“This is acceptable”

Rodeway Inn Columbia
Rodeway Inn Columbia
Ranked #83 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed December 4, 2007

Stayed here for a USC football game, and have been several times before in years past. It is not a "destination" hotel, it works for a place to come in and out of when you go somewhere in Columbia.

The basement parking works fine, it is tricky and yes you have to be careful for about 10 seconds. The basement door stayed locked and I always had to use my key. The free wireless worked ok, unless someone else was online downloading a large file and slowing the whole system. It could use some speed, but worked best in off peak times. Hey, it was free.

I did not eat there, but did not expect to. Hotel is within quick walking distance of The Vista. Great location to walk to from this hoel. You won't find a more affordable hotel anywhere in this area. The beds were OK, the showers were great. I did not have a fridge, wish I did but did not expect one. There is a place to have a cheap breakfast a block down at Drakes Duck In. Try it.

No problems with the TV, several channels, the usual ones you expect-ESPN, TWC, local channels.

I saw nothing "scary" or any problem people that would not be in any other part of downtown. Columbia needs to run those people off for everyone's sake.

I will return. It was nothing special and I got what I paid for. Nothing more and nothing less.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank jrhusc
There are newer reviews for Rodeway Inn Columbia

Reviewed August 4, 2007

I booked this hotel back in March for a Men's Conference located at the Colonial Center in downtown Columbia. I stayed there August 3rd and the hotel was sold out. I knew this might possibility be a dump, but wanted something cheap and within walking distance to the Center (it was about 5 blocks away).

I guess I get what I pay for. I find out that there is a $53 deal if you book online. The lady at the desk told me that she couldn't give me that deal and was stuck with paying $60 ($66.60 with taxes). Got to the room and saw a small fridge which I had requested. There was no microwave (I also requested it). The fridge looked like it belonged in an old dorm room setting. One of the lamps in the room near the door didn't work. That night, I noticed that the TV only got 4 channels and didn't come with a TV remote. I asked the man behind the desk what the situation was. All he said was that the "box" was out and it would take some time to fix it. The hotel supposedly has HBO and numerous channels. Nothing else was said on this matter.

The breakfast line opened at 6:30. There is a very small number of seats in the tiny lounge where food is served. There is a Chick-fil-A attached to the hotel but was closed. The hours of operation were not listed. If you want a seat, come early when the hotel is booked. The food consist of cold croissants w/ butter and jam, blueberry muffins, and two types of cereal. One of the cereal dispensers was broken. The hotel also had a large container of OJ with a spout. At 6:31 when I arrived, the seats were all taken and the single gallon of milk was empty. With tons of hungry men and boys, one would think that multiple gallons of milk would be available!!! NOPE! After 5 minutes of waiting, I left. A staff member was working behind the desk checking people out so I assume nobody else was available.

I did not get a chance to go into the pool which is only opened from 9 til 9.

Parking is available across the street at a parking deck. It is free if you park above Level 4. My car was there for a good deal of time as I walked everywhere. I did not have any problems with that. I remembered to park near the stairs/elevators and bright lights.

Overall, it was ok. There are many more hotels within walking distance but cost over $130 + a night. Some cost $180. I'm glad I was only staying here one night. Do not stay here if you are looking for a relaxing night.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank CoolGuy09
Reviewed May 28, 2007

I came to town to vist my parents and decided to stay downtown. When we got to the hotel they told us to park in a garage. We parked in the garage under the hotel. The next morning I woke up to my trunk wouldn't close and my window was busted in. I went to talk to the manger but he was out of town. The attendent at the desk acted as if he didn't care about the situation. When I spoke to the police they told me this happens all the time at this hotel. My car was not the only one to be broken into there was another truck in which they took all of the lady's valuables inculding her checkbook.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank maine85
deskmatedowntowncola, desk mgr at Rodeway Inn Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2007

Our guest SAFETY is always number one with us. So we do again APOLOGIZE to this guest! Since any incident we DO NOT PARK IN THE UNDER GARAGE any longer this gagage is only for LOADING/ UNLOADING- all guest can still expect free parking but in an adjacent garage. Please accept our truest apologies once more and please give us another try.

DESK MANAGEMENT VR

Reviewed November 29, 2006

what a great hotel for such a good price. right downtown. The women at the desk was so nice! Great breakfast also

4  Thank marygrace4
A TripAdvisor Member
Summerville, SC
Reviewed May 22, 2006

I can't say that the hotel is without any redeeming qualities, but there needs to be some major improvements made. The mattress was UNBEARABLE. I say that, in all caps, because I have never in my life had a worse nights sleep. I couldn't figure it out. It was an "all girl" trip for a friends wedding, so we slept 2 to a bed. When I got up to go to the dreary dungeon of a bathroom, my "bed buddy" rolled into the dip in the mattress. It was like sleeping in a spoon...but if you moved too close to the edge of the bed, you would roll right off into the floor. When we stood back and looked at it, it was obvious the mattress and foundation were in need of replacement. It was as if the side of the mattress were trying to touch the floor. Horrible, at best. I would not say that it was particularly clean, but not filthy. Definitely in need of updating. We didn't try the continental breakfast....after sleeping on those mattresses, we really needed something good! If you're looking for comfy lodgings, this is not the place for you...if you're looking for cheap, this isn't it either. I'll post again when I figure out who the ideal clientele should be!

Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Thanks for this post- our property ask for your forgiveness and for a return visit. We have updated our bedding and ask if all could please come for a visit- we appreciate your feedback and hope we are never too late to make amends. please contact us youll be surprised by our property

Reviewed April 2, 2006

This place, as stated above, is outdated and in dire need of updating. I stayed for the Carolina Cup '06 the friday before and the night of the race. Served it's purpose, place to sleep, shower and get ready. Agree that the parking basement is at best sketchy and dangerous. Also the door that is supposedly only opened with a room key is open all night.

Staff was friendly however, we were supposed to have a mini-fidge and checked in only to find that we didnt have one. After a phone call to the desk, the manager and another staff memeber brought one up to our 4th floor room. Also set us up with cab service to 5-points both friday and saturday night.

One downside was that there was a Chic-Fil-A adjacent to the lobby which we had breakfast at but when we returned at 6:00 on saturday it was closed? Whasssup with that.

Overall it was nothing great, small room, scketchy parking basement. Would I stay again....No way.

• Stayed: April 2006
2  Thank snutz69
Reviewed February 25, 2006

This was a last minute booking for a conference and was nearby. The website was appealing and inviting. However, the hotel left a lot to be desired. The parking in the basement was frightful. Incoming and outgoing cars all used the same ramp with only hidden mirrors to avoid head on collisons. The elevator was also outdated and extremely slow. The security door from the parking garage was open and did not require a key. The rooms were extremely small and the wireless internet connection only works on one bed not throughout the entire room. There were not enough bath towels or cloths to go around. We were also asked to come and get our own bath towels when we called the front desk. Where is the hospitality? The furniture was old and outdated. The headboard was not even attached to the bed or the wall. We will not even address the mattress. It was about three inches tall.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business