“Great Experience”

Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #43 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My recent stay was for a much needed getaway for some "me time" and to visit family in the area. This stay was everything I hoped it would be plus some. Pros far outweigh the negatives, and I prefer to focus on the positives! The unique building was nostalgic, charming and comfortable and I loved the whimsical use of the Vault as a martini bar that plays up the history of the building as a renovated bank building. The bed was luxurious and the view was beautiful. My advice is to ask for a room on the club level. The club lounge was a pleasant surprise and not exactly what I had expected. Welcome to Cedric's house where I was promptly pampered by Cedric the host of the club lounge and made to feel right at home. (Thank you Cedric!!!). For a person traveling alone, the lounge provided companionship and a full meal for breakfast and dinner for those not wishing to dine alone. I sincerely felt like a valued guest and the pampering was just what i needed.
The negative.... I stayed over the weekend and was very disappointed to discover that main street is "closed" on Saturdays. Nothing was open in or around the hotel and I found myself a little bored on Saturday afternoon with nothing to do and nowhere to go that was within easy walking distance. Starbucks in the lobby wasn't even open on Saturday afternoon. Very disappointing that I couldn't find a place to get a sandwich for a late lunch. When I asked the front desk for a recommendation, they had to really think about it and then sent me to a shop that was closed. I then returned to the room but they were cleaning it. Awkward and very frustrating. No pool at this hotel so I literally had nowhere to go but the empty lobby to wait.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the club level - floors 14 through 16. Front corner rooms offer the best views. Ro...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you for your recent response on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all of your feedback and can utilize this information to better serve our guests in the future. I am glad to hear of your "Great Experience" and would like to thank you for the appreciation of our historic hotel and acknowledgement of the club lounge which is such a guest favorite. As far as the cons, our Perk Up Cafe does close at 2 on the weekends, The Vault opens at 5 and The RoofTop opens at 4 or 5 depending on the season. Our Main Street Tavern is actually availalble for only for private booking and is not open to the public. I apologize for the misinformation your received from our staff and we will make sure to better train giving accurate information to our guests. A short walk to the Vista area on a Saturday afternoon would have given you more options for food and beverage options. Thank you for your business and we hope you will return to the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel in the future.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Well conceived rooms designed by a talented person. The rooftop bar is also quite nice. Park on the street for free after six. You do not need to feed the meters until ten in the morning. The lobby is an old bank and looks good but not great.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your hotel accomodations as well as the RoofTop Bar while staying at our property. We are a renovated bank building so we are constantly updating around the property to keep the hotel as beautiful as possible. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again upon your return to Columbia, SC.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This review is mostly for Cedric who runs the club house on the 16th floor. He took care of my mom very well and showed her a great time. He is worth booking this hotel. He takes his job seriously and enjoys entertaining his guest. If you want good service then this is the place.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Emodough

Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. Here at the Sheraton we take great pride in our customer service and Cedric is a prime example of that. We are delighted to hear about you and your mother's experience while staying at our property. Thank you for being a valued guest and we look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed one night here on business. My room was large enough for one, but might have been a tight fit for two. The hotel service was excellent from the front desk to the rooftop bar to the valets. One negative was that even though I was on the 11th floor I was awoken by street noise at 5am. But all things considered, it was a nice stay at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We value and appreciate all of our guests feedback. I apologize for the inconvenience of the street noise waking you at 5am. That is not a complaint we have had an issue with in the past and I am even more surprised that it was heard all the way on the 11th floor. Our rooms are not identical in size since our property was built around an original hotel structure. Feel free to ask a front desk agent for a larger room at check in and we will do our best to accomodate. We thank you for your business at the Shearaton Downtown Columbia Hotel and you will return upon your next stay in Columbia.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I really liked this hotel. I've stayed in a few renovated hotels from once utilized facilities. This was the most liked. I would not know it was formerly a bank once I stepped in the lobby without the 'Vault" and the elevator. This renovation was impeccable! I have no complaints about the accommodations or amenities. Although, a couple of times, I was given incorrect information from staff on a few questions but eventually these were resolved quickly. the next time I go to Columbia I will stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Thank you for your recent response on Trip Advisor. We value all of our guests feedback and can continue to learn to provide better service. I apologize for the misinformation you received from our staff during your stay. We are updating and undergoing some changes throughout the hotel so we are certainly working on keeping our staff updated with these changes. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your accomodations while staying at our property. Thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I loved the classic 1920's style but this hotel needs consulting in a number of areas.

1. the closing times of the bar and vault are too early. These entities should be a money makers for the hotel but there is no incentive to go because it closes too early and is poorly designed(Too Small) . Vault(Fire code violation prone). Poor marketing as well.
2.The roof top is a disaster waiting to happen. The roof should be a place relegated to paying customers or club members as an extra amenity and for security reasons. Cameras are good but when tech an lights go out what will you do when the confusion sets in? (Too much outside traffic flowing through hotel). You make it easy for scouters.
3.The staff seemed spooked by the current management style which will eventually result in very high turnover rate and lower service quality to follow.
4.There is a problem with the water temperature. Customers take this discomfort very seriously especially in the winter.
5. The room menus need to be updated as they are currently misleading with regard to service availability.
6. The shuttle service should be available on weekend.
7. If all else fails always keep plenty of water in the hotel especially in the summer.You never know when an emergency will arise. Bottled water was out except for the club lounge. This may have been a rare occurrence but it has the potential to become a costly one given the right circumstances.

The Pros

Cedric and Vera on the 16th floor are the warmest thing this hotel has to offer. They have great interpersonal skills and know how make you feel right at home.

Overall in it current configuration, this hotel has about 7 years before a buyout by another owner with greater vision and newer management.

1  Thank l l
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a response on Trip Advisor. We value our guests feedback and appreciate the attention to detail you reported while visiting our property. Some of the incidents you encountered are certainly not the norm such as water temperature and a shortage of bottled water. As with any company looking to better themselves, there are changes that we are in the process of making in order to better serve our guests. We are a renovated bank building so the hotel was built around the origiginal structure which is the reason for the smaller accomodations in The Vault which you mentioned. Thank you for your business at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel and we hope you will take the opportunity to stay with us in the future. Your suggestions will be noted and we hope to better serve our guests in the future because of them.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Only stayed one night July 2013. Hotel is in a refurbished old bank building downtown, with tons of charm. Only about 10 rooms per floor with a really unique layout. The room was small but extremely well appointed; loved the hardwood floors because i have terrible allergies. There is a cafe in the lobby with starbucks! there is a really cool martini bar in the old vault...it's a bit cramped but very interesting. The main restaurant is on the mezzanine and looked nice but i chose to goto the roof top terrace. Even though it was july in SC, and humid, the roof top bar was just barely "do able" because of the covered part of the deck and the fans. The service overall was fantastic; and the food was good bar food! I ordered a grilled shrimp appetizer served with grilled cherry tomatoes and an avocado/lime topping...it was light, refreshing and filling!

Parking is a pain so you end using valet which is a bit expensive.

The elevators are also really small...i guess that is because it used ot be a very old bank building?

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear about your enjoyable experience at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel. We do have multiple food and beverage venues onsite for a Columbia Hotel and it sounds like you were able to take advantage of those during your stay. In reference to the elevators, yes they are smaller then your larger hotel elevators due to the fact that the building was remodeled around the original structure. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your business at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel.