“very nice in downtown columbia”

Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC
Ranked #21 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Aiken, South Carolina
“very nice in downtown columbia”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

if you have business or pleasure at Univ of SC, it doesn't get any better. every area was spotless. i stayed in this hotel 12-14 years ago and i'm pretty sure it was under a different name. nothing gave the appearance of a 'renovated' hotel. clean, updated, well appointed. when my wife and i checked in, they gave us a room with two queens...always a little humorous to me. called front desk and they had us come down and changed it immediately. moved us up to the top floor w/ a king room. we were on the back of the hotel, the front--facing assembly street--must have better views but it didn't matter, we were only there at night to sleep.

unfortunately, i think USC was having a swim tournament and there was at least one team there that kept us from sleeping as well as we would have liked. it wasn't persistent enough to call the front desk or say anything so that's on me, not the hotel. as other reviews say, parking in the garage is tight! if you have a vehicle of any size, park behind the hotel out of the parking deck.

exercise room is great in courtyards. i've been in several other hotels and this one was one of the best. several ellipticals, treadmills, dumbbells up to 50lbs in 5lb increments. a bench and a cable machine with a variety of exercises. cold water. room temp and refrigerated towels.

eat at california dreamin (right down assembly towards williams brice stadium). GREAT food--our favorite restaurant! and there's an ihop just up from the hotel.

overall a great stay. i would stay here again any time, especially for the price i got on priceline! oh, i don't think i got charged for parking. i'm a marriott rewards member so maybe that's why?! not sure.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing assembly street.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mowguy98

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Greenville SC
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I attended a conference at the hotel and while outward appearances would make this a very good property, a few little things change my opinion - however, all in all, I would probably go back again for convenience to the University or a meeting. Parking fee for the hotel (which is on the website is $10.00 per day and the garage is very narrow (and I have a compact car) but there is an outdoor section that has a little bit more room. Minor issues in room such as lid to ice bucket has moldy looking substance on it; shower would not drain;exhaust fan in bathroom did not work and looked like it had not been cleaned in a while (remember, I look for things when I travel); great business center with extremely fast computers, but I couldn't access a secured website that I use because of their concern for my "security." Nice lounge with bar menu, but the noise and comments coming from the kitchen staff could be heard throughout the bar. Vending Machines on various floors (I tried three) were tempermental. These are little things, and can be overlooked. I reported the housekeeping issues on departure and they were written up on the log so I can only assume someone had not reported them before our stay. I might not be as forgiving if I was paying their premium rate of over $200.00 an evening. I would like to compliment the banquet service. The food was very good and the service exceptional. In fact, the gentlemen who handled it was able to clear and not disrupt the meeting. Perhaps the best banquet service I have witnessed - all by one individual.

Room Tip: Front of the hotel may be better than back since there are trains nearby that can be heard (if you a...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed October 8, 2011

These guys were great. Staff couldn't do enough for you, hotel was clean with a nice ambience, and location was literally on campus- you could easily walk to the athletic facilities or the old campus. Only downside was an extra $10 charge for overnight parking.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
GMCourtyard630, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Thank you for your kind comments about your stay in October. We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback about our Hotel. I hope that we see you again in the near future. We are very convenient to all the USC venues. We also provide complimentary transportation to all the USC Department offices and venues with advance notice. Thanks again!
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Reserved due to convenience during USC Parent's Weekend. For that, room was over twice, but I guess that is supply and demand. For a Courtyard, paying over $220/night was fairly high though. It is close to campus, dorms, football shuttle, and parent's functions for the w/e. Called airport shuttle as soon as we landed and called again after 45 minutes. Still had to wait 15 minutes. It is only a 15 minute drive and there was no traffic. Shuttle driver on personnel cell phone when arrived and continued conversation with whomever for another 5 minutes. Check-in smooth, room was clean, beds comfortable, and had all required amenities. Shower inside liner too short though - almost coming out of tub. Needs vent in bathroom as the fog after shower intense, even though did not take that hot of shower. Had to call for room service in afternoon and over heard others mentioning same. The 3 "tubs" of coffee in lobby were all empty at 8:30am and had to inform staff. Work out room nice, and pool with surrounding patio & furniture nice. Boarding pass business center convenient and easy. Check out easy. Late check out no issues. Lobby clean and nice looking. Bar closed at ??? - we got back at 11:15 pm and all shut down (on a Friday night!).

Room Tip: Try and get southern exposure on higher floors. Nice views and quieter.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed August 24, 2011

First, like the hotel has already responded to another reviewer, park in the right area for your vehicle size. I witnessed some poor guy trapped in his parking spot and not able to get out because of the pillars and closeness of other vehicles--he was in a full-size SUV and parked in the area for compact vehicles. It was even tight for my subcompact rental and I made like a 5 point turn to get out of my spot (and I'm a decent driver). Another tip is to back in to a spot or pull through so you're front end out. On to the hotel... I was on a short two-night business trip where I spent little time at the hotel. The rooms were updated, generic, and boring. So was the rest of the hotel. And I like that on these kinds of business trips. I want to do my thing and then be able to chill / sleep at the hotel with a minimum of distraction. I got what I wanted and two good night's sleep as well. The staff were very friendly. One thing I did take notice of was the maintenance staff. The hotel seems to focus on preventative maintenance so the maintenance staff seemed to be very busy keeping things looking good and serviceable. Kudos to the hotel for that.

Room Tip: High floor facing west has great views (but gets super hot)
Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
CourtyardColumbia, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Thank you for your comments and staying with us this past week. We have a great Front Desk staff who are willing to assist with any needs at any time. I appreciate your noticing our Engineering team doing their weekly Room Care. We take great pride in maintaining our guest rooms and it shows! We hope to see you again soon!
Maryland, USA
Reviewed August 17, 2011

My son and I stayed here while on a college visit to USC. The hotel and staff were very nice. Would be five stars if not for the horrible garage - way too many pillars too close together.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
CourtyardColumbia, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I apologize for the tight spaces in the parking garage. The Hotel does have an outside parking area on the second floor for larger cars and trucks. We appreciate you choosing us for your visits to Columbia and USC. We would be happy to reserve an outdoor space just for you when next you visit! Best regards and thanks for your business.
Aiken, South Carolina
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed at the Courtyard at USC on 8/13. We were in Columbia for the Brew at the Zoo at the Riverbanks Zoo.

We got a good deal on the room through Priceline. The property was very clean and up-to-date. Not the typical Courtyard set up in the lobby but that's OK by me. One thing that irritated me a bit was at check in, when I requested a king room, the manager (per his nametag) told me that he didn't think they had any king room available. I told him he should check, and voila!, they did have a king room available. I have booked many rooms using Priceline, but that was the first time I felt like I was treated differently because of it. He made it a point to bring it up and I felt like he was looking down on me when I did it. FYI buddy, if you don't like Priceline, don't participate in it!!

Room was your typical Courtyard room and amenities. I did not care for the bathroom layout, it was a little small. The tub & shower were in the same room as the sink, so it made getting ready in the morning a little problematic for 2 people.

As others have reported, you can hear the train and they certainly like to use the whistle! Hall was quiet did not really hear much noise until the morning when people were leaving.

The parking garage has a very low clearance. I drive a Volkswagen Tiguan (small SUV) and my antenna scraped under the pipes running along the support beams. I am not sure if a large SUV or truck would fit. The spaces are very small as previously reported. I was lucky enough not to get a ding in my car.

A friend that was with us had difficulty utilizing the amenities in the business center. He needed to print out his ticket to our event, and in order to do so, had to reset the router for the internet as the staff did not know how to do that. This is a standard feature in Courtyard properties so I feel the staff should be able to troubleshoot connectivity issues.

We also attempted to utilize the shuttle van for transportation to our event. Again, we use this amenity frequenty when we stay at hotels. They had a van but it did not seem to ever be available. We wound up using a cab instead.

Staff at checkout was very friendly and courteous.

If I recieved this hotel again through Priceline at the price I got this past time, I would be OK with it but I would not book this place with the other choices I have in downtown Columbia.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
CourtyardColumbia, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us on August 7th. Our parking garage spaces are small, but there is an outside lot on the second floor for SUVs and larger vehicles. I appreciate the comments regarding our friendly front desk staff. Our shuttle service is available seven days a week to the Vistas or Five Points Entertainment areas. We appreciate all our Priceline customers! Best regards.