. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel next time you’re in Columbia, SC!

Happy Travels,

Reviewed April 16, 2014

This is the second time I have tried writing a review about the Courtyard by Marriott in Columbia. I did the first a week ago but for some reason my review has been taken down so I shall try again so that you can decide whether to stay there or not. I have had longer to consider the place too, and am far less complimentary than in my original piece so I hope you find it a more valuable contribution.

The background to my stay is that an old school friend of mine and I are sharing one of those birthdays that are part celebratory and part intimations of mortality. Either way, it ends in a '0' and we decided that we needed a pre birthday present to ourselves, so we signed up for a trip to the Masters golf tournament at Augusta and our package had us staying in Columbia at the Courtyard.

First the good things about it: it is very conveniently placed for downturn, especially the Gervais Street corridor where the majority of bars and restaurants are to be found. The hotel is welcoming and spotlessly clean, if a tad soulless. I would not dream of bringing my wife here as it is far too utilitarian for her tastes but for two blokes sharing a double room it is more than adequate and far from expensive. One bar of complimentary soap for five days seemed mean but at least we had brought our own.

Our comfortable and spacious room faced Assembly Street, which can be very noisy, with the nearby railway station vying with the main road for which can generate most traffic. Amtrak horns can be particularly annoying during the early hours of the morning.

However, the biggest ground for complaint is the bar. I have never fathomed why so many people who do not enjoy other people's company decide that bar work is their vocation, but the barman at the Courtyard is most certainly one of those. Unsmiling and barely co-operative his presence behind the bar made me look elsewhere to enjoy a drink. Whilst everyone from the chambermaids to Keith, the wonderful hotel shuttle bus driver, could not have been more helpful and friendly this fellow cast a cold chill across the premises.

The bar also closes early with no drinks served after 11.00 pm. Beer is available from a self service cold unit near reception but being unable to get a glass of wine or a glass of spirits in a hotel of this standard is downright daft. The minibar in our room was also empty. Even more incredible that a business such as Marriott can ignore lots of thirsty golf tourists all more than happy to pay whatever it takes to get a drink in the hotel where they are staying.

So, if you need a clean, convenient, affordable base in Columbia then the Courtyard is the place for you. But I would not recommend you stay here for any more than a short break and head for Gervais Street if you want a drink as the staff in all the establishments I visited during my five day stay run rungs around the surly barman in this hotel. He does the rest of the staff no favours at all.

Room Tip: Unless you want to be deafened by Amtrak hooters and traffic noise make sure that you do not have a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Golfing-Steve
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Thank you for providing such valuable feedback during your recent trip for the Master’s Golf Tournament I appreciate your wonderful feedback regarding our staff but apologize that we were unable to provide you with the outstanding service we are known for. I am also sorry that the nearby train noise was very disrupting during your stay. I will ensure you that we learn from your feedback and will use it to coach and train so that ALL associates, including our bartending staff, are providing the outstanding service that we are to provide 24/7, 365. Please contact me personally if you return to the area. I would love to handle your accommodations and ensure you get a very quiet room and great service from ALL of our staff. Thank you again for the valuable feedback.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed one night while touring the USC campus. Very friendly front desk staff. They provided helpful information about the city and more importantly about the campus. The room had 2 double beds and was clean. Very nice lobby and restaurant area, but I felt the breakfast was too expensive for the area. We ate elsewhere. My only issue was with the VERY tight parking spaces in the covered parking. There is additional outdoor parking. Certainly worth the stay.

Room Tip: I faced the new USC exercise facility on a top floor. Would ask for that view again.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Traveler P
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you for staying at the our Courtyard. We love taking care of guests and look for ways to exceed their expectations. Thank you for providing such wonderful feedback regarding our friendly front desk staff and clean accommodations. I will share your comments with our team. As you mentioned, our complimentary parking can be tight in the garage when traveling in a larger vehicle, but we do have the open air parking on the main (top) level. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope that you visit us again during your next trip to Columbia, SC.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

This is one of my favorite Courtyards that I stay at. It is very convenient to downtown and many restaurants. Parking is tight though. No Bistro at this location which makes it even better! Good breakfast with nice wait staff. Comfortable rooms though it is better not to have a room on Assembly St, as it can get noisy. Overall very nice stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank David H

Thank you so much for the kind review! It is great to here such great comments, especially from one of our regulars. We are in a very convenient location as we are in surrounded by USC and close to the Main Street attractions and The Vista. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and the outstanding service you received by our waitstaff! I look forward to sharing your comments with our staff and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Friendly, outstanding service beginning when you walk in the door. Updated modern lobby with well kept breakfast area. Guest room was quiet, very clean and comfortable, but showing its age and needs to be updated. Overall experience was very good.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BCC3
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Many thanks for your fantastic review and for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. Our team is committed to striving to exceed your expectations and we are happy to hear our efforts have been well received. We are delighted to have had the pleasure of accommodating you. If business or leisure brings you to Columbia, SC, we look forward to warmly welcoming you back! Thank you again.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Front desk personnel, Erica, on Feb 16, 2014 answered the call to assist our family. Erica's professionalism and responsible decorum put our family's mind at ease. Thank you Erica for agreeing to assist. We look forward to hearing from you and trust that Holly Penny will be available Monday.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Hello Ms. Julia T,

It was a pleasure speaking with you this afternoon. I am very pleased to hear that Erica was able to provide you with such professionalism and was also able to put you and your family at ease during such a difficult time. Erica is a true asset to our team and I look forward to sharing your comments and feedback with our entire team. Thank you again and as always, it is our pleasure to serve you!