“Hilton Honors (Silver and Below) Members - Beware”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbia - Greystone
Ranked #17 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Fishersville VA
“Hilton Honors (Silver and Below) Members - Beware”
Reviewed December 26, 2009

As we're all aware, HH members, regardless of stature, are entitled to free Wi-Fi. But not at this hotel. Owned by John Q. Hammons, which holds a "franchise" of the Hilton chain, deems it necessary to only specifically grant free Wi-Fi to GOLD HH members ONLY. This meant that my wife and son had to leave the safety of the hotel to visit a local McDonald's that had a sign stating "Free Wi-Fi" in order for them to get directions for their continued drive on to Florida. NOT GOOD AT ALL. I will be writing to corporate Hilton as well as the franchise owners about this problem - one of them is lying about policy, and I intend to get to the bottom of this mess. So, if you're visiting the Columbia SC area, and you need Internet access, visit one of the seedy motels that offer it or visit the local McDonald's instead. This "franchise" called Greystone does not live up to the quality standards of Hilton, and it deserves a big THUMBS DOWN.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank johnrudolph4726
CAEGS, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbia - Greystone, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thanks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Polish first
New Haven, CT
Reviewed December 3, 2009

Here for one night with good results. Nice clean rooms with above average beds, tvs, furniture, etc. Free business center and printing. Shuttled me to local business the next morning. Breakfast was free and abov average for free breakfasts.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank ikappab
Alliance, OH
Reviewed September 8, 2009

I stayed at the hotel with my husband & son for the weekend so we could go to the Zoo. The hotel was very nice. The staff was not very friendly at all. When we checked in, we were not greeted. I tried to talk to the person checking us in and he didn't seem very interested. After I paid, he just handed me keys and stepped away. I had to ask where the elevators were located and the room. He didn't tell us where the pools or fitness center were located I work in the hospitality industry and we ask guests if it is their first trip and we let them know where their rooms & elevators are located. I got nothing. Not a have a nice day or stay. When we checked in, there was water all over the floor by the fridge and the maintenance guy that come was very nice. When we went to explore and look around, there was a staff member walking behind us. When I noticed him and stepped to the side, I apologized and he just looked at me and kept going. No one really said hi nor were they friendly at all. Overall, the hotel is nice and spacious, but I don't know if I would stay there because of the cold service that I received. When we go back, we will probably choose somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank jleigh1484
CAEGS, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbia - Greystone, responded to this review, October 17, 2009
I would like to personally apologize for the inconvenience you experianced at our property. Please let us know if we can do anything for you for your service issues.
Georgia
Reviewed June 21, 2009

We were on our way to our honeymoon and decided to stay here so that we didn't have to drive all day. We arrived about 11pm and we were instantly confronted by a bum off the street claiming that he needed money for gas to go home b/c his daughter was in a wreck. After this, I went in to get us checked in. When I came out, we began unloading our car and we were approached again by a different person needing money for something. They both left without hesitation after we told them we "needed to go check in." They do have security cameras and a security guard in the parking lot. We confronted the front desk staff after this because we were going to try and get our money back and go somewhere else. They seemed very surprised and upset about the situation and were very eager to help. They told us where the security cameras were located and where the security guard was at so that we were able to walk our dogs near his location. Hotel and staff are nice and clean, we just recommend that if you stay here, to check in before dark or either beware of the bums!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mgmd0620
Durham, NC
Reviewed May 16, 2009

Just returned home from a 3-day visit to Columbia, SC where we stayed at the Embassy Suites. The hotel was clean and nicely updated. Our room was large and comfortable - plenty of pillows, towels, etc. Having a mini-fridge in the room was great and the two-room suite made it possible for us to return the hotel for naptime in the faternoon and have a nice break. We took advantage of breakfast both mornings - omelets were quite good! Pleny of selections for everyone. We also enjoyed the manager's reception one evening and were pleasantly surpided that it was set up outside the hotel bar, making it family friendly. Nice light snacks to go with the complimentary drinks. We used the pool as well and that wasa big hit. It was very clean and we had the whole area to ourselves. The cons? We were charged $9.95 for internet access although we are Hilton Honors Platinum members (disputing this with HiltonHonors now) which I thought was rather ridiculous. Every hotel in the world offers free WiFi these days and I expect that from Embassy Suites especially. Also, they need to get some new blankets. Both blankets in our room were pretty rattty. Hotel is super-convenient to the Riverbanks Zoo and abot 3 minutes from Downtown. We will stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank mrsmnc
CAEGS, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbia - Greystone, responded to this review, May 19, 2009
Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites during your visit to the Columbia Area. We appreciate your loyalty and hope to see you soon.
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed May 5, 2009

This was our second stay at this Embassy Suites. Our daughter attends the University of South Carolina so it won't be our last. Everything was great, check in was a breeze, the room was more than big enough with all the great features Embassy Suites offers. The breakfast was outstanding, it is one of our favorites, hard to believe it's in the Hilton chain! Hampton Inn & Homewood Suites could take a lesson on a real breakfast, one without the grease! Fantastic omelets made to order, pancakes, fresh fruit, french toast, bacon and oh sooooo much more! The Manager's two hour open bar is nice BUT, we did visit family staying in an Embassy Suites in Tyson's Corner, VA and wow what a difference in the Manager's Receptions! Ours was boring with pretzels & tortilla chips, that's it! Theirs had chili, pasta salad, chips, tortilla chips, salsa, cheese, and more! However, looks like Embassy Suites will move to the top of our hotel list! We're hoping they finally get sick of putting out the same chips/salsa but I don't think so since it was the same as it was last August!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank JLESarasota
Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites during your visit to the Columbia Area. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to seeing you soon.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed February 26, 2009

I travel for work almost every week and stay in Hiltons almost exclusively. I feel like I can be a pretty harsh critic sometimes on some pretty nitpicky things. However, I really liked this hotel. The service went above and beyond. I was having trouble with my internet and they sent a service person up to my room to actually fix my computer (which was the real problem). The person at the front desk upon checking in was extremely gracious and nice.

As for my room, it was a typical Embassy Suites room. It was obviously updated and had all the amenities that you would expect. My only complaint was the bathroom. It had some discoloration/mold on the caulk around the tub. The shower itself though was wonderful - great water pressure and consistent temperature. The room was also very quiet. I did not hear a single thing from outside once I got into my room. That seems to be a rarity anymore.

While I did not partake in the manager's reception, I did get a glimpse and it seemed very nice with plenty of snacks. I did order room service and it was very good and fast. They even came and took away the tray immediately. Very nice.

I would definitely stay in this hotel again. I personally had a good experience.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business