WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC

Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC
Ranked #17 of 97 Hotels in Columbia
maryland
“Very close to USC but rather loud”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

This hotel is very close to USC and provides free parking (very tight)...this would be only reason why I would stay there again. The hotel is nice enough and clean but our room was at the very end of the hall and I swear I heard people and doors slamming all night long. The construction going on outside the hotel on the street was very loud as well. The front desk staff wasnt overly friendly but they weren't mean either. We got a good deal on the rate but would probably stay somewhere else if ever in the area again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Hello! Thanks for your feedback. I am sorry that your visit was not as good as it could have been. I can certainly understand your frustrations with the road construction that was going on during your visit. Luckily, all of the loud construction is complete and the noise is no longer an issue.
In addition, I would like to apologize for our staff providing you with, what I would call, average service. We strive to provide all of our guests with a memorable experience, but for some reason did not accomplish this during your visit. I assure you that this has been addressed with the team.

I hope that you will reconsider and stay with us again in the future. I assure you that your next experience will be much better.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback through TripAdvisor!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

what a great hotel the staff was so friendly and helpful any request you had was taken care of immediately parking was a little tight but big deal it was free we highly recommend this hotel it made our stay in Columbia wonderful we hope to stay again

Room Tip: trust the staffs opion I would
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you for your feedback! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. Our staff strives to provide all of our guests with the type of service that they expect from Marriott. I will congratulate them on a job well done!

Thanks again and we look forward to the next opportunity to welcome you back again!
Columbus. Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Staff are fabulous here. This was our third stay in 2 years, and we love how friendly and helpful the staff are. The building is showing some age, and parking is no fun [it's an urban hotel...]. But linens were thick and fluffy, a missing hairdryer was replaced in minutes, and the happy hour buffet is always a welcome sight.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for submitting your feedback through TripAdvisor! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. I am glad to hear that our staff quickly handled your request for a hair dryer. I will encourage them to keep up the great work.

I am also happy to say that we are preparing for our Courtyard Bistro transformation. A firm date is not yet set, but it should be sometime in 2014. We are working out the details as we speak! Please come back and visit us so you can see the transformation!

Highlands, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

I have always found the rooms, front desk and food great. Wonderful location. I highly recommend it! Everyone makes you feel comfortable like home. The only thing is parking is tight ... Go to the third floor, much better
Come visit and have a great stay

• Stayed September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thank you for being such a loyal guest to our hotel. We appreciate your business and we are delighted to hear that you enjoy your visit each time you stay. If there is anything we can do to make your next visit extra special, please let us know!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

The location, service, and staff were great. I appreciated the free parking. The edifice itself is definitely showing wear and tear in the room. However, the linens were clean. (I appreciate bedding and duvets that get laundered.). The shower was great. The breakfast buffet was a great value.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for staying and sharing your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit. I will congratulate the team on a job well done.

You mention that the hotel is showing it's age; I am very pleased to say that we will be going through some changes in 2014 that will definitely help in this area. I hope that you will come back and visit us to see the changes!

Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to our next opportunity to serve you!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night with my wife. We live in Columbia but we got this room through an auction... enjoyed the evening Downtown very good breakfast in the morning parking was a bit of a hassle but overall a good experience. Pillows too soft.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank PaulRP
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for submitting your feedback! We enjoyed having you in our hotel and are glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit. Your feedback is always appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Clayton, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is an ideal location near to USC. The staff is very friendly. There are many restaurants near by. HVAC worked great. Now the bad:
1) Parking is terrible. There is an attached parking garage with small parking spots that are difficult to navigate, especially when trying to get stuff out of your vehicle. There is limited outside parking, but it's a long walk into the motel.
2) The towels are worn & thin. Time for new ones, guys.
3) I had a suite, but the towel rack and a handicap grab bar were loose and coming away from the wall.
4) After entering my room and closing the door, I was greeted with the remnants of a large spider smashed into the wall behind the door.
This is obviously a motel that Marriott changed into a Courtyard. It is showing its age and is in need of updating to bring it into the 21st century. I was especially disappointed because the GM seemed like a nice guy when I spoke to him the night before in the lobby. The lady behind the desk offered me no condolences or options when I gave her a list of defects.
Looks like I'll be staying some where else my next trip to Columbia.

Room Tip: Choose a good room at the Residence Inn or Marriott downtown.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank amxpress
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback through TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear of the not so good experience you had while at our property. The issues you encountered are not typical for our property and I assure you that we have taking action to ensure that other guests do not experience the same issues.

You mention renovations and updating; I am pleased to say that we will be converting to the Courtyard Bistro next year. This will include a full lobby renovation and light renovations on our guest rooms. It will truly be a brand new stay and I hope that you will give us another chance to welcome you back to see the changes!