“Great Stay”

Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC
Ranked #17 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Purchased last minute just for a getaway. Hotel was great, clean, easy access from Columbia, Parking is tight but its an older building, no big deal. several comments about it being bad but we felt it was just fine. Just be careful as you should be. Front desk staff outstanding, professional and fast. Room larger than most modern rooms, clean and provided all you need for a nights stay. couch and sitting area, bath slightly small but adequate. Bartender at lounge was outstanding, one of best long island iced teas ever had. got room on priceline for half what listed for so wonderful evening away from home. We would stay here again even at listed price. Check out was easy, courteous and they reqested our input into how our stay went. Perfect night.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We are very happy to hear about your experience with us. Your comments will be passed on to the appropriate individuals and the staff will be recognized for their efforts. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I was only here for one night but this courtyard did impress me. The rooms were average to a bit larger than most of the courtyards I have stayed in. It still had the orangish accent furniture though. The TV was large and LED. The staff was very courteous and efficient. The entrance is very open with a separate breakfast area. There is a bar that is open until 10'ish nightly. Parking at this location is free but very tight on the first level. There is a second level for larger vehicles. This is a plus near the university. Overall… a very nice stay. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Thanks for your feedback! We are glad you chose to stay with us during your time in Columbia and are pleased to hear that it was a nice visit. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I love it when these downtown hotels actually have some size to there rooms. I had a king size room with plenty of room. Of course all the normal things you expect where good like clean rooms and common areas. The staff all seemed to be very pleasant as well.
There was three things that kept me from giving the hotel five stars. One was I didn't need housekeeping service for my room and I told the housekeeper and all was fine, then she had me initial her cleaning sheet. Wow to think that she had to cover herself, this is just not the way a company should trust there employees, and or employees shouldn't have to feel like they can't be trusted. The second is small but seems to be a common trend for those chains offering a breakfast buffet in there hotels. When you put out plates for the buffet and they have sat out all night, as soon as you put your eggs on the plate they become cold. I knew the eggs in this case where hot because they were obviously two different temperatures, hot & cold. Run the plates through the dishwasher in the morning to warm them, the sanitizing cycle will heat them up enough to keep them warm through breakfast. The third was the TV. Yes the TV was a flat screen, however it no HDMI hookups. Would love to been able to watch my movies on the TV instead of my PC.
Don't get me wrong, I think the place was really nice, fitness center was clean and plenty of equipment, the laundry room was also clean and reasonably priced.
The parking lot looks like it could be cumbersome, if you have a choice I would bring the smaller car as some of the parking is a parking garage.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad to hear that you found your accommodations up to standard and enjoyed your visit. We hope that you will continue to choose our hotel when you are in the area.

In regards to having guests sign off for "no service"; This was a practice that was put in place some time ago. We now have a new Director of Housekeeping. I will address this with her and see if we can cease this process. We fully trust our team and do not want to send the wrong message to our guests. Your concern is very valid and I assure you that it will be addressed.

Thank you for bringing up the issue with the cold plates in the buffet area. I have never heard of putting the plates back through the washer in the mornings in order to keep the plates warm. I will inform our Restaurant Manager of this practice and see if we can put it in place immediately. If it provides a better quality of food for our guests, we are certainly all for it!

In regards to the television not having the HDMI hookups; Unfortunately, none of our televisions have this accessibility. When it comes time to upgrade the televisions again, I will be sure to request to have the new televisions to come equip with the HDMI hookups.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed while in town for a couple of days. The front desk staff is very nice and accommodating. The rooms are very clean- housekeeping was very thorough. The staff at the bar were also very nice. It's a great location- within walking distance to the downtown area. The only thing is that it's an uphill walk to get to the downtown area.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road are noisier due to current construction
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Thanks for your feedback! I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit and our staff provided you with the type of service that one should expect from a Courtyard by Marriott hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We have stayed here many times, the staff is excellent and the property is clean. However, Assembly Street is being ripped out and repaved at night. If you are on that side of the hotel, the noise level is extraordinary.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the side away from Assembly Street.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for sharing your feedback GOarmywife! You will be happy to know that the Assembly Street construction is now complete! Our staff is extremely happy as well about this. We can't wait to welcome you back again so you can see the changes!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I was staying here for a business trip. The lobby and bar area were very nice. The rooms were ok, I've seen better at Marriotts. The parking wasn't great, the covered portion of the parking lot is very tiny and hard to get around. I didn't feel so comfortable parking on the second floor of the parking garage at night by myself so ended up on the on the upper deck outside. The noise is a huge problem at this hotel. They are doing construction 24 hours a day, which makes for a very loud night when people are trying to sleep. Had I known the construction was going to continue into the night hours I would have requested a room on the backside of the hotel since I had to be up at 5am. The air conditioner is also very loud and disturbing going on an off throughout the night. Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Greetings SMA2003! Thanks for sharing your feedback. I am sorry to hear that the road construction made for an unpleasant experience for you. Luckily the road work is done so guests are able to sleep easy at night now. In regards to parking; during your next visit, please feel free to park in the open air parking lot behind the hotel. The spaces there are much more vehicle friendly on busier nights. Our staff can direct you on how to get there should you need assistance. Also, please feel free to request to have a staff member walk you to and from your vehicle if you ever feel unsafe. Our staff is here 24/7 to assist you in any way possible.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and we look forward to our next opportunity to welcome you back again in the future!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stayed here one night en route to Charleston. The hotel is very well appointed and the room was very clean. The bed was very comfortable. The breakfast service was very good. Staff were all very friendly and helpful. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

We appreciate your feedback! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us as you traveled to Charleston! I will be sure and share your feedback with the entire team and encourage them to keep up the great work!