“Fantastic!”

Ranked #37 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Paradise Island, New Providence Island
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We have just spent 4 days at the Sheraton Hotel in Columbia. We travel every week with our jobs, 3 of us with 3 rooms, and always check in with a certain amount of skepticism. The Sheraton Hotel in Columbia exceeded every expectation. On check in we were given complimentary club lounge access, there is free wifi in all guest rooms and the staff worked tirelessly to help with every query we raised. Between us we were on floors 8 and 9, we all had recently renovated rooms, two of us had a TV in the bathroom and a jacuzzi baths. We will be back for the Msters next year and shall be staying here again. Thanks for a great stay we can't fault you!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Sheraton_Staff, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. It brings us great joy to hear that your expectations were surpassed while staying here at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel. We take great pride in our guest's satisfaction and will certainly praise our staff for you wonderful remarks. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Edgewater, MD
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

From checkin to morning breakfast everyone was accommodating in this comfortable and historic hotel. Charming restored old bank building is located in the heart of the city and within minutes of University of South Carolina. Great stay both times we have been in town!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank samergler
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for your recent response on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear about your accomodating stay. We pride ourselves on our customer satisfaction and appreciate your feedback. Thank you for your return business and we look forward to your return in the future.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This week marks the 9th week in a row that I've stayed at the Sheraton downtown and if you log into my SPG profile you'll see another 7 weeks of stays booked at least.

I travel for work Sunday - Thursday and even though I work in Sumter (a 45 min drive from Columbia) I return to the Sheraton every week. It is undoubtedly worth the drive back and forth and I LOVE it here. Matt at the front desk is typically always there to check me in when I arrive and he has everything ready and waiting. After a day of flying/getting around it's always a pleasure to be greeted by a kind and extremely awesome person. The other staff at the front desk throughout the week is just as great. Whatever I need they are always so gracious to help and the simple things like their huge smiles and warm greetings when I walk in everyday makes me love staying here even more. From the valet to the restaurant staff the Sheraton has done a great job in making sure they have an awesome team.

The rooms are pretty sweet, they aren't your typical regular hotel rooms, I love the character and all of the modern, clean touches in the rooms. I'm always kind of reminded of a Ralph Lauren ad when I walk in and I love that there are televisions in the bathrooms and the showers are big and clean and amazing.

Overall you can't go wrong with the Sheraton when you stay in Columbia, the location is unbeatable, it is walking distance from a lot of places and I definitely enjoy it every week!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank 908BrittanyW
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you for your response on Trip Advisor. It brings us great joy to hear your phenomenal feedback about your accomodations and our staff. We appreciate you loyalty to the Shearton Columbia Hotel are are delighted to hear you will be returning over the next couple of months. Thank you for being a valued guest.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I enjoyed a delicious dinner at the Sheraton. Chef Drew Morgan is new to the hotel, but he has rejuvenated the menu. The food is fresh and the seafood is of top quality. The Sesame Encrusted Ahi Tuna is the best I have tasted (I even live in Charleston,SC). I travel to Columbia several times a week for business. I will return to the Sheraton for many more dinners!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank JennyH841
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you dining at our fabulous restauratn P.O.S.H. We are excited to hear about your phenomenal experience with our chef. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel and we look forward to your return in the future.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 19, 2014

It is gratifying to see historic downtown buildings such as the Palmetto Building here in Columbia, SC being repurposed. Kudos to Sheraton for making this happen.

I did not eat at the restaurant nor visit the rooftop bar. We did visit the Vault Bar.

As most businesses, it's about the people - their motivation and their training. The first person we met was the valet for parking and he was genuine and helpful. In fact each of the three valets we dealt with was the same level of professional and helpfulness. Good first impression. The front desk on check-in was professional and to the point. I had the opportunity to deal with the front desk twice more - once to ask for change for $100 which they declined, second I asked about storing my laptop while I was out of the room as there is no safe in the room (there is a non-functional minibar though). I was shocked when they had no security option for valuables - nothing, zip - and they really weren't overly concerned about it - seemed it was more my problem. Huh.

Bathroom was very good, shower head and a wand spray. Nice large bathroom. Funny 24-inch flatscreen television in the bathroom - but, I couldn't turn it on as the batteries in the remote were dead. I took the batteries out and left them on the desk top as a hint to housekeeping. but, my subtle hint was ignored. Oh well - I didn't really care that much or i would have written a note. Now the setup of the room (I'm sure they vary) was such that the room was long and narrow with the wall mounted 40-inch flatscreen on the wall opposite the head of the bed. The distance was a little far for a 40-inch size in this room. Maybe 18 feet.

The Vault bar staff was minimally helpful and I had to run my own drink orders to the bar - and she really didn't know anything about liquor. I would think - given the era of the building/vault and the South Carolina location an investment in training and a good bourbon/rye selection could do well.

Room Tip: If you arrive after 5:30 p.m. on Friday through Sunday, the valet will park your car on the street f...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Professorgreen
Thank you for your recent response on Trip Advisor. We appreciate our guests feedback and continue to improve from such responses. We are very proud of our historic property and are always working to sustain our originality. We pride ourselves on on outstanding customer service and will continue to train our staff to maintain such values. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I did not have the privilege of staying here, but I did enjoy the rooftop bar. We were out for a night on the town, and this was a must-stop. From what I saw, the common areas, bathrooms and the bar itself were very clean and had a nostalgic feel to them. The view of Columbia is probably unmatched, as it's one of the tallest buildings. The seating area and vantage points for a good view were plentiful and awesome. Apparently, we had stopped in about 5 minutes after Eddie Griffin had left. He was in the area doing a comedy show. Good enough for a celebrity visiting the area? Good enough for most, I would imagine.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your experience at our one of a kind RoofTop Bar. It does offer a unique ambiance which you will not find anywhere else in the Columbia area. Thank you for being a valued patron and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you in the future.
Olanta, South Carolina
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Recently I had the pleasure of staying at the downtown Sheraton. I am a disabled veteran and some times I need a little more help than the average guest. On both of my visits I had the Jan 23
and Feb 7 I was fortunate to have Ms. Blachman at the reception/check in desk, She was most helpful to me with check in and answering questions I had about the city, She was able to give me precise direction about downtown which is a rarity today, she was able to assist me while busy with other customers and was cool, calm and collected. Her directions were impeccable and her attitude was fantastic as she dealt with this elderly gentleman professionally and thoroughly. I hope she is in line for promotion, I feel her communication skills would be an asset to the hotel if she were in a supervisory capacity. I will continue to visit Sheraton downtown and hope to have the courteous service of Ms, Blachman again. Her performance and zeal in her performance of duties reflects well on the Sheraton management, \,
John Loftus

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your business and we are very proud to hear of the impecable service you encountered by our front desk agent. Her hospitality and professionalism will not go unknown. The way you describe your experience is how we strive for all of our guests to feel after staying with us here at the Sheraton. Thank you again for staying at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel and we look forward to your return in the future.