“Nice Stay At A Somewhat Quirky Hotel”

Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #38 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Arlington, Virginia
“Nice Stay At A Somewhat Quirky Hotel”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I use the term "quirky" in my title in the nicest way possible. I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and I was here on business for about a week. The hotel is definitely on the older side, though I found that this had been incorporated into most of the hotel's ambiance. My only complaint would have been that each of the rooms appears to be extremely different in shape and size. I was in a much smaller room, according to the fire escape map, and since I was working from my room for about a week, on and off, having my desk chair pushed up against the bed was a bit tough. On the other hand, my bathroom was huge and it was a novelty having a TV in the bathroom each morning. All in all, nice enough place to stay.

Room Tip: Grab a drink on the rooftop bar around sunset. It's an interesting experience.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sheraton M, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a response on Trip Advisor reguarding your recent stay. The Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel was actually a bank building which was renovated into a hotel about 5 years ago. Our rooms were built around the structure of the bank which is why there is a difference in some of the room sizes. There definitely is a lot of character within the hotel including original hardwood floors. We appreciate your business and hope you will return during your next visit to Columbia. Ask the front desk upon check in for a larger standard room and we will be more than happy to accomodate.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Nice location downtown. Was greeted cheerfully and was checked in even though I didn't have a reservation. Nice cozy lobby with Starbucks also inside. There's a martini bar in the lobby located inside a bank safe! ( the building used to be a bank). There's a rooftop bar as well. The weather was nice with a light breeze so it was nice to get a beer there, although I don't think Inwould go to that bar in the summer. Nice view. The room was recently renovated and very clean, classy and comfortable. I didn't want to get out of the comfortable bed. Overall many nice things to say about the hotel and the very cheerful and helpful staff. I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: I didn't ask for anything special. The room was excellent anyway.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Sheraton M, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at our hotel. We are so delighted to hear about your recent experience. We strive to ensure excellent guest satisfaction here at the Sheraton Columbia Hotel. Thank you for your business and we do look forward to your return in the future.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Good location, just a short walk to the popular Vista area with restaurants and bars. While the building is obviously older, the hotel has done a nice job of giving it an updated feel but keeping the charm of days gone by, such as the martini bar built in the old bank vault. Our room was cozy with a decent sized bathroom and everything was very clean.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your response on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your business here at the Sheraton Columbia Hotel. We are a bank which has was remodeled into the Sheraton about 5 years ago. We are glad to hear you had a pleasant stay with a clean room. We do strive for all of our guests to want to return to our property after giving them a unique experience they cannot receive anywhere else in Columbia. Thank youi again and we hope to see you in the future.
Voorburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

It's really downtown. Just a short walk to the Capitol. The hotel is situated in an old building. The bar is in an old vault. There is also a nice outside bar on the top floor with great views over the city. The room was nicely renovated, but with an original touch, like twe wooden flooring. The room was clean and fresh. The bed was nice and had good matrasses. The batroom was modern and stylish with a walk-in shower and a small television. Staff is very professional and friendly. They all had time for a talk. We really felt at home here.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheraton M, Director of Sales at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your review, your feed back is very important to us. I am happy that we have met and exceeded your expectations, please feel free to call me for your next reservation, we love being your home away from home.

Jennifer L. Bolling
Director of Sales
803-47-0285
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Jacob's friendliness was our first introduction to Columbia; he secured our car and personally retrieved forgotten items on more than one occasion. Sean took over with that infectious smile, and transferred our belongings to our suite carefully and efficiently, while making sure the husband was comfortable after a long day on the road and in depositions. Earl Moorer exceeded his normal responsibilities on several occasions. Sharif Miller provided all amenities. Cedric Garner, Vera Doughty and Nathan Vaughan ensured we were treated like the only guests of the Sheraton each time we were in the Club Lounge. The atmosphere of the Lounge and the excellent food far exceeded our expectations. It is a wonderful, serene retreat. Management at the Columbia Sheraton has created a dedicated staff who are happy which results in efficiency and satisfied patrons who are guaranteed to return. Thank all of you for making our visit memorable.

Room Tip: Highly recommend Club Level Suites. Beds are outstanding. Double-size shower; three flat screen te...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Laine H
Sheraton M, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for your recent response on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your business and are so happy to hear that you had a memorable stay. We strive to deliver outstanding customer service here at the Sheraton and are honored for you to call us your home away from home. We will make sure that our employees are recognized for their customer service. Thank you again for your business and we look forward to your return.
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I travel for work and spend a lot of time in Marriott and SPG hotels. I met Cedric Garner on this trip and am very impressed with what he's done to the club lounge. The food is great and the service excellent. Very relaxing and I'll be back.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank TravisAndEllen
Thank you so much for your response! We are glad that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations in our club louge. Cedric is a wonderful asset to our team and we will be sure to share with him your experience. Please contact me for your next reservaiton, I would be happy to assist and see what brings to our wonderful city!

Jennifer L. Bolling
North Carolina
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Using my SPG points, I had booked a hotel room for myself for USC graduation weekend.Things changed and I called on Monday, May 10 to inform them that my husband and teen were joining us. We would need 2 doubles. The woman who answered was pleasant. She said the hotel was booked but they would get a rollaway or blow up mattress. She would also try and get us a bigger king room as they were small.
We arrived at 8pm. Nothing had been done--no bigger room, no setup.
We arrived upstairs and at 830 pm a man came up with a blow up bed and two mattress sheets (fitted) He put one on and said the blankets were in the washing machine. At 9:15, we called again. They weren;t in the washing machine. They didn;t have any extra blankets. I suggested nicely that they should go out and buy a blanket.
At 10:15 we called again. They forgot??
No they were going into empty rooms to look for one. This one arrived at 10:30 pm
I know the hotel was busy, but really? Is this how you treat your SPG customers?
There are other hotels in the area, you need to look elsewhere.
I told the hotel clerk on the way out; she didnt; seem to care.,She did write down what I said and said (I think) I am sorry..
On the positive side, the hotel lobby was clean, the room clean, a starbucks in the lobby.
Zero customer service.

Room Tip: There are other good hotels around. Look for them.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank pabrenn
Thank you for your recent stay at the Sheraton Columbia Hotel. I want to start off by sincerely apologizing for the inconveniece you encountered upon your arrival to the hotel. The phone call made to the hotel should have notated your reservation and your request should have been fulfilled that day prior to your arrival(based on the availability that we had a blow up mattress available which apparently we did). We do have quite a bit of new staff within the hotel going through training so I apologize for your request not being fulfilled in advance. As far as waiting 2 hours to have blankets delivered to your room, that is completely unacceptable and not the type of service that we strive to deliver here at the Sheraton. We will make sure to inform our staff of this situation so that this type of incident does not happen again. Please accept my deepest apologies and I hope you will give us the opportunity to deliver excellent service upon your return to Columbia.