“Closest hotel to state capital”

Rodeway Inn Columbia
Rodeway Inn Columbia
Ranked #83 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed April 30, 2009

There is no closer hotel: it is one block away. The door to the rooms face outside. The rooms were clean, but not spotless. Lots of locks on the doors, and I used them. I did not feel scared from predators, more scared of the bugs I saw crawling outside on the porch. There was a hole in the floor and they were playing in my room when I entered, but scattered out and stayed out while I was staying there. The bathroom floor, behind the door, had not been swept. Parking is underground, which is nice and they let you keep the vehicle there the next day, even after check out. Breakfast was nice and they were friendly and accomodating with the pastries. Pool is outdoor and seasonal.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed November 4, 2008

I usually trust the Choice Hotels brands. In this case I was horribly wrong. The room was in need of a renovation. Peeling paint, areas of "touch up" paint in a different color. Mold in the bathroom, the towel bar was broken, tile was in very poor and disgusting shape. When I woke up, I had red marks on my body from where the springs on the mattress were.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank rdet
Reviewed October 23, 2008

We stayed here for the LSU vs South Carolina game and found the place very helpful,it is downtown Columbia.We walked everywhere even to the game(2 miles away).We had the King suite which is actually 2 rooms(rooms 514&515).It has a living room with a bathroom seperate from the bedroom which has a king bed with a Jacuzzi tub in the room and a 2nd bathroom.So people stop complaining at least I did not pay $200.00 a nite.Plus the parking is free.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2008

Having two years of experience in a hotel in Cincinnati, OH--- and being a college major in Hospitality Management--- I know the difference in a well maintained hotel and a dump. This place was, without a single doubt, a dump.

I had reserved two rooms for my family--- we were coming from Ohio to South Carolina for my older sister's United States Army Bootcamp graduation at Ft. Jackson. It was necessary that we had a great place to stay. We were eleven hours away from home. This was a very important weekend for us.

The pictures we saw on the internet made this hotel look beyond perfect! The location, the pictures, all the reviews we'd read... we honestly thought we were staying at one of the best hotels in the area.

IT COULDNT HAVE BEEN WORSE!

We stayed in rooms 523 and 525. The door to room 523 wouldn't even latch. You had to literally SLAM the door shut just to get it to stay closed.

There was some sort of pizza sauce or pasta sauce of some sort slung across the picture frame above the writing desk.

The beds were well made, yes. But the comforters and pillows were dirty and smelled awful.

The shower in room 525 had obviously not been cleaned. The rest of the bathroom was 'okay.' The shower needed serious attention.

The air conditioning in this room was also busted--- and when we brought this to the attention of the front desk staff--- they offered no help or apologies.

The wallpaper in room 523 was pealing off of every wall.

The table tops and nightstands in both rooms had sticky water rings from previous occupants.

The pool looked NOTHING like the pictures on the hotel website. The water was foggy and green. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months.

The 'complimentary' wireless internet was only 'complimentary' if you could steal signal from the building nextdoor. There was even a sign posted in the elevator that instructed you to connect to the other business' access.

We didn't even THINK of eating the complimentary breakfast.

We were scheduled to stay at this hotel for four nights. We stayed for nine hours--- checked out at 7am the morning after we arrived. We loaded up our belongings (which we didn't even bother unpacking) and headed to my sister's graduation. We left South Carolina that evening.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank mrsdrking
Reviewed May 30, 2008

I stayed with a small group in 5 rooms while in Columbia for a class for 2 nights. Upon arriving, the boy at the desk was very helpful and friendly. Lobby seemed clean and so did the pool area. This is an older hotel so don't expect all the bells and whistles especially for the price. The parking garage was creepy and smelly. We checked in to our room and were greeted by a German roach in the bathroom. We saw 4 total during our stay. The others in our group saw some as well with the exception of one not seeing any in her room. The rooms were a good size but had too much stuff in them and not enough space to lay out anything, The beds slept ok. We had a problem with the OJ at breakfast and they fixed it right away. We did inform them of the bugs. We told the same boy that checked us in and he informed us he would tell management. He was always there and helpful. The rest of the staff did not seem too happy and rarely smiled at us. The location is excellent for resturants, nightlife, and seminars. There were other issues with the overall cleaning that we decided not to worry too much about with the small amount of time we were in the room.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank XZERA
Reviewed May 5, 2008

This was the second worst places i have ever stayed. I didn't feel safe there. The door had to be slammed and body pushed against it to get it shut. and when someone came to the door.. they would have to push while i pulled. Room 404.. DO NOT STAY in. The shower drainage is BAD. Parking is awful, the truck ( F-150) wouldn't even go in the garage. it was more like a tunnel.Plus the parking spaces were very small.My daughter had trouble parking her compact car.we Parked in a garage at the NBSC (Bank) and another car in the garage was vandalized.Be prepared to go out for breakfast. We were here for my brother wedding and all the other hotels was booked. It will be a long time before i visit Columbia SC again.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank linnette37
Reviewed April 13, 2008

I have been in law enforcement for over 26 years and worked narcotics a large percentage of that time. This hotel was the nastiest I have ever been in. We checked in and checked out within 10 minutes. The bed was beyond description. The bed skirt was covered with stains and debris. I could go on. The smell of the stairwell almost made us vomit. All I can say is "DONT" go there.

Stayed: March 2008