“Red carpet treatment at historic hotel”

Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #39 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed January 31, 2011

I was a little hesitant to stay at an "historic" hotel but my 3 day stay at this Sheraton was fantastic! Every aspect of the service was top-notch. The valet was courteous and quick, front desk attendants were pleasant and eager to please, the room service was fantastic and the rooms are beautifully decorated and very comfortable. The exercise room was fully equipped. I'm so used to carpeted rooms that the dark wood floors seemed magical. And, to my surprise, when I called the hotel to compliment their service, the manager knew them all by name. Wow! I will definately stay in this hotel again!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
ColaSheraton, Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay! I am happy that you ended up enjoying some of the historical attributes our building has to offer, including our origninal 1913 hardwood floors. As a Starwood property we strive to deliver the highest level of customer service and accomodations and am pleased that you experienced all of these in your three day stay with us. Thank you once again for your time, and we look forward to having you as a guest at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel in the future.

Reviewed January 30, 2011

We were excited to stay at this hotel because of hotel website. We were disappointed. We had to park in garage shared with local businesses and walk. Our room was the size of a closet. The floors creeked very loudly when we walked. The bathroom and amenities were very old school. Our sheets were itchy. We could hear everything in the hallway, when someone used the ice maker or went to the restroom in their room. We put our card out for room service for breakfast and they never picked it up. We complained and the guy at front desk said sorry we have to do our duties first and we couldn't get to you. We will never stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank toshia19
Reviewed January 18, 2011

*Firstly, I have to highlight "Lauren" She was fantastic! Took care of my needs for checking in and gave great customer service!
*The room was great! Beautiful view, loved the bed and pillows!
*The rooms are not very quiet, you can hear other people coming down the hall and shutting their doors.
*When calling for valet service to bring the car around they were quick!
*****When calling for room service; it took 2 minutes for the front desk to pick up and a someone picked up and asked that I call back in 5 minutes. I ended up walking down the road to a sandwich shop****
***When my husband called later, the food was delivered cold and undercooked. Also condiments were missing, when we tried to call downstairs to have this fixed, there was no answer from the front desk....luckily, the man delivering the food came back after 5minutes and apologized for not remembering the condiments****
***Food in the area was great, the hotel is central to great dining***
*-*-*-*Overall, it was a good stay, don't call the front desk if you need something and don't order the room service and you'll be happy!*-*-*-*-*

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay! Despite all of the great qualities you mentioned, I am saddened to hear that not everything was up to par during your stay. PLease know we take your review to heart and are making corrective efforts tomake sure everything you mentioned is remedied. Again, thank you for your kind words and helpful critique. Please feel free to contact me at parke@sheratoncolumbiahotel.com if you would like to discuss anything further. Thanks!

Reviewed January 15, 2011

First of all I love the Starwood chain but I have my reservations about this one. For starters it has all the standard amenities you expect at a sheraton, attached restaurant bar, starbucks coffee. There is small flat screen telly in the bathroom, so you can watch the news in the morning while you are taking care of business.The rooftop bar is nice and is a hang out for the locals. Prices for drinks are reasonable and you don't get gouged like $10 for a beer at the W in NYC. Now, for the cons - Parking is worse than staying in NY city. You have to pay $18 for valet service each time you take your car out or you can park in the Marriott Garage a block down. The rooms are smaller than NYC Sheraton where space is limited. Same goes for the bathroom. The location is in the office area. You cannot walk to any restaurant outside of the Sheraton. All the employees look oppressed. No smiles here. It made me wonder if the GM of the hotel was a tyrant. You are better staying at the Hampton Inn on Garvis where my customers were staying.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank AshJosephM

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay here at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel. We highly appreciate the critiques that you have mentioned. Since your visit we have taken great measures to ensure that upon you or any other guests future visit that customer service is of the highest quality and that our dining establishments, including our club lounge, has been revamped for an optimal guest experience. Again, thank you for your time and please feel free to contact me at parke@sheratoncolumbiahotel.com if you would like to discuss anything further. Thanks!

Reviewed January 8, 2011

On the good side, the Sheraton Columbia definitely isn't your run-of-the-mill, cookie-cutter hotel. It was an office building back in the day; the vault that was a part of the bank on the first floor features prominently in the lobby design.

Upstairs, the rooms are newly decorated, and the bathroom is the showpiece. But on the not-so-good side, there's a lot of wasted space in the bathroom, and it's at the expense of the main room. I get that they had to make due with the inherent limitations of creating a hotel out of an historic office building. But if you are prone to feeling claustrophopic, this may not be the place for you.

The Sheraton Columbia has some good things going for it, but I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay here at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel! I am glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy some of the historical features that our hotel has to offer (i.e. original hardwood floors, mosaics, and bank vault). I am sorry to hear however that you did not fall in love with our location on your first stay, however many renovations and revamps have been done since your stay to our ammenities in order to make our guests stay nothing short of perfection. Again, thank you for your kind words and helpful critique. Please feel free to contact me at parke@sheratoncolumbiahotel.com if you would like to discuss anything further. Thanks!

Reviewed January 3, 2011

We stayed there NYE For a night out. When we checked in, we found out that the valet service is $18, and the other option is to park in the garage for $8 but you'd have to pay each time you take your car out. When we went insidethe lobby to check in, there was one guy at the front desk and he was obviously not happy about working on NYE. He didn't smile once, and gave us our room card. When checked in, the room was small but had modern renovations and wooden floors. The only full size mirror was hidden in a corner by the bed with a night stand in front of it. The only other mirror was in the bathroom, and it was extremely small. NO counter space whatsoever in the bathroom, and I had to use the pedestal sink to place my makeup/cosmetic bag in to get ready. One plus is the bathroom had a flat screen tv in it :)
The room had a small bar refrigerator, and if you pull a drink out of it to look at it, it automatically charges your account $8. Even if you put it back! Ughh.So we had to say something to the rude front desk guy, to get it refunded, and he said it happened all the time.
Finally, the shuttle driver took us to the restaurant and was obviously in a bad mood because he had to work NYE night. He was telling us about what time he gets off work.
The next morning, we awoke to a loud vacuum cleaner right outside the room. When I went to take a shower, the water didn't get hotter than luke warm.
Overall, the bed was really comfy and flat screen tv's / renovations - BUT, the layout was not thought through, and didn't make much sense. Customer service was terrible. No personality and somewhat rude.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for reviewing your stay here at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel! I hope that your New Years Eve was everything you could have asked for. I am certainly sorry to hear that the customer experience you encountered was anything less than perfect. We here at the Sheraton pride ourselves on the level of customer service we have come to be known for. I assure you that the proper conversations have been had since your departure in order to ensure that this will not happen in the future. Again, thank you for your helpful critique. Please feel free to contact me at parke@sheratoncolumbiahotel.com if you would like to discuss anything further. Thanks!

Reviewed December 21, 2010

I hosted a holiday party for our office and several visitors from our home office and UK office a couple of weeks ago at the Sheraton. It was very important to me that it be a special event as acknowledgement of a great year and the hard work our crew put in to achieve it. The staff at the Sheraton exceeded our expectations in every category. The room was lovely with holiday decorations and a warm atmosphere. Our guests were greeted and directed to where they were supposed to be. The food was very good and the chef accomodating of our special requests. The serving staff were around when we needed something but not obtrusive. Management made themselves available to make sure we were happy.

I highly recommend the Sheraton and it's staff for any special event!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business