“Aging Courtyard Inn needing renovating”

Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC
Ranked #19 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is an ideal location near to USC. The staff is very friendly. There are many restaurants near by. HVAC worked great. Now the bad:
1) Parking is terrible. There is an attached parking garage with small parking spots that are difficult to navigate, especially when trying to get stuff out of your vehicle. There is limited outside parking, but it's a long walk into the motel.
2) The towels are worn & thin. Time for new ones, guys.
3) I had a suite, but the towel rack and a handicap grab bar were loose and coming away from the wall.
4) After entering my room and closing the door, I was greeted with the remnants of a large spider smashed into the wall behind the door.
This is obviously a motel that Marriott changed into a Courtyard. It is showing its age and is in need of updating to bring it into the 21st century. I was especially disappointed because the GM seemed like a nice guy when I spoke to him the night before in the lobby. The lady behind the desk offered me no condolences or options when I gave her a list of defects.
Looks like I'll be staying some where else my next trip to Columbia.

Room Tip: Choose a good room at the Residence Inn or Marriott downtown.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank amxpress
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback through TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear of the not so good experience you had while at our property. The issues you encountered are not typical for our property and I assure you that we have taking action to ensure that other guests do not experience the same issues.

You mention renovations and updating; I am pleased to say that we will be converting to the Courtyard Bistro next year. This will include a full lobby renovation and light renovations on our guest rooms. It will truly be a brand new stay and I hope that you will give us another chance to welcome you back to see the changes!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great room, seems to be newly renovated. Nice sheets, tall shower, good water pressure. Pretty good breakfast with made to order eggs and nice sitting area with plenty of space and tables. Waitstaff was attentive.

Stayed: August 2013

Thanks for sharing your feedback! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit. I will be sure to share your feedback with our team and encourage them to keep up the great work!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is the perfect location for visiting the University of South Carolina campus. The room rate was discounted as we were there during a freshman orientation session for my son. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. I just wish the limited breakfast was provided with the room. They did offer complimentary parking with the orientation session, however, which was much appreciated!

Room Tip: Nothing in particular about the room, but inquire about deals during university events. Sometimes th...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thanks for sharing your feedback! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your previous visit. We look forward to welcoming you back many more times over the next 4 years!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We have stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Columbia for the 6th time in two years this past weekend. The front desk staff is exceptional and the manager continues to remember us from year to year. Our daughter goes to school at USC and we won't consider staying anywhere else. The hotel is clean, convenient and has easy parking access.

Room Tip: the view towards the coliseum is much nicer than the view of the pool side
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback about our hotel! I am delighted to hear that you enjoy staying with us. We strive to provide all of our guests with a great experience. It is great hearing feedback like this. I will be sure to share it with the team and encourage them to keep up the great work!

We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Overall this hotel was nice and in keeping for what you would expect for a Courtyard. It is very well located to USC. The only three things to be aware of is they charge for parking in a garage that is frightening too small; they charge for a breakfast that is the same as other hotels of similar type provide for free; and, the bathroom is really small.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Hi and thanks for submitting your feedback! I am delighted to hear that our location made your visit a success! We take pride in being so close to the University of South Carolina.

I apologize for the challenging parking situation. The garage spaces are indeed tight and we encourage as many guests as possible to utilize the spaces at the top of the garage which is more spacious.

While we do not offer a free breakfast option, we strive to provide a top quality breakfast product for guests that choose to dine in with us. Our Executive Chef takes pride in his work and I believe that guests enjoy the top notch service that comes with it as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to submit your feedback and we hope that you will continue to choose our hotel when you visit the area!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

The staff were exceptionally friendly. While I was there, the hotel and most of Columbia lost power in a storm, but the staff offered us whatever we'd like for free from the hotel ministore. A great way to placate everybody. I thought it was an exceptional gesture.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thanks for your feedback! Those storms the other night were really strong. Many people, including the hotel, were with out power for a bit. I am glad to hear that our evening Manager, Jae, took the liberty of offering complimentary snacks while you waited on the power to be restored. We strive to make our guests as comfortable as possible when things like this happen. Luckily they don't happen too often :)

Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I needed to be in Columbia for business, and had my daughter with me. I was delayed, so my mother stepped in with my daughter got there ahead of me for one night and checked in early Wednesday afternoon. The room was average at best. Though the windows offered a broad view of the auditorium across the street. After running errands, they came back to the hotel to find an amazing reception. They were so impressed.

I arrived early the next day straight from work, with a report due in hours. I have to admit, I forgot my laptop in my haste to get to Columbia. So I used the hotel's computers in the lobby. So frustrating. The keyboard and mouse were difficult to work. Each computer was loaded with "Word", unfortunately not Microsoft Word. As I struggled through the report, not due to content, but rather the tech tools available, the manager approached and asked if he could help. I explained the situation, and he offered to convert the document to a MS Word doc so I could email it to my colleague. This personal attention to customer needs was GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you Chris Johnson!

There were a couple of drawbacks. The air conditioning in the room coming on and off (often - and it was not set low - 74) sounded as if a plane was landing in the middle of the night, or an industrial generator was turning on. Definitely not the best sleep. The coffee 'pods' did not fit the coffee maker. Careful! And though breakfast was way over priced, the service was friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Be careful about parking in the deck. It's easy to be blocked in.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback through TripAdvisor! I am delighted to hear that our team went above and beyond during your visit. While we cannot immediately change the overall style of our guest rooms, our service standards are maintained to the fullest extent. We strive to greet all of our guests with a smile and watch for cues to offer assistance before being asked.

We will look into the issues with the coffee makers of the room. The coffee "pods" should fit perfectly into the coffee maker. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We will also check the AC unit in your room. I am sure it can be adjusted so that other guests will not experience the same issues that you did.

Thanks again for sharing your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!