“Awesome Boutique-Style Hotel”

Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #40 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I've stayed there several times in the past 18 months, and even though I used to live in Columbia, I never knew this awesome little hotel was there! When I go back to visit-I always stay here. Historic bank building + modern style + awesome location = unique, warm, chic hotel. The parking garage may be challenging to find--if you don't choose to use the valet, however you can usually street park if you are willing to circle the block a couple of times. As the hotel was created out of a former bank, the rooms are all different sizes and shapes, but all well-appointed, and creatively designed to make the best of the space, the bathrooms are all quite large, with a television and wonderful amenities. There is a tiny Starbucks in the lobby, a unique bar in the former vault, a restaurant/bar in the basement, and in the summer months--a bar on the roof!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Christina B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2011

Hi and thank you for taking the time to review our property!

I'm so happy that you enjoyed the unique charm that comes with staying in a 1913 bank. As you stated we have taken the opportunity to maintain and restore a number of the original features in the hotel including the, the vault (now a martini bar), the rooms (all original hard wood and layout from the bank), and few other key things that we have expanded on (like the roof top). We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

Well, I just checked in here about two hours ago and was excited about what I hoped to experience. I could tell online that this Sheraton didn't look like your typical one. I was picked up from the airport in an amazing black Escalade. The driver was very kind and helpful. Upon arrival, the ladies at the front desk were friendly. They kindly greeted me and checked me in. I asked about dinner options as I'd arrived pretty late. They told me the restaurant downstairs was open (Main St. Tavern). I realize it was late but was hoping for more details about the hotel and surrounding area. I brought my clothes upstairs and was amazed at the size and style of the room. They're really nice. The nicest Sheraton I've stayed in (almost a mix btw Westin and W). I had also noticed the AAA Four Diamond award on the wall. I was a little disappointed that I wasn't put on an SPG floor or any higher than the third floor. But no biggie. I've moved down to Gold Level...no longer Platinum. I went downstairs to get some dinner and was greeted hesitantly and informed they were only serving a late night menu. I understand this isn't New Orleans and life slows down late at night. I sat down and ordered a burger since sandwiches were pretty much the only items on this menu. After dinner I came back up to the lobby to chill for a min. A new crew was on duty at the front desk. The older gentleman didnt look up from his computer screen to even greet me as i came in plainly in view. I walked around for a few min and then he looked up to ask if he could help me in a tone that he didnt think i was a guest. I told him i was just hanging out before going up to my room. Eventually i went to my room and remembered I needed to take some medicine. So I looked for a complimentary bottle of water that's normally offered to SPG guests. But there wasnt one in my room. So I went downstairs to ask for a bottle. The gentleman at the front desk said free water was only available for SPG Gold and Platinum members. I said that was great bc I'm a Gold member. He told me it'd take a few min and the bellman would bring some to my room. I told him my room number and then he changed his mind. He then said that water was only for Platinum members. Not sure why he changed his statement in 30 secs time. It was very awkward. I guess maybe he thought I was lying to him since I'm not on an SPG floor. So I asked "you're telling me that since I'm not Platinum I can't have a bottle of water even though you just said it was for Gold and Platinum members?" He said that's right. So I said goodnight. He looked back at his computer screen as to get back to what I had interrupted. So I'm a bit frustrated as this is a beautiful hotel but not very guest friendly. Maybe the staff members are just having an off night. I give Terray the driver and Colleen who checked me in high marks but not so much for everyone else. I'm here for two more days. Let's see how it turns out.

• Stayed: November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our property!

I'm so happy that Toure and Colleen received such high remarks from you. They have truly set the benchmark for the Sheraton way. It bothers me however that your experience with our night auditor and the rest of our staff was not as pleasant. As you know from experiences at other Starwood properties, we set ourselves up against the highest standards for guest services, in order to make our hotel feel like a home away from home for our guests. I can assure that this is not acceptable and that these opportunities will be addressed with both my department and forwarded to the managers in the rest of the hotel.

Please accept my deepest apologies, and I hope that we can look forward to having you in house again soon.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

Pros:
Great location
Nice room with hardwood floors
Great rooftop bar
Charming older building
Bacon/eggs offered for breakfast on club level

Cons:
Staff was not helpful in explaining the parking situation/options
Slow draining shower
Sound carried very loud and clear from the halls into the room
Regular room was not very big

We also had problems with you room key (it never worked correctly) but they did give us a discount on our rate to remedy that which was equitable. It is a nice hotel but the service could be better.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel,

I'm so happy that you enjoyed our remodeled 1913 bank. It's a great historical landmark for the downtown Columbia area and we're proud to call it ours. I am not so happy to hear that your stay was not as comfortable as I would have hoped, and for that I do apologize. Please know that these remarks have been taken heart and that the proper changes will be made in order to create a comfortable stay for future guests and yourself if we have the opportunity to have you in house again.

Reviewed November 12, 2011

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere and quality of the food at the restaurant. If you choose to dine/drink at the restaurant make sure that KRISTI is there. She is a delightful person and a great waitress with a heart as big as Texas!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Hi and thank you so much for taking the time to review our property!

I am so happy that you were able to enjoy one of my favorite venues, Main Street Tavern, and that Kristi was available to wait on you. She truly is a valuable asset to our hotel and brings the Sheraton brand to life.

We hope to see you guys again soon,

Reviewed October 31, 2011

booked the "Romance Package" and it was far from it... We arrived at 5pm Saturaday, asked for champagne and strawberries to be delevered asap, 1hr+ later they showed up still half frozen. I had called in advance to insure we had a nice room and once we got there we were in the smallest room they offer... I had called and was willing to pay the extra $ for a club room and they still stuck us in a regular room??? After we had gone out to dinner and came back our package was supposed to include breakfast in our room, I filled our the card and hung it on our door, when I awoke sunday morning it was still there....... I took it to the front desk and they they told me they could bring it up soon.... I told them I would just walk down to atl bread since i thought it would be quicker, they were closed, you would think the lady would have told me they would be closed... Just a bad experience all around. Staying in Columbia,SC, Stay at the Hampton Inn or the Hilton. Do not stay at the Sheraton

Room Tip: Not what we had...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cop0251
Christina B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our property,

I am greatly saddened to hear that the experience that you had with us was not to your satisfaction. As a Sheraton we strive to offer a warm, comfortable, and optimistic environment for both our guests and employees. I assure you that coaching conversations will be had in order to ensure future stays for both you and other guests that are Starwood branded.

Best Regards,

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed here for business last week. The room was very nice and set up like a small apartment with a private door to the bedroom from the living area. There were 3 tvs in the room: one in the bedroom, one in the living area, and one in the bathroom. The bedroom was small but the bed was very comfy! The bathroom was nice and included a stand-alone hair dryer (not the kind that attach to the wall). There is no free parking, but they allow you valet for a very small fee, which is much cheaper than parking in the parking garage. There is a Starbucks inside and a restaurant and a martini bar. There is also a rooftop bar (very nice). There is one more food place in the hotel (towards the top floor), but I did not visit that one. I will definitely stay here again on one of my many visits to Columbia for work!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for reviewing our property!

We greatly appreciate the kind remarks and I look forward to passing this along to my staff and fellow managers.

We look forward to having you stay with us again soon,

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed here one night in town for a conference. The room was really nice. I liked the modern ammenities to old old building. Customer service was lacking. They were rather "nebulous" about the parking situation. Also, wifi was not free.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our property!

I'm happy to hear that your group decided to stay with us during your conference. I am bit concerned however that the guest services provided were lacking. Please know that I will be touching base with my agents to ensure that such things are rectified upon your next stay or any other guests.

We look forward to having you stay with us again. Best regards,