“Room”

Ranked #18 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Room”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

While staying at this hotel this past weekend I was not that pleased with the service of the housekeeping staff. My room as not made up on of the days and found hair from past guest on the bed and in the shower. I have never had this happen to me at another hotel. This hotel should take a look at their housekeeping.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adam C
CourtyardColumbia, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us recently. I apologize for the sub standard condition of your room and have reviewed the comments with our housekeeping staff to ensure it does not happen in the future. We take our service standards very seriously and work hard to provide the highest service levels at all time. Thank you for your business. If you are in the Columbia area again, please contact the Hotel in advance and we will be happy to upgrade your reservation to a suite. Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Colleyville, Texas
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I chose this location for its access to the archive library where there are loads of genealogical materials. The hotel was very nice and close to places to eat. It also had covered parking. Good place.

• Stayed March 2012
Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay. Our prime location does make it so convenient to get to USC buildings, the State Capital, Colonial Life Arena and the Entertainment districts. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you soon. Best regards,
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I don't know why people complain at all about this hotel -- it has a lovely modern design and rooms were extremely clean and comfortable. I had no noise issues. At one point some USC students who had been partying got rowdy out on the street at night and police were called to take care of it. I looked out my window and saw what was going on and went to tell my sister in her room and accidentally forgot my room key -- called staff and they came up immediately with another key. We asked them what was going on in the street below due to the police and the woman said, "It's OK, you're safe, just some students who got too loud." She was so reassuring and made us feel better immediately. What happened with the students was NOT the hotel's fault. Overall this is a lovely place in a terrific location close to USC campus, State House grounds, etc and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
CourtyardColumbia, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay earlier this month. We strive to provide the best service possible and exceed our guests' expectations every day. We do have a great location and offer complimentary transportation to several nearby attractions and restaurants including the Five Points Area and Vistas Entertainment district. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed here for several nights during a conference. Nothing much to add to what you may have already read. Staff was efficient and quite nice. In fact, while walking to the parking lot, I was greeted with "Good morning, Sunshine" by someone in housekeeping. Now about that parking lot. It might just be best to drive past the first floor and go to the second or third. I drive a small Prius and I even had problems parking on the main floor. Check was easy. Elevators quick. Room was okay. I had a view of a rooftop. Street view was said to be louder from traffic but also hotter in the late afternoon. Unless you are on the higher floors on the westside, the view is blocked. Air conditioner was a little loud but cooled quickly. Breakfast was good although the first several days they only had two flavors of yogurt. Staff is breakfast ara is always there to keep your coffee cups full with a smile to boot. I went with healthy choices but someone is there to cook your eggs to your liking. Dinner and a bar is available at night but there are plenty of places nearby (The Vista) for fine dining. There are also several places to eat within a half block. Th exercise room was small but enough for me. Towels, headsets, TV for all machines available. Nice touches. Overall, a nice experience. Far better than I thought it was going to be.

Room Tip: West side more scenic but hotter. Go for room over pool on eastside.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. Our staff is the friendliest in Columbia and we take great pride in providing the best service every day. Our parking garage is a bit tight, but the outdoor upper lot has plenty of room for larger cars and trucks. Our location is second to none, closest to the Vistas and Five Points Entertainment districts. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Atlanta
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I stayed here one night during a business trip. Parking on 1st floor is hard to get in and out of. Hotel lobby and staff were wonderful. The room was very clean. The sheets needed to be replaced. They were old - thin and fuzzy (my co-worker did not have this issue in her room). The walls are pretty thin. I had small children next to me. I could hear everything they were saying. Good thing is they got quiet at bedtime. It was a quiet hotel after 10 pm. Within walking distance of great restaurants. Being downtown, you will be able to hear things from the outside. I heard a lady screaming and laughing outside and then sirens during this night. Not a big deal. It is expected to hear this kind of stuff when staying at a downtown hotel. Overall, a good hotel. I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for giving us your feedback on your recent stay with us. We have a great, friendly staff at the Courtyard and work very hard at taking care of all our guests! We do have an outdoor parking lot that is more convenient if you have a larger car or SUV. Our shuttle also can take guests to various locations nearby on a complimentary basis. Thanks again for sharing your comments and hope to see you soon.
Reviewed June 3, 2012

The walls are very thin and you can hear conversations in the next room. We requested a new room b/c the people next door were being loud, but the management was unwilling to accommodate our request. Terrible service!!!

• Stayed June 2012
CourtyardColumbia, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I apologize for the inconvenience of the noise in the room adjoining you. We should have done a better job of resolving the issue and providing the best customer service you expected. I have reviewed the process with my Front Office Manager and will ensure it does not happen again. Thank you for your feedback and hope to see you again soon in Columbia .
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 31, 2012

For the most part, this was a decent Courtyard experience.

Pros:
Consistent rooms, as I have stayed here on more than four different occasions
Under-ground parking
Proximity to restaurants
20 minutes to CAE airport
Some HDTV programming for the LCD screen in the room
Internet included for Gold-level

Cons:
Overwhelming kitchen odors in the dining area during breakfast
Parking is sometimes difficult
No free Wifi

I did not try the spa, and I never use room service. I might have rated this as a 4 if the rates were 20% lower.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate your business. The internet/wi-fi connection is complimentary for all our guests in your room and restaurant/lobby area. We do have an outdoor parking area on the second level which is very easy to access and park for larger vehicles. Thanks again for staying with us! Hope to see you soon!