“Lucky to only have $1,000 in damage and theft”

Baymont Inn & Suites Columbia Northwest
Ranked #22 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed July 15, 2008

Travelers beware...

Surely there is a better choice for overnight stay in the area than the Courtyard Marriott in Columbia NW, SC!!! During our overnight, a Wednesday, EVERY vehicle in the parking lot was burglarized.

We were fortunate to have minimal damage compared to other vehicles and minimal loss of propert. Some business travelers had losses nearing $10,000 in computer equipment, tools, gps systems.

Having 8 years as a police officer and investigating these types of crimes, only offenders who are very comfortable with the area take the time to methodically hit every, single vehicle. While waiting to complete the report, we noticed broken glass from previous break-ins in the cracks of the pavement. According to the police, it's a very common occurrance here.

I saw zero evidence of effort on the part of Courtyard to prevent future incidents.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank slowdog55

Reviewed February 8, 2008

Nicely updated Courtyard hotel. Lobby, restaurant and all public areas are nicely redone and high quality. Rooms were also very nice, new carpeting, bathroom fixtures and great mattress with top notch bedding. Wireless internet was fast and free. The area surrounding the hotel is horrible. This is basically a safe haven in the middle of the ghetto. The other hotels in the immediate area are seedy and i have to say i didn't feel very safe venturing out away from the hotel. As far as the previous reviews about car vandalism i have to say i believe every word of it. I didn't feel comfortable leaving my rental car parked in the lot (but what else are you supposed to do?). So to sum it up, despite the fact that the hotel proper is very nice I cannot recommend this Courtyard simply because of the dangerous / seedy area it's located in.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank michtraveler1969
Reviewed January 29, 2008

After reading the many negative reviews I was pleasantly surprised at this hotel. My room was located down the hall from the lobby on the first floor. It was clean and spacious. The flatscreen tv was another plus. There is a Wallmart across the highway and plenty of restaurants close by. The free coffee in the lobby was nice. The breakfast looked good but we did not eat there. It was a buffet for $8.95 Had a great trip.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank harryo99
Reviewed December 30, 2007

I must disagree with the older reviews!! I just stayed at this Courtyard and had a wonderful stay!!! They must have completed a renovation because all rooms were like "new". I was pleasantly surprised to find a 32 inch flat screen TV awaiting me when I walked into my room. The staff was extremely nice and breakfast although not included in my rate was awesome. Thanks and I will return again.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2007

I'm a Marriott Platinum member and have stayed at quite a few Courtyards. This is one of the older Courtyards and it shows. The bedding (Nov '06) was the older style, my internet connection didn't work so I had to be moved, parking lot was dark and scary. I would definately choose the other Courtyard next time I stay in the Columbia area.

• Stayed: November 2006
Reviewed April 26, 2007

We tried to get a room at the Marriott downtown, and since they were full, we were sent here instead. What a disappointment!

I stayed here on business w/ a coworker, and both of our rooms were shameful. Mine was marked no-smoking, but absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke. It was damp, the carpet was sticky, and we were both just a little nervous with the area of town it's in - looks like they're currently "revitalizing" the area, so maybe it'll be better in a year. Bed was okay, but not great and pillows were a bit musty (on both beds - yuck). Perhaps this hotel was nice at one time ... but currently it is NOT. It's currently undergoing renovations - to be fair - and I hope those renovations are completely as quickly as possible.

On a positive note, the breakfast was fantastic. :) Front desk help was not great when we arrived ~ 10pm, but the morning desk clerk was friendly and helpful. I very much would advise you to find somewhere else to stay!!! Especially if you're a female traveling alone.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
Thank mrs.thanks
Reviewed January 18, 2007

I should have taken the advice of Trip Advisor!!! I read the reviews, saw that it was ranked 44 of 77 in the city and thought, "it's close to where I need to be and how bad can a Marriott Courtyard be?" I stay at a lot of different hotels and a lot of Marriott’s. This is the dirtiest Marriott property, including all Marriott brands, that I have ever stayed at. Dirty walls, nasty looking box springs, old and damged furniture uncomfortable bed, poor phone line, high speed internet that did not work and very, very loud. Also, I echo the review of December 15th in that; very poorly lit rear parking area in a less than desirable neighborhood. The desk staff at check-in was also rude and very slow in initially responding. A couple of young people who were cutting up in the back that took their time in getting to me with a warm welcome of “last name?” I turned in a response card with my displeasure when I checked out and have yet to hear from anyone at the property.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business