“Historic hotel with updated features”

Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #37 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Augusta, Georgia
“Historic hotel with updated features”
Reviewed December 11, 2010

I loved this hotel. Although during my stay the weather decided to turn unseasonably chilly, 19 degrees chilly. This hotel was renovated and is very modern. My first room had a wonderful view of the Columbia skyline, but had no heat. So I was moved to a lower floor to a room with heat and still had a wonderful of the skyline! The only other quirk I had with both rooms was the bathtub plumbing was not fully functional, other than that I really enjoyed my 5 night stay. The staff was exceptional and really made the stay here worth it. There are three bars and the club area as well as a restaurant and of course 24 hour room service, and a starbucks in the lobby. The food was wonderful too. I didn't check out the fitness room but I'm sure it is great. The location of this hotel is central to pretty much everything in Columbia. It is within wallking distance to an art museum as well as the capitol building and many great restaurants. I drove to an area called "The Vista" it is about a mile away and has superb dining choices. If you go to Columbia, I highly recommend checking out this hotel. Oh yeah, while your there don't forget to check out the Rooftop bar, great views of the city!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Tami W
SheratonColumbia, Director of Sales at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review of the hotel and Columbia! We apologize for the issues that you experienced with the heat and plumbing, but we're glad to hear that our staff assisted in resolving these issues. We look forward to welcoming you back to hotel next time you're in the Columbia, SC area!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Bethesda, MD
Reviewed December 8, 2010

This is my second stay at this property and also my third night I can't properly sleep in this hotel. To be fair, the hotel is well located, rooms are clean and nice. However, if you travel for business you know that sleep quality is paramount and this property is simply not set up for that (it was not built to be a hotel thus the halls are extremely noisy and you can also listen if someone else walks on the room next to you). I always choose Starwood properties, but this time I have to pack earlier and look for another hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank gperezv
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel! We apologize about the noise disturbance. Please know that quieter rooms are available on request and we're sorry that we didn't place you in one of these rooms. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you to the Sheraton Columbia Downtown.
Estill, South Carolina
Reviewed December 5, 2010

My stay at the Sheraton Hotel was by far one of the best experiences that I've had. Once I arrived at the hotel, the associates were enthusiastic about getting me parked, checked in, and assisted in any possible. Although my stay was short, David and Randi made it sweet. I look forward to visiting much sooner than later. Thanks for showing me love :-)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our hotel! Our staff strives to exceed your expectations and we're so happy to hear that David and Randi "showed you the love!" They will be very happy to hear your wonderful comments. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Columbia Downtown!
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed December 4, 2010

I visit Columbia frequently, but this is the first time I've stayed at the Sheraton Downtown. I knew nothing about the hotel, but was pleasantly surprised to discover a posh, sophisticated gem in the heart of Columbia's urban renewal. The employees were personable, efficient and friendly but not overbearing. I felt very welcome; a precise balance of southern hospitality and professionalism.

The hotel itself is purely gorgeous. It's an historical building and though it's been renovated, the management did an amazing job maintaining the original integrity. My room was cozy and comfortable but the appointments were really high-end. I was worried at first because the floor in the room was wood, but the manager explained that noise wouldn't be an issue because there were concrete barriers between each floor. He also said the wood was original! It was really nice (as a history buff) to stay in a building with so many of those features.

My absolute favorite part was the restaurant/bar The Vault. It was actually a converted bank vault! So much character, tons of cool novelty drinks and a great wine list. The food was great and reasonably priced too. It was small but comfortable and intimate. My friends met me there and it was perfect for our group but I could definitely see hanging out there alone with my laptop if I was in town on business too.

Overall: lots of character, classy atmosphere, friendly staff. Highly recommend!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Chrystal1113
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a glowing review of our hotel! We are so glad that you decided to stay with us and that you enjoyed the historical character of the hotel along with the modern amenities! Being a history buff, you would probably be interested to know that the bank vault that houses The Vault Martini Bar is 1 of only 33 original bank vaults that are listed on the National Historic Registry. It's actually still in working order! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Cerritos
Reviewed December 3, 2010

This got too be the best hotel in south Carolina the Roof Top bar Starbucks marti bar in the safe the pub in the base ment and the Tvs in the bathroom are you kidding me and mini bars in the room.

• Stayed October 2010
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed November 30, 2010

This is an awesome hotel that used to be an old bank in downtown Columbia! I was traveling with several co-workers, and we had a total of 10 rooms. Each room is very unique, and I would say the only downfall that the rooms have is that they have hardwood floors in them, and being that the hotel is so old, you can hear your neighbors every move!!

Besides that, the hotel was very friendly, clean, and just a fun place to be. The rooftop bar is great, and "The Vault" bar is a great place to sit, relax, and have a martini. When it comes to food and beverage, I would reccomend that you do not eat breakfast on the 2nd floor in the morning, as the service was awful! I sat down and ordered an OJ prior to me placing my breakfast order, and the OJ never came after 10 minutes, so I just got up and left.

Minus that one case, I would by all means return to this hotel in the future!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and we're happy to hear that you consider the Sheraton Columbia Downtown "a fun place to be!" Our staff aims to exceed our guest's expectations and I'm sorry to hear that you received bad service during breakfast. I appreciate you sharing this information, as I will make sure to communicate your complaint to the appropriate staff members. We are happy to hear that you still enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 23, 2010

I frequently have to travel to Columbia for work and this is usually where I book. It's a great location right downtown and in walking distance of a lot of restaurants and bars so once you are through with business, you can stay close to the hotel (although if you rent a car you either have to valet park or deal w/ feeding the meters so prepare for that expense). The rooms are beautiful with dark hardwood floors and very comfy beds. They are spotlessly clean and have nice shampoo and conditioner (hey this is important - I hate packing that stuff). The only thing is its pretty noisy sometimes. Traffic noise all night long and if you've got people going through the hall - you can hear that too. Ask for a room at the end away from the elevator and you'll be happier. The staff is incredibly friendly and on top of things so they will do their best to accomodate your requests.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business