“Did not meet expectations”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbia - Greystone
Ranked #20 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
“Did not meet expectations”
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a block for a cheer competition. The rooms were ok, but they were out of pillows, sheets, and blankets. I asked the person who checked me in how much the total was, and he never answered me. My friend made the reservations, and she had a confirmation that said $119 or $129/night. It was $159/ night. The pool was indoor, but the "indoor landscaping" had cockroaches in the mulch. Gross. Very dissatisfied overall with this stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
CAEGS, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbia - Greystone, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
First off, let me thank you for your business and comments. We appreciate the kind words regarding the rooms. Room rates can be different, depending on when the reservation is made and bed type requested. Our hotel is very unusual, as we have alot of life plants throughout the hotel. These life plants and soil, do come with bugs. They are treated by a professional exterminating company, but you still can have critters escape at times. We apologize for this. Thanks again for your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Polish first
Summerville, SC
Reviewed March 7, 2014

This is a great place to stay. The staff is very friendly and the hotel is clean. The complimentary breakfast and manager's reception are fantastic. I highly recommend this hotel. Easy access to the interstate and zoo.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thanks for the business and nice comments. We appreciate the wonderful comments regarding staff, breakfast, rooms, etc. Thanks again
pittsburgh, United States
Reviewed March 2, 2014

You will not be disappointed!!!! I enjoyed every moment, the staff is amazing, the hotel is always clean and neat. The bellman are awesome. The breakfast buffet is very good. The afternoon happy hour was also very good. The location of this hotel was perfect.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

1 Thank Dawn H
CAEGS, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbia - Greystone, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
We thank you for the business and comments. We appreciate the kind words regarding our staff, hotel cleanliness and services that hotel provides. Thanks again.
Chocowinity, United States
Reviewed February 26, 2014

My wife and I had a wonderful weekend at the Embassy Suite Hotel in Columbia, SC. The hotel was fabulous, and the staff very friendly and helpful. Any questions we had were answered in a friendly and efficient manner, and we had no problems the whole weekend.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Rodney S
CAEGS, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbia - Greystone, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thanks for the wonderful comments and business. Glad you enjoyed hotel and staff.
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for an event/convention for a workshop of shag dancers, and it was definitely one of the best stays I have had. They supplied breakfast each morning which was either buffet with a large selection or cooked to order omelets. Great service. And I will definitely stay here the next time I am in Columbia, SC

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

1 Thank kathleenb877
Thanks for your wonderful comments and business. We pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and staff.
Rutherfordton, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I was not happy to be charged for a bottle of water supplied in room. I received an e-mail after leaving the hotel. If I had not been 3 hours away I would have returned it. The hotel was beautiful and the staff was very gracious.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

1 Thank Diane C
The large bottles of water that are in the rooms, have a tag on them that advertise that they are $3.00 each. We are sorry that you didn't understand how that works. Thanks for your business and it still appears that you enjoyed the rest of your stay, as you gave us 4 out of 5. Again thanks and sorry for the confusion with the water.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 25, 2014

When we booked the reseveration, I was informed that the hotel was close to capacity due to an event hosted by the Palmetto Shag Club. Upon entering the lobby, I noticed that there were lots of people hanging around socializing. I assumed we would be given a room far away from the action since we were not a part of the event.

They gave us a first floor room very close to the area where the manager's reception is held and breakfast is served. I thought "this is not going to be good." I assumed the room would be nosey because we were so close to the center of actvity. I was pleasantly surprised. The two room suite was a nice size. The room itself was very long. There was even a door (with a lock) that separated the two room. When we sat in the living area, I could hear the noises outside. But, it was during the manager's reception and I expected that. Once we were in the bedroom, I couldn't hear anything.

The manager's reception was adequately staffed. I thought I would have to wait a long time for a beverage because of the amount of people in the hotel for the Palmetto Shag Club event. During the manager's reception, they had 2 lines - one for beer & wine and the other for mixed drinks. They also had a special mixed drink for the Shag event. I wanted to try it but the line on that side was too long so I just drank wine. They also offered chips & salsa and veggies with ranch & blue cheese.

Overall, I was very satisfied with the hotel and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a first floor room near the breakfast/reception area. Initially, I didn't think this was...