“Nice downtown hotel”

Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #43 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed March 17, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for last weekend. The staff was cordial and helpful. The room was clean. The beds were very comfortable. The location is central to most destinations. The only 2 downsides: very slow to nonexistent valet and not great food at the hotel. The club level needs significant improvement but is satisfactory for a quick snack. The valet experience leaves a lot to be desired. As this is a downtown hotel with limited parking, it can be an issue.

Room Tip: Choose club level. It is not much more expensive and good for an emergency snack if traveling with c...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Christina B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property! We're so happy that you got to enjoy our 4 diamond experience and look forward to having you back at the hotel soon!

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel

Reviewed March 17, 2012

The Sheraton downtown is my favortie hotel from the time you step foot on the property you are greeted by delightful staff members. All the staff welcome you with grateful attitudes and are more than helpful serving as concierges for example i was escourted across town to an italian venue Als Upstairs where i was treated like a regular. My whole experience on and off the property was amazing thanks to the staff for your recommendations and hospitality.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2012

The hotel was in a good location near restaurants & the capital in downtown Columbia. My room was slightly small, but enough for 1 business traveler and was nice and updated with hardwood floors and a stand-up shower (no tub). The only drawback is that I got the room just across the hall from the ice maker. Try to avoid that.

They will tell you that it is $12.95 to park, but after 6pm (until 9am) the on-street parking in the metered spots is free. I had no trouble finding on-street parking.

I didn't eat at any restaurants in the hotel, so I can't review those, but there is a starbucks for those who drink it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Swimmer418
Christina B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reiew our property! We have done a number of things to attract business travelers such as yourself and hope that you visit us again soon so you can enjoy many of the new features and ammenities we are adding to our property in order to make our hotel the ideal hub for business travellers coming through the Columbia area. Keep an eye out for a revitalized fitness center, an all new spin on our restaurant, and more.

We the Sheraton Staff wish you safe travels and look forward to seeing you again soon,

Reviewed March 3, 2012

Staff could not be more accommodating, just the nicest group of people! In my first room, the window was blocked by a building, making the room dark so I asked to be transferred - no problem. The second room was lovely however the TV and phone did not work, despite best attempts by maintenance to repair the problems. So, I was moved to a 3rd room, which was lovely but had the funkiest odor! The phone in this room would only function in speaker mode. Since I was only staying two nights, I decided to stay put and put up with the issues. The Sheraton would be perfect if the room maintenance matched the wonderful manner of the staff!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Christina B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property, and the kind comments you had about our staff. I hope that you will have the chance to stay with us again soon, as we open up a new chapter in our hotel and finish the renovations and updates that are going on here at our property.

Reviewed February 19, 2012

We needed to stay one night in Columbia SC for a funeral. The idea of this 1913 bank, which was turned into a hotel just three years ago intrieged me. This attractive hotel is one block from the town hall and on the corner in the historic district . It has been very charminly turned into a hotel but looks very much like a bank inside, including the valuted doors leading to the bar! The exterior is adorned with decorative reliefs from the beginning of the century. We had a small room with a private bath but very tidy and clean with quality linens and towels. In fact, I enjoyed a very peacful and comfortable night in a king size bed. Feather pillows and flatscreen TV. .
Downstairs is a lovely dining room for dinner or breakfast. There is also a small cafe off the lobby. Excellent staff and service.
Valet parking is $22, however, you can park you own car on the street for free between 6pm-9am. There is free internet in the lobby at the business office or $9.95 in your room.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Christina B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property! It brings me great pride that you had such a fabulous experience. We look forward to having you back at our property so that you may experience some of the new and exciting changes we have going on.

Reviewed January 31, 2012

I work in Columbia a lot, and as a graduate of the University of South Carolina, I come to Columbia for all home football games and other sports. I've probably stayed at every downtown hotel in the city, and although several others are nice, this is my favorite for many reasons.

The # 1 reason is the friendliness and efficiency of the staff. If any hotel has a more attentive and capable front desk manager than Christina Braun, I have never seen it. Every staff member is awesome (well, we had a waitress in the restaurant once who was a total pain, but she's not there any more!), and the rooms are unique because the building has been renovated from a historic bank and office building. Having been familiar with this building from its earlier function, I am amazed at what the hotel has done with it.

Beyond the staff, this hotel is convenient to my law firm's downtown office, as well as the restaurant-shopping Vista area. The vault anand rooftop bars are also hot spots. I love staying here.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Christina B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2012

Thank you much for taking the time to review our property! It's like music to my ears to hear that you always stay with us and even more that the service you have received has lived up to the Sheraton standard. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon and having you enjoy some of our upcoming renovations being done.

Reviewed January 23, 2012

I have stayed in several places in Columbia and this is the best so far ... not because it is six star not because the room is the best in the USA... However I found this a great balance, my room was a good size, floors wooden which made me think of an old fashion European hotel. The room was good, normal facilities, fairly quiet, good temperature control. The thing that made me really like this place however, was the service, the staff could not do enough for an request or question ... it felt genuine.

I also used the gym it had a few machines all with inbuilt TV and entertainment systems, which was great.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Christina B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2012

Dear valued guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property! We appreciate your kind review and I look forward to passing this along to my staff and fellow managers. We also looking forward to having you back in house! I know that you mentioned that you enjoyed using our fitness center and am pleased to report that we are in the middle of refurbishing it so your next visit will be better than the last.

We hope that you are enjoying the new year,