“Rooftop bar not what it used to be”

Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #39 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Went to the rooftop bar last Saturday night. I haven't been in a while so I didn't know there were changes. I went to order different martinis from the menu they used to have. Evidently they are no longer serving food and no longer have a martini menu with specialty drinks. When we asked about it at the bar, the blonde bartender was rude and acted like we were crazy for asking for the menu. They also used to have waitresses coming around asking for drink orders and they did not have that either. I was with a friend who had never been and was from out of town, I was so embarrassed by the service, we left.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Christina B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am so sad to hear about your experience at the Rooftop. Please know that this is very out of character for us, and I am working with the Food and Beverage Director to seek out not only the staff member that made your visit unpleasant but also to get the establishment back to its original glory.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

Checked in on 4/18/2012 and was greeted by two of the most warm and friendliest young ladies. My check in process was smooth and fast; plus one lady was so kind to recommend a special Starbucks drink that was whipped up across the hall in what seems like seconds. The room was small, but cozy and had lots of character; dark hardwood floors, moldings, small comfortable club chair and the piece de resistance....flat screen TV in the bathroom.
The bed was perfect; not too soft or too firm and it was at the perfect distance from the television. The bathroom lacked a tub (only a shower) but was clean, even under the rim of the toilet (yes...I checked),and the towels were absorbant and soft.
I had no disturbances while there (no noise in the hallway or from the street) and from what I can see, they run a tight ship.
I will stay again if the opportunity presents itself.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Christina B, Sales Coordinator at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Dear ATL Traveler,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property! We are so honored that you chose to stay with us and pleased to hear all about your positive experience with our staff and with our accommodations. We know that comfort, convenience and attentive service are top priorities for our guests, so it we are always glad to hear that we have fulfilled that expectation. We hope you will choose to visit with us again in the future!

Warm Regards,

Sheraton Downtown Columbia Management

PS: If you would like to experience our jetted garden tubs, simply request one when you make your reservation and front desk will be happy to accommodate your preference upon availability!

Reviewed April 25, 2012

We had a very nice overnight stay at this historic hotel in downtown Colmbia. There are a lot of nice walks for your dog(or yourself). The bedding was comfortable and the room very quiet. The staff was excellent from the valet to the lady who checked us in.

Room Tip: We had a corner room and it was very quiet. I think you are better the higher up you go because it i...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Christina B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Hey! and thanks so much for taking the time to review our property! We are so happy that your family (including your dog of course) could stay with us and enjoy everything our hotel has to offer! I hope that you guys come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed April 19, 2012

I stayed here last night (4/18). Loved the room, even if it was a bit tight (it managed to use the available space pretty well). A couple of cool features, including the bathroom TV. The internet connectiion, on the other hand.... I tried to use the internet in my room, no success, even with the ethernet cable in the room. The staff, however, was extremely helpful and provided me access to the club room to use the wireless connection in there. Would I stay again... Absolutely.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Christina B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our property! I really appreciate your kind words about our staff and look forward to passing it on during our next "all staff" meeting. I am sad that our internet issues carried over into your room. We have been working with our internet supplier, on getting the connectivity working properly on all sides of the property. I look forward to having you stay with us in the future, and having all parts of your stay be as exceptional as the other.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

Nice Sheraton on Main Street in Columbia. Walk to the Statehouse and don't miss the rooftop bar and the martini bar in the old bank vault.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Christina B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to review our property! We're so happy that you got to enjoy the many ammenities and venues at our property!

Reviewed April 14, 2012

This is a fine old hotel, tastefully brought up to date, with front desk staff as friendly, pleasant and helpful as I've ever encountered. Entering the quaint little lobby we were anticipating a wonderful stay. Walking into our 15th floor room, I was impressed, and certain I was going to rate this grand old place high. But then we discovered that, while there were two TVs (the room and in the bathroom), there was only one remote control. No big deal. Then nature called and I discovered the commode seat was loose. Then we pulled back the duvet and it weighed a ton!. It was much too heavy to sleep under. But we didn't sleep a lot since we found two tiny SPIDERS in the bed. I pulled everything off and checked behind the headboard, and determined those two were not part of an infestation. I really don't know what rating to give. "Average" doesn't describe it. It wasn't really "Poor," and certainly not"Terrible." I'd like to give it a "Disappointing!"

The next morning we went to the Club Room for breakfast. It was unattended, the cans of heat that were supposed to keep the eggs, bacon, etc., warm had not been lit (everything was room temperature or cold), there was no juice, no napkins, trash everywhere, and I got half a cup of coffee before the coffee urn ran out. We called the desk to report the situation, but had to leave before anyone came...if they ever did.

Oh, one other thing. We discovered you either park on the street at a meter, in a pay-by-the-hour city garage that is an elevator, an unfriendly ally, and about a block walk to the hotel lobby, or pay $24 for valet service. Didn't care much for those choices. The Marriott, next door, has a direct indoor access to the parking garage.

Again, the desk staff was exceptional, the old building delihtful, the room well appointed, updated, and clean, but spiders, unbearable bed covers (literally), loose commode seat, one remote for two TVs, and the inexcusable conditions at breakfast in the Club Room... Dear Sheraton, thanks, but we won't be back to your Columbia hotel!

Room Tip: Check it out before you settle in.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. Without guests such as yourself it is sometimes difficult to pinpoint what we can do to make a better stay for our guests. I am so pleased to hear that your encounters with the Front Office staff were exemplary, but saddened that the remainder of your visit experiences did not match. I know that we are pushing forward with finding an attendant for the Club Lounge, and the new housekeeping managers that are coming in will surely remedy many of the problems that you encountered. I hope that in the future you will give us the chance to turn that dissapointing into a phenomnal!

Reviewed April 10, 2012

We stayed for two nights at this rennovated former bank and laywers office building in the heart of Columbia downtown. Nicely styled, yet very small room, and noisy from street sounds on 4th Floor. Valet parking appeared the only option and at $22/night it added unexpected expense. Nice breakfast on Club-level for Preferred-Gold members. Stayed using SPG Points, and not sure I would repeat stay if paying full price out-of-pocket.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property! We appreciate any input from our guests so we can adapt our methods to best fit your needs. I am so happy to read that you had such great encounters with our employees, but saddened by the fact that you might not be willing to make a return back to our property. I do want to let you know that we are working towards making better parking options for our guests, and that I would welcome any further input on what we could do to better future guest's stays.