“Great experience + hotel”

Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #39 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I'll begin this review by sharing that we are lifetime SPG Gold members and have stayed in a LOT of Westin/Sheraton hotels over the years. I've also never taken the time to write a hotel review before. That said, bar none, this hotel took care of us (as SPG Gold) better than anywhere else we've stayed.

We took our two kids to Columbia last weekend on a whim for a change of scenery. Part of what makes this hotel great is the location: we walked down to the capitol building and the zoo + kids' museum were less than 5 mins each by car. Lots of restaurants and other venues nearby, also. A+ for the location.

Upon arrival, the valet informed us it was $22/day for valet parking, but pointed out the nearby garages and free street parking literally right in front of the hotel (we parked on the street). Check in, as we've come to expect from Starwood, was quick and easy. The key for us was being upgraded to a club room and subsequent access to the club lounge. This is an older, almost boutique, hotel, so these amenities made a huge difference, especially when traveling with two kids under 10. The club lounge was hands down the best one we've been in. Afternoon "appetizers" consisted of grilled chicken breasts, penne pasta with sauce, wild rice, green beans, dinner rolls, dinner salad, fresh fruit, snacks, a dessert tray and complimentary wine (emphasis on the complimentary wine!). There are also two mini-refrigerators with many other types of beverages and yogurt. Breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, Canadian bacon, pancakes, grits, pastries, biscuits, etc. The beverage machine also lets you make multiple types of coffees, espressos, capucchinos, etc. Combine all this + a relaxing atmosphere + flatscreen tv (the Olympics were on) = a superb club lounge. It is quaint, but the service and amenities are impeccable.

Why such a big deal? Two reasons: First, this hotel doesn't have a pool, so anything novel for the kids is a plus. Second, by having dinner (with wine!) and breakfast in the lounge, we probably saved well over $100, which definitely helped our weekend getaway costs. I can't tell you how many times we've gone into other sprawling Sheratin/Westin club lounges only to find warm bottled water and a few granola bars.

Other hotel stuff: even in late July, the rooftop bar was nice. Cooling fans + shading + cold drinks helped mitigate the heat. Nice views of Columbia, but again, the service is what makes the rooftop bar great. Manager take note: Cleveland was the best. We went right at 5pm and had a few drinks (kids in tow), and the bartenders were very accommodating. The Vault martini bar also looked cool, but was a little crowded by the time we got there. Had it been just my wife and I, we would have stayed for a drink.

I am a business owner / CEO and we collectively travel a good bit. I can tell when a place is really "doing it right", and this hotel definitely is. Whatever the manager is doing to find, hire and train the right people, keep doing it. Helpful hint to other SPG managers: take note. Again, I've never left a hotel review before, but felt compelled to do so in this case. Thanks again and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ilpadrino5
Sheraton M, Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Dear ilpadrino5,

We are so honored to be your first hotel review! We appreciate the time you took out of your busy schedule to let us know about your time with us. It was a pleasure for us to host your family at our historic property and share some of the best of what Columbia has to offer. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed everything from your check in experience to the Club Lounge. Providing an exceptional Club Lounge environment is a top priority for us, and we are pleased to hear we exceeded your expectations. We are very proud of our staff and will certainly pass along the good word to Cleveland for his great service. We hope upon your next visit you and your wife will also have the opportunity to enjoy a cocktail our Vault Martini bar. Thank you, and we look forward to welcoming your family back in the near future!

Sheraton Columbia Management Staff

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I was a little sad that I arrived too late to check out both the restaurant below, and the bar at the top--although I did check out the view at the top. Very Manhattan-esque feature. The room was more than adequate, I could have used another day there to relax. There is a vault in the lobby that serves as a martini-bar. Another cool idea that I didn't get to see or take advantage of due to the hour. There isn't much nearby as far as restaurants. They gave me a map of downtown and it looked like there were all sorts of places--but the scale is wacky and the nearest place was .7 miles away and it was through Columbia's finest homeless.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank often_crabby-travele
Sheraton M, Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

often_crabby-travele,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property! We are glad you enjoyed your room and the view from our Rooftop Lounge. We hope on your next visit you will have the opportunity to experience our onsite restaurants and bars. And you are welcome to utilize our complementary shuttle service to discover some of the many great restaurants around downtown Columbia.

The Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel Management Team

Reviewed July 7, 2012

I truly love visiting historic places when I venture to a new city, but to arrive at this hotel and see a huge vault from the early 1900's in the main lobby is breathtaking. The front desk staff were very accommodating and saw to it that any questions I had were answered. We stayed in a room with a king bed...the beds are amazing, the pillows are like marshmallows. I was impressed with all the little extras in the room like mouthwash and a robe with slippers. My room was very clean and smelled so fresh. I've stayed at other historic hotels and the rooms are always musty and have a stale quality about them, but not this one!! I didn't get to eat breakfast but it smelled good as I was checking out. The restaurant overlooks the lobby. Overall, I can not wait until I am able to come back. I was 110% pleased with the entire stay. Thank you for such a memorable couple of days!!!

Room Tip: Was first put near the ice machine but it is VERY loud. Ask them not to be near one. The staff are m...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank alaglace67
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Dear alaglace67,

We are thrilled to hear that you were "110% pleased with the entire stay" and sincerely appreciate you sharing your experience with us! As a historic property, we are very proud of our 1913 bank vault (now the Vault Martini lounge) and other unique characteristics of our hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed everything from our staff's attentive service to your King room and signature Sweet Sleeper Bed. The complete satisfaction of our guests is what we strive for each and everyday. We look forward to your next visit and encourage you to try our deluxe southern style breakfast buffet next time you are in town!

The Sheraton Columbia Downtown Management Team

Reviewed July 7, 2012

I lived in Columbia for many years, and finally stayed at the Sheraton after I moved. I have always liked the building and had previously been to the rooftop bar, but had no idea how charming this hotel was. The hardwood floors and multiple flat screen tvs in the room were very nice, and I had good experiences with room service. The front desk was very helpful as well. This hotel has the most character of our downtown hotels, and I look forward to staying here again during football season.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank __SC313__
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Dear USC4500,

Thank you for taking the time to review our historic property! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your room amenities and received excellent service from our staff. We are consistently striving for 100% guest satisfaction, and we are pleased to hear that you were "pleasantly surprised" by your experience with us. We thank you for your kind words and look forward to seeing you more during football season!

The Sheraton Columbia Downtown Management Staff

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Recently stayed at the Sheraton in Downtown Columbia. I enjoyed the stay. My only complaint is that many of the rooms do not have bath tubs and are quite small. Every room seems to be a different shape and size. The bathrooms were modern but small.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bigc325is
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Dear bigc325is,

Thank you for taking a moment to review our property! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry not all our rooms come with garden tubs. Tubs are available upon request, so please let us know with your next reservation and we will be happy to accommodate. As a historic property cica 1913, we do have a rather unique room layout, while each floor shares a standard floor plan. Please do not hesitate to let us know how we can make your next visit most comfortable.

The Sheraton Columbia Downtown Management Team

Reviewed June 30, 2012

Hotel staff are above and beyond. Very friendly. There's always coffee in the morning and the breakfast is great! Rooms are spacious, light and modern. The bathroom even has a small tv, however the linens (bed sheets in particular) were suspect as to their cleanliness. I found a hair or two and what looked like some sort of machinery tracks (best way I can describe it) on the sheets.
Great location, would stay here again. Sheets were hopefully a fluke.
NO POOL but they offer a free pass to the local YMCA which has a pool and fitness center. Small fitness center on 2nd floor of hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JYinCLE
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Dear JYnCLE,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We are glad you enjoyed our staff, coffee and breakfast, as well as our updated rooms! We are very disappointed to hear of the issues you encountered regarding the cleanliness of the room. What you described is very out of character for our property and we are investing the issue with housekeeping. Again, we thank you for your visit and we look forward to welcoming you once again to our historic location.

The Sheraton Downtown Columbia Management Team

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Very nice hotel in a great location. Walking distance to many bars and restaurants. Right by USC. The rooms are not big but very well appointed. Real urban style. Wood floors, comfortable beds and nicely done bathrooms. The front desk staff was great and even got us checked in a bit early. Would definitely stay here again! The hotel does not have a pool but does have a rooftop bar and a martini bar called the Vault. Used to be a bank vault...cool spot.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank gallagherfamily29466
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Dear Gallagherfamily29,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! We are so glad you enjoyed our historic hotel's central location and fine amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in town!

Sheraton Columbia Downtown Management Team