Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC
$125
$100
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsassembly streettypical courtyardoutdoor parkingkoger centerparking garagelight sleepertrain whistlecourtyard by marriottuniversity of south carolinacolonial life arenanice hotelwithin walking distancefree shuttleshuttle servicefront desk staffstate capitolfootball weekend
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We stayed here after a terrible experience at a Marriott property at the beach. Unlike the beach, this Marriott hotel was outstanding. Ann at the front desk was most helpful and Missy, I believe that is the correct name, in the restaurant was just wonderful. Would recommend this hotel very highly.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ncgirl60742
Reviewed July 3, 2011

the service staff here were outstanding! especially alexzandria and victoria. everyone was pleasant and helpful and quick about tending to whatever need we had. The hotel is beautiful and has everything you might need. It was ideally located for us as we attended an event at the Colonial Life Arena and walked there it was only 3 blocks. The hotel has a shuttle that will take you anywhere within a 3 mile radius, all you do is ask. The pool was great and exercise room too. There is no breakfast but there is coffee in the morning and iced tea and cold lemoned water anytime you need it. We loved our stay and hope to stay there again next year!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sdvargo
Reviewed May 24, 2011

My family and some firends recently stayed at the hotel for a concert in town. The location was great and we were able to walk to the venue for our visit. It was also located within walking distance for restaraunts and night life as well.

The staff was extremely hospitable and attentive to all of our needs.

I would stay here again.

It was also great to see several of our country's young servicemen and women at this hotel as well. We teah our children to thank them every time we see them.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank camphorn1
Reviewed February 7, 2011

I had to be in Columbia for an event, and looked for a hotel close to the Koger Center. This was the hotel. I read the reviews here on Trip Advisor, and as I left the hotel I shook my head in wonder at the accuracy of those reviews, and my willingness to overlook some of the things said for the convenience of the location.

The hotel is very centrally located, which is its only real plus. Check-in was easy and cordial, the room was clean (enough) and comfortable except for the noise from Assembly street traffic and the train whistle. I read about these inconveniences before going, so I took ear plugs. In the 8th floor room, the street traffic noise was somewhat diminished but the train was almost like something from another time. I know there are regulations that say a train must blow its whistle at crossings, and let me just say the conductors followed those regulations to distraction. The earplugs and a glass of wine helped.

One thing another reviewer had said was there was a "shortage" of toilet paper. I forgot about that until I saw the roll becoming perilously short of paper. Let me say I travel prepared, but when I mentioned the review and this fact to my niece, she said, "I know! Did you see they only gave us a half of a roll of toilet paper?" What, do they think people are going to steal TP?

Also, only TWO towels, which with two women and two heads of hair is just not enough. There should never be fewer than three towels in a hotel room with two queen beds, and four should be standard.

This $99 a night Marriott appendage had no morning paper. When I asked, the desk clerk said they had some but ran out. Then she tried to direct me to a convenience store down the street to go buy one if I wanted it. Oh my.

Finally, and take this one very, very seriously, the parking garage is one of tiny spaces and concrete pillars that practically beg others to ding the heck out of your car. I had read a review where someone referred to his car getting dinged, so I parked carefully and as close to one of the pillars as nerve allowed; nevertheless, there was a big ugly ding on the side of my beautiful shiny car. The kind someone would really have to put some elbow grease behind in slinging their door open to make such a deep dent. Sort of like they were mad at my car for being parked so close to theirs, even though my car was virtually hugging the post on the other side. Also, since my niece met me in Columbia, we had two cars and we had to pay $10 for her to park overnight, even though the garage was not full. Just another annoying gig to the wallet.

Finally, I don't know what it is about a Marriott that a stay there doesn't include breakfast, but no, breakfast was an a la carte menu of average, over-priced breakfast entrees. We opted for the IHOP a couple of blocks away instead. Same amount of money, but decidedly more enjoyable.

Courtyard Columbia Downtown was average, to say the most.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank JOLLYGOLIGHTLY
CourtyardColumbia, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2011

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay wtih us in February. I apologize for the inconveniences caused. We take our service delivery very seriously and I will be reviewing your comments with our staff to ensure we do better next time. We are constantly training and encouraging our team to do whatever it takes to meet the needs of our guests. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed January 23, 2011

We spent New Year's Eve at this hotel. The staff treated us wonderfully. - checked on us, helped with restaurant choices and directions. The room was very nice - two room suite. Dinner and Breakfast buffet were excellent. We would definitely come back and stay....

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cobrageech
CourtyardColumbia, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2011

Thanks so much for the review of your stay on New Year's Eve. I will be sharing your feedback on the staff and food quality with the team as they do everything they can to ensure our guests have a wonderful experience! We hope to see you soon again in Columbia, Best regards, General Manager