“Club lounge appears to be heading downhill”

Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #40 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I was staying here for several weeks. First two weeks I ate in the club lounge frequently for both breakfast and dinner for time reasons and the food was good. We had a variety of food to choose from, however,in the last week, the choice of food has drastically declined. Cereal was no longer out at breakfast - only choices were fruit and oatmeal, no bread, but they had jam out, no eggs, etc. Dinner food was lentil soup & salad most nights. One day most of the kitchen staff did not show up and dinner in the lounge did not even start until after 7:00 and only tuna salad was offered. The room service dishes were still sitting in the halls when we arrived back that night. We had to go down and tell the front desk people to see if they could be removed as they were starting to smell. I have never seen this happen in a hotel before. We have a client staying with us in the hotel and this was most embarrassing. It is certainly not worth the additional $30 a night charge for a club room. We have heard a lot of people say that the Sheraton is trying to cut back on expenses, but I don't think this is the way to accomplish that. I will no longer stay in a club room, not worth the additional cost. In fact, I am considering changing my reservations to either the Hilton or marriott as both are great and I can feel confident that my client will not be embarrassed. At least he will have more choices of food offered.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Louise T
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We strive for our guests to have an outstanding experience while staying here at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel. We would like to deeply apologize for the issues you encountered. Our club lounge should offer a continental breakfast in the mornings along with light hor d'oeuvres in the evening. The trays in the hallways for extended amounts of time is unacceptable. We appreciate your feedback and will use this information to better train our staff and serve our guests. Thank you for your business and we hope you will return in the future so that we may offer the true Sheraton experience,

Reviewed October 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed for a wedding that was in the Lexington area. There was a huge parade going on as we arrived and that made it very difficult to get to the hotel. All road leading in were at best, partially blocked. Once we got there, everything was perfect. The check-in staff and all F&B staff were exceptional! It was a great night away.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thank you for taking your time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and accomodations while visting the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel. We take great pride in our hospitable staff and it gives us great gratitude to hear feedback when our guests appreciate such service. I know of the weekend you were speaking of with the parade and I apologize for your inconveniences arriving to and parking at the hotel. We ourselves were unaware how much of the streets were going to be closed and unfortunately that was out of our control. We appreciate your busines at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel and we look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed at this hotel over the weekend. The room was nice but small. We asked to check in early and they were able to accomodate us which was nice. The hotel is in downtown Columbia within easy walking distance to the State House. The best part of this hotel is the roof top bar. We really enjoyed the view of the city. The only negative for this hotel was that our room didn't get cleaned one of the three days we were there. The supervsor came by but I still thought it was a little odd. Despite this, we would still stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank fun2travel63

Thank you for you recent post on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our Roof Top Bar as well. Our hotel rooms do vary in size since we were renovated from an original early 1900's bank so some are a little smaller than others. I would also like to apologize on our staff's behalf for the oversight of not cleaning your room for one of the days you stayed with us. I hope your accomodations were comfortable and relaxing and that you received the type of service you deserve. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Great rehab of an old bank building downtown Columbia. Very nice front desk and Cedric was also great! One of the best club lounges through SPG properties. This club lounge and Cedric serve a full scale meal rather than appetizers and snacks only as do some particular Sheratons. Location is perfect for restaurants and shops in the Vista area of the city. Definitely recommend! Rooms have high ceilings and hardwood floors. One quirt about the rooms is they offer two semi-queen beds which seemed to be a few inches smaller than a normal queen bed. Very cool rooftop bar as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank David P
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Thank you for your recent response on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear about the wonderful experience you encountered during your stay. We always get high praise for the club lounge as well as with all of our staff's outstanding customer service. The beds are actually doubles, not queens, which is why they would seem smaller than expected. Thank you for your business and we hope you return to the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is not your typical Sheraton. It feels more like a cool hip boutique hotel. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. Cedric and Vera in the club lounge make every guest feel like they are home! I look forward to many more stays!

I am a platinum member and picky and this exceeded all my expectations!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank kepiblue

Thank you for your recent response on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear that a valued platinum member such as yourself had such a wonderful experience at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel. We pride ourselves on service and exceeding the expectations of all of our guests. Thank your for your business and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I have stayed at this property 30 to 40 nights a year now for several years. Positives are charm, the bars, and service. The rooms are cool and the staff is generally outstanding, especially the current Lounge staff, Cedric and Vera. Top notch.

However ... although I am a Sheraton guy all the way and I have been loyal to this point, I may have to stop staying at this property because of the hot water issues. The hot water has always been somewhat of an issue, but it's getting worse and not better. My current stay was 4 nights and every morning there was simply NO hot water. Doesn't matter if you let it run, etc ... at 7 am there is simply no hot water. Plenty of hot water if you want to shower at 5 am or in the afternoon or evening. But it isn't acceptable to me to pay $150 for a room and have no hot water when you want it.

It's a bummer that they can't seem to address this properly, as it is a well documented issue with this property, and the rest of the hotel is so good.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ADKRick

Thank you for your recent response on Trip Advisor. I would like to start by thanking you for being a valued frequent guest. We do appreciate youi business and all of your feedback. I would also like to sincerely apologize for the hot water issue in which you have encountered. We certainly do not want to lose you as a return guest due to an issue that you continue to encounter at our hotel. I would like for you to please feel free to reach out to our Front Office Manager or Director of Rooms at 803.988.1400 so that we can nail down this issue that has been a reoccurance for you. Thank you again for your feedback and we truly value you as a guest. We do look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I am staying at the Sheraton for a month plus for business. I just ended my first week there and was pleased with my accomodations. I was upgraded to a suite on check and was quite pleased with it. It was clean, had plenty of room to both work and sleep. However, I do agree with some other reviewers on here re: the hot water. Some days I had hot water and some days I never had to turn on the cold water faucet, because the hot water was barely warm. This would be a great problem in the winter. Even when you do manage to get hot water, you have to turn on the hot water faucet and let it run for several minutes - you can't just turn on the water and jump in the shower.

The other problem I noticed was that they do not seem to do weekly maintenance in the common areas. I had a light in my bathroom and outside of my room door that were both out when I checked in. I will point out that I failed to report this to the front desk, I would expect that this detail would have been noticed by the housekeeping staff and pointed out to the correct personnel. I also noticed lights out in other common areas of the hotel that were out the entire week I was there. This just surprised me that a hotel of this caliber did not have someone consistently checking on things like this. The lights right in front of the elevators were always very dim and made it hard to see there and not very welcoming. I will point out that I have a problem seeing things in the dark, but to me, lights just make a place seem warm and friendly and when you notice several of them out around the common areas, it make you think that they don't keep up with the property as well as they should.

As far as the staff goes - they were all outstanding. They were very accommodating and addressed any needs that myself and my co-worker had. To point out a few outstanding individuals - Matt at the front desk was awesome. I had a problem with the ac in my rooom and Matt fixed it on the spot and checked it out several times during the evening to make sure it continued to work. He told me that if he could not fix it, that by the time I arrived back from dinner, he would have my stuff moved to another room. He also helped us with some lengthy reservations we were trying to make for the remainder of the month which involved 3 employees, all with different check in and out times and different needs He went above and beyond with an outstanding attitude, even writing everything down to us and delivering it to our rooms. .

Cedric and Vera - what can you see about these employees that work the Club Lounge. Beyond awesome does not adequately describe the interpersonal skills of these 2 employees. Every day they took care of any needs we had, including making oatman for one of our employees. They made us feel like a member of their family coming to visit and were just awesome. Cedric took care of us at night after a hard day at work, even ordering dinner from POSh and bringing it up to us so we can stay in the lounge while Very took care of us in the morning. In this day and age of customer service not being what it used to be, these 3 three employees (Matt, Cedric & Vera) went above and beyond every day and gave us "customer service that I have not encountered in a large time, especially from a hotel. They truly need to be recognized for their outstanding service.

I look forward to the next 4 weeks of my stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Louise T
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We value our guests feedback and appreciate your feedback on how we can continue to better improve. I would like to apologize about the hot water issues you have encountered during your stay. We are an older building with older piping and the water does sometimes need to run for several minutes before getting hot. We do want to make sure our property is in top condition for our guests, therefore, the maintenance issues around the hotel commom areas will be addressed and resolved. Thank you for pointing our the oustanding service you received from our hotel staff. We pride ourselves on going above and beyond for our guests and the employees you mentioned will be recognized. Thank you for your business at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel and we look forward to your extended stay with us.