“Disappointing, misleading and over-priced for quality” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel

Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #33 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Linwood, North Carolina
“Disappointing, misleading and over-priced for quality”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2011

I hate writing negative reviews. This is only the second negative I have ever written and they were both in the last two months AND they were BOTH STARWOOD PROPERTIES. But we aren't talking about little stuff or things you should know ahead like room size or location. We are talking about things this hotel is KNOWN for and that you would choose this hotel for and it no longer even existing. The BAD DEFINITELY outweighed the good. Unfortunately. Here we go.
First, know we LIVE in Columbia and got a Groupon deal for $125 for a night with champagne, strawberries, breakfast and a restaurant credit. Additionally we had to pay ALL service taxes and fees, gratuities, valet ($18), food and drink over and above, ect... Which we expected and was fine. My husband and I wanted to do something less expensive than a full vacation to celebrate 10 years as a couple. I called the hotel when I made the reservation in January and twice the day of our stay and I had mentioned this was a special occasion. NO mention was made of ANY of the following.
The good:
- People complained about the room size in other reviews. We thought the room was great! Small but cozy, well laid out, great temperature control. Shower pressure and water temperature lacked considerably but that is minor.
- The food in the Main St. Restaurant was very good and extremely large portions BUT we will get to their bad health rating and why we couldn't eat at P.O.S.H. in the 'BAD'.
- Room service was on time with our champagne and strawberries BUT the strawberries... see the 'BAD'.
- Breakfast Buffet was ample and tasty although over-priced at $12.45 a person
The BAD:
- P.O.S.H. restaurant no longer exists. Period. IT DOES NOT EXIST. Closed. They still advertise it. They have a bunch of entrees displayed in the elevator that aren't available in the bar restaurant . The only thing served in the P.O.S.H. area is breakfast. I was told they are going to 'expand' the Main St. subterranean bar menu to be more 'pub'. Which it already is. So no elegant dining for our evening. We had assumed we would be eating at P.O.S.H. and when we went down to the dank underground bar and saw a guy in flip-flops eating fries and the B health rating we weren't excited. We even called two or three restaurants within a half mile walk but it was 7pm on a Friday and the earliest we could have had dinner was 8:45pm. Taking the car out would have cost us an additional $18 for valet. We had only been there 1.5 hours.
- A "B" health rating on a restaurant in SC is NOT GOOD. I have worked in restaurants and my husband works for major grocery chain. A's are EASY to maintain. Not only is the Main St. grill rated an 83 right now - it has DROPPED from an 89 last April. That is terrible. And the health department makes it EASY to correct your rating and get your score back up in less than two weeks. What are they doing? We NEVER would have eaten there based on that alone if we had had ANY choice after finding out P.O.S.H. was closed.
- The VAULT martini bar is 'Temporarily Closed' Yep. One of the reasons I chose this for a getaway within our own city was the unusual aspects like the Vault Martini Bar, The P.O.S.H. and the Rooftop Bar all in one place. They had lost a bartender so the bar was gated and locked. Yippee.
- We went to the Rooftop Bar for drinks immediately after checking in to enjoy the sunset. The impression the website and photos give you is a relaxed upscale bar overlooking the city right? Nope. Run-down, torn-up college level bar with 1 bartender and one barback for OVER 40 customers. No place to get 'inside' away from the wind and cooling air, had to bus our own spot and she had to keep asking people if they would take their drinks in whatever glass she had available because none of the traditional ones were clean. Wasn't her fault - she was clearly left hanging by her GM but it took over 30 minutes to get a mojito. In a martini glass. And sunset? Not on that side of the building.
- The strawberries that were delivered to the room were a bit worrisome. The 'green' tops were ALL crusty brown and actually pretty frightening. We cut the tops off and ate some of the strawberries; some were pretty gritty with dirt. Let's just say if you had seen a package in the grocery store with tops like that, you would have told the manager to throw them out. My husband took a pic with his phone but it was too fuzzy to post.
- The room was clean but the lobby, breakfast area, THE DISHES WE ATE OFF, restaurant tables and cloths were dirty, dirty, dirty. This place was created in 2008 and it hasn't been dusted since. We were seated at a dirty coffee-stained two top for breakfast. Both the bread plate at dinner and breakfast had to be cleaned with our cloth napkins to be used. Really.
Overall? If your job puts you up here and it doesn't cost you anything, it is fine. Otherwise, no. I know the economy is bad. But if you are going to CHARGE as much as usual and not even offer what the Holiday Inn does in quality, cleanliness and service then YOU DON'T DESERVE TO BE RATED AS AN UPSCALE ESTABLISHMENT. This is becoming a common issue in U.S. properties. If you can't keep it upscale, then lower your star rating and your prices.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank krazykhrystyne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2011

not bad, small room but it grows on you. though.....why in the world would a hotel turn off the ice machines at 6PM beats me..,,,ok, if its loud then maybe 8 but 6PM...then you have to wait for them to bring you ice. While the TV in the bathroom is nice getting it work is another story...gave up on that. Not sure if its the detergent or water but the towels smelled awful....and that included the 2nd set too. The bars are all nice. Customer service was great. Plenty of parking on the street for free from 6PM to 9AM and free all day Sundays to avoid the crazy valet charge. The exercise room had 6 cardio machines and 3 worked...thats not good.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ColaSheraton, Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Thank you so much for your review! While I read that you had some great experiences with our restaurant venues, however a good deal of the rest was below par. I want to take the time to apologize for any incovenience and assure you that since your stay the problems you have mentioned have been remedied, and that you will be pleased to note that The Roof Top Bar has been renvoated. Thank you again for taking the time post this review and the helpful critiques, we look forward to having you as a future guest.
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2011

I was a little hesitant to stay at an "historic" hotel but my 3 day stay at this Sheraton was fantastic! Every aspect of the service was top-notch. The valet was courteous and quick, front desk attendants were pleasant and eager to please, the room service was fantastic and the rooms are beautifully decorated and very comfortable. The exercise room was fully equipped. I'm so used to carpeted rooms that the dark wood floors seemed magical. And, to my surprise, when I called the hotel to compliment their service, the manager knew them all by name. Wow! I will definately stay in this hotel again!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay! I am happy that you ended up enjoying some of the historical attributes our building has to offer, including our origninal 1913 hardwood floors. As a Starwood property we strive to deliver the highest level of customer service and accomodations and am pleased that you experienced all of these in your three day stay with us. Thank you once again for your time, and we look forward to having you as a guest at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel in the future.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2011

We were excited to stay at this hotel because of hotel website. We were disappointed. We had to park in garage shared with local businesses and walk. Our room was the size of a closet. The floors creeked very loudly when we walked. The bathroom and amenities were very old school. Our sheets were itchy. We could hear everything in the hallway, when someone used the ice maker or went to the restroom in their room. We put our card out for room service for breakfast and they never picked it up. We complained and the guy at front desk said sorry we have to do our duties first and we couldn't get to you. We will never stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank toshia19
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2011

*Firstly, I have to highlight "Lauren" She was fantastic! Took care of my needs for checking in and gave great customer service!
*The room was great! Beautiful view, loved the bed and pillows!
*The rooms are not very quiet, you can hear other people coming down the hall and shutting their doors.
*When calling for valet service to bring the car around they were quick!
*****When calling for room service; it took 2 minutes for the front desk to pick up and a someone picked up and asked that I call back in 5 minutes. I ended up walking down the road to a sandwich shop****
***When my husband called later, the food was delivered cold and undercooked. Also condiments were missing, when we tried to call downstairs to have this fixed, there was no answer from the front desk....luckily, the man delivering the food came back after 5minutes and apologized for not remembering the condiments****
***Food in the area was great, the hotel is central to great dining***
*-*-*-*Overall, it was a good stay, don't call the front desk if you need something and don't order the room service and you'll be happy!*-*-*-*-*

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay! Despite all of the great qualities you mentioned, I am saddened to hear that not everything was up to par during your stay. PLease know we take your review to heart and are making corrective efforts tomake sure everything you mentioned is remedied. Again, thank you for your kind words and helpful critique. Please feel free to contact me at parke@sheratoncolumbiahotel.com if you would like to discuss anything further. Thanks!
Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2011

First of all I love the Starwood chain but I have my reservations about this one. For starters it has all the standard amenities you expect at a sheraton, attached restaurant bar, starbucks coffee. There is small flat screen telly in the bathroom, so you can watch the news in the morning while you are taking care of business.The rooftop bar is nice and is a hang out for the locals. Prices for drinks are reasonable and you don't get gouged like $10 for a beer at the W in NYC. Now, for the cons - Parking is worse than staying in NY city. You have to pay $18 for valet service each time you take your car out or you can park in the Marriott Garage a block down. The rooms are smaller than NYC Sheraton where space is limited. Same goes for the bathroom. The location is in the office area. You cannot walk to any restaurant outside of the Sheraton. All the employees look oppressed. No smiles here. It made me wonder if the GM of the hotel was a tyrant. You are better staying at the Hampton Inn on Garvis where my customers were staying.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank AshJosephM
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay here at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel. We highly appreciate the critiques that you have mentioned. Since your visit we have taken great measures to ensure that upon you or any other guests future visit that customer service is of the highest quality and that our dining establishments, including our club lounge, has been revamped for an optimal guest experience. Again, thank you for your time and please feel free to contact me at parke@sheratoncolumbiahotel.com if you would like to discuss anything further. Thanks!
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2011

On the good side, the Sheraton Columbia definitely isn't your run-of-the-mill, cookie-cutter hotel. It was an office building back in the day; the vault that was a part of the bank on the first floor features prominently in the lobby design.

Upstairs, the rooms are newly decorated, and the bathroom is the showpiece. But on the not-so-good side, there's a lot of wasted space in the bathroom, and it's at the expense of the main room. I get that they had to make due with the inherent limitations of creating a hotel out of an historic office building. But if you are prone to feeling claustrophopic, this may not be the place for you.

The Sheraton Columbia has some good things going for it, but I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay here at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel! I am glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy some of the historical features that our hotel has to offer (i.e. original hardwood floors, mosaics, and bank vault). I am sorry to hear however that you did not fall in love with our location on your first stay, however many renovations and revamps have been done since your stay to our ammenities in order to make our guests stay nothing short of perfection. Again, thank you for your kind words and helpful critique. Please feel free to contact me at parke@sheratoncolumbiahotel.com if you would like to discuss anything further. Thanks!