“Newly renovated, great rooftop bar”

Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #36 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Columbia, SC
“Newly renovated, great rooftop bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

Nice Sheraton on Main Street in Columbia. Walk to the Statehouse and don't miss the rooftop bar and the martini bar in the old bank vault.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Christina B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to review our property! We're so happy that you got to enjoy the many ammenities and venues at our property!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Arden, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

This is a fine old hotel, tastefully brought up to date, with front desk staff as friendly, pleasant and helpful as I've ever encountered. Entering the quaint little lobby we were anticipating a wonderful stay. Walking into our 15th floor room, I was impressed, and certain I was going to rate this grand old place high. But then we discovered that, while there were two TVs (the room and in the bathroom), there was only one remote control. No big deal. Then nature called and I discovered the commode seat was loose. Then we pulled back the duvet and it weighed a ton!. It was much too heavy to sleep under. But we didn't sleep a lot since we found two tiny SPIDERS in the bed. I pulled everything off and checked behind the headboard, and determined those two were not part of an infestation. I really don't know what rating to give. "Average" doesn't describe it. It wasn't really "Poor," and certainly not"Terrible." I'd like to give it a "Disappointing!"

The next morning we went to the Club Room for breakfast. It was unattended, the cans of heat that were supposed to keep the eggs, bacon, etc., warm had not been lit (everything was room temperature or cold), there was no juice, no napkins, trash everywhere, and I got half a cup of coffee before the coffee urn ran out. We called the desk to report the situation, but had to leave before anyone came...if they ever did.

Oh, one other thing. We discovered you either park on the street at a meter, in a pay-by-the-hour city garage that is an elevator, an unfriendly ally, and about a block walk to the hotel lobby, or pay $24 for valet service. Didn't care much for those choices. The Marriott, next door, has a direct indoor access to the parking garage.

Again, the desk staff was exceptional, the old building delihtful, the room well appointed, updated, and clean, but spiders, unbearable bed covers (literally), loose commode seat, one remote for two TVs, and the inexcusable conditions at breakfast in the Club Room... Dear Sheraton, thanks, but we won't be back to your Columbia hotel!

Room Tip: Check it out before you settle in.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. Without guests such as yourself it is sometimes difficult to pinpoint what we can do to make a better stay for our guests. I am so pleased to hear that your encounters with the Front Office staff were exemplary, but saddened that the remainder of your visit experiences did not match. I know that we are pushing forward with finding an attendant for the Club Lounge, and the new housekeeping managers that are coming in will surely remedy many of the problems that you encountered. I hope that in the future you will give us the chance to turn that dissapointing into a phenomnal!
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

We stayed for two nights at this rennovated former bank and laywers office building in the heart of Columbia downtown. Nicely styled, yet very small room, and noisy from street sounds on 4th Floor. Valet parking appeared the only option and at $22/night it added unexpected expense. Nice breakfast on Club-level for Preferred-Gold members. Stayed using SPG Points, and not sure I would repeat stay if paying full price out-of-pocket.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
First I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property! We appreciate any input from our guests so we can adapt our methods to best fit your needs. I am so happy to read that you had such great encounters with our employees, but saddened by the fact that you might not be willing to make a return back to our property. I do want to let you know that we are working towards making better parking options for our guests, and that I would welcome any further input on what we could do to better future guest's stays.
Hilton Head, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

Very nice hotel with a ton of upgrades. Television in the bathroom, two shower heads, hardwood floors, etc. the rooftop bar is awesome and has an amazing view of the capital dome. Staff was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Christina B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Thanks so much for taking the time to review our property! I love that you enjoyed some of the upgrades that are standard with each of our rooms. We look forward to having you back with us in the future to enjoy some of the fun new things we have coming up!
Suwanee, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

The hotel had mistakenly double charged my credit card. One call to Matt at the front desk and he took care of everything and immediately send a correct bill to my email. Great customer service Matt. Thank you

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the kind words about Matt! I will make sure to pass it along to him and the rest of our management team so he can be properly recognized.
Zanesville, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

Very interesting building (circa 1910) and wonderful staff. I can't say enough about the service level, if I owned a hotel I'd put those two ladies there too. Very nice, explained everything well and worked with me on early check out for valet. Kids weren't impressed with no pool but used the fitness center after a long all day car ride. Comfortable beds. Only negative was we were on 10th floor and I could still hear some street noise so the higher up the better if that bothers you. Nice place overall, I'll go back.

Room Tip: Go higher to avoid street noise
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Christina B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Dear gust,
I'm so happy you took the time to comment on our hotel! I love that you enjoyed our 1913 building, we trully do treasure the fact that we saved it from demolition. We look forward to having you and your family stay with us again soon, and next time we'll be sure to get you on a higher floor.
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

Older historic renovated property with an extremely friendly and competent staff. Will certainly stay here again. My only suggestion is that the bed pillows need replacing. Much too flimsy.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our property! We take great pride in our staff and are happy that you had a 4 diamond experience! We look forward to having you back to enjoy some of the new things we are developing in the hotel.