“Beware!!!”

Ranked #29 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Beware!!!”
Reviewed April 28, 2010

Beware!!! All the pictures that you see online are from the premium rooms. I tried to reserve a premium room in advance, but none were available due to only having a couple at most. I did get a Loft Suite at approximately $200 a night including taxes, pictures attached.
I travel all the time and this was probably the worst stay I have ever had! The room and everything in it, looks old and from the 70's-80's. The carpet and furniture is old and dirty. The toilet, you need to hold down the lever for 15-25 seconds for it to flush. The "high speed" internet was near to DSL speeds, if that, and lost connection several times in my 2 night stay. The televisions both downstairs in the LR and upstairs in the BR are 19" old box TVs, 20-30 years old. They state that you have a small kitchenette, but there is nothing but a sink and a mini refrigerator. No plates, cups, silverware, not even a microwave. The Motel 8 has a microwave in all their rooms!
In my room, the air conditioner was not working, so it got up to almost 80 degrees at times, and there were no other open rooms to move me to. A plus, if you want to call it that, is the front desk found a box fan to put near the bed, so that I could sleep. The morning that I was leaving, maintenance fixed the air conditioner, and I found out that this was not the first time it had gone out in this same room. Other good things are; the location is great, the lobby is beautiful, and breakfast is delivered to your room, but was not good, fruit was old and the milk was warm.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, unless you are looking for a hotel just for the location. My last business trip here to Columbia, I stayed at the Hilton Homewood Suites, about 6-7 miles from here, and that was an amazing stay, definitely worth the drive!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank DMS74

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 30, 2010

I would just say Claussens is ok. The room (113) had a very comfortable bed and a good big screen TV but it is basically just a big room in a converted building and had sort of an empty feeling to it. The service personnel I encountered were cordial and helpful. I would try other places before going back to this hotel I think.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Eastern Long Island
Reviewed December 30, 2009

Yes give it a try if you are not committed to chain establishments. Low key and friendly; unique without pushing it. Loved the complimentary wine as well as the cookies. Did I mention complimentary continental breakfast delivered to your room, oh and free wireless too. Great neighborhood with access to everywhere in Columbia.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2009

We stayed just one night and were impressed by the front desk service attitude. The room was spacious and clean. Our room was right next to the lobby, which was quiet (on a Wednesday night) during the hours we were there. The complimentary glass of wine really hit the spot when we arrived back from an event at 10 p.m., and the breakfast basket delivered to our room was handy.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
charleston
Reviewed September 23, 2009

One of quaintest Inns in the area! Very clean and comfortable, friendly staff and convenient to happening things in the city! I strongly recommend walking down to the fountain in the heart of 5 points and enjoying live music!! I found my room and the lobby to be very clean. You can sit out in the lobby and have a drink (there is even a foutain in the lobby) Also, check out the wine shop next door, Cellar on the Greene! STAY HERE, GREAT PRICE and GREAT STAY!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Columbus, KS
Reviewed September 1, 2009

We were in town for my our son's boot camp graduation at Fort Jackson. We ended up coming into town a day earlier than expected, and our room that we had booked prior to our trip was not available for that night. The hotel recommended Claussen's Inn. Boy am I glad that they did. Had I known about the inn before, we would have stayed there for our entire trip. It is a very charming place to say the least. We stayed in a loft room with our boys. I don't know who thought it was cooler, the boys or my husband and I. My Mom was traveling with us, and she got a single room. Both rooms were beautiful and very clean. The staff was great. We were looking for somewhere to have supper, and they gave us good suggestions. (The Salty Nut across the street is a great place to eat by the way.) The breakfast brought to your room at a time that you designate is a very nice touch. The croissants are so good, they almost melt in your mouth. We had a fantastic stay and would definately stay again when in Columbia. We are hopeing that one of our other boys will come to Fort Jackson for basic training. If so, we know without a doubt where we will be staying for our entire trip.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank columbusarmymom
Savannah
Reviewed May 9, 2009

I had and still have high hopes for the Inn At Claussen's. The place is certainly guilty of professional dishonesty from a website perception to the reality of the place and I think they'd better serve themselves if they'd announce the fact on the site that the room promoted on the website is their designer showroom and is the only room in the place that looks and functions as such. All of the other rooms and areas are clearly suffering from what was also a noble and ambitious attempt to go urban upscale in the middle late 1980s from the looks of the place. It would be more fair if they had a hall or row of rooms that reflect the way their web promoting as opposed to just one. My traveling guest had the good fortune of staying in this room and to the developer and designer's credit, it bodes really great urban cool aspects that when fulfilled will really push this hotel over the top and could easily fit into the design caliber and family that one finds in much larger cities. Having said that, does this take away or eliminate the overall value of the hotel? Mmmm, debatable but mostly not. Between the location to primary shopping, dining and nightlife, it maintains great marks. Starbucks is around the corner along with The Gourmet Shop being in walking distance and a very cool music store with great vinyl and cd selections right across the street. As far as I can measure, its also the only hotel with such an "in the neighborhood" location and historic feel. So if that's your game, then this is still your place. But, I don't feel these rooms are worth the asking price as they are. They could stand to have a reality check overall and hopefully these reviews that are popping up are going to help. If they went flat $99 until remodeling was over? They'd be performing a more honesty duty to their customers and potential customers. One reviewer's opinion of course but I digress. My split level loft room was very clean and accommodating and the king size bed was extremely comfortable and the whole place really roomy. Its suffering from age and so it had some gloom and older furnishings so certain corners felt dingier than others but how much time are you really going to spend in the room and if you've got good times and company, some of that will easily fade to the background. The bathroom was very clean and well lighted and tiled and the shower worked extremely well. The towering "cathedral" like windows from the old factory in the loft rooms were incredible and it was nice to have a good desk in front of them for those that require a spacious work desk with a good feeling view. On a customer service level? Working in tourism myself for the past 20 years, I found that Columbia overall is a little disjointed but strangely so goes the entire industry in our country. Yet there is something to being critical of that in the place you're experiencing because obviously you're there! I observed that the limp trend was also apparent in the hotel's adjoining restaurant. A kind of attitude that I would liken to part complacency from just having had the comfort of being "the place" that people just go to, to outright minimal training that translates ultimately into odd and curious behavior resulting in half you know what or lackluster attitudes. Both the Inn and the restaurant had staff that were half into their jobs and half who were really passionate. Why such a gap is what they need to ask themselves. Too many people wasting energy and acting like they're doing something when they're not and all because they're not being properly trained in what to do. But even so, permit me to say that a young woman named Autumn really brightened up this hotel. Extremely positive, bright smile to a fault and always ready to share her good nature with myself and others. By contrast to a younger male there with glasses who was a bit limp in the knowledge and help department, Autumn clearly stacks up as someone with a bright future in anything she does. My feeling is that she's a natural and that she hasn't had much training (hint hint mngmnt) but for whatever that lacked, Autumn is a virtue to the hotel staff and hopefully they'll pay attention to that and reward her for it. I thought it was lovely that she spent some extra time with my guest and myself taking photos of us together in both the lobby and the drive out front. In the end result, my experience tells me that I might, reiterating "might" stay here again. Even as much as I like supporting hotels like this who take risks in markets where corporate hotels are the saturating trend, I'm still left with the word "maybe" in my head. I can't seriously think that business travelers and other tourist who would rather eliminate doubts will be prone to stay here instead of just going with other hotels that are safer bets as much as I loathe that mediocrity. But in Columbia there's not a great deal of selection of boutique inns and hotels or B&Bs so its more logical just to go safe and especially when a place like Claussen's isn't tempting enough to be the total bet. The place for the savvier traveler is still too much of a gamble as it is. Which is why the management needs to get more honest with itself in terms of pricing in the immediate term and hospitality service in the short and the long if its going to pull this place off. I mean why wouldn't they if they're taking such big risks with developing such a cool, ambitious place? Why let all of that creative and business energy go to such risk? Hopefully you can tell I'm a fan of Inn @ Claussens and I appreciate their spirit and what appears to be their goals, but there is a disjointed order here that requires focus and repair. I wish them well and will be watching out for their improvement and progress!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple