“Terrible Service - Ridiculous Pet Policy”

Candlewood Suites Columbia-Ft. Jackson
Ranked #38 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Made a reservation at this hotel because it said it was pet friendly. Should be called Pet tolerant with enormous charges. They charge $75.00 to have a pet for 1 night. The almost the cost of the room! The staff was less than helpful, rude and unaccommodating. Will be glad to take my business elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank RAVI G
Margaret_Hoover, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Columbia-Ft. Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the pet fee and service you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We do take all of our guest reviews very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We apologize for the cost of the pet fee as it is used to professionally clean the room after the pet for the next guest. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

I walked in my room and the air was off. The bed had hair on it. The pillow cases had stains. This place is filthy.
It only got worse from there. The toilet seat had hair on it and of course to complete my disgust the the shower had two long nasty black hairs stuck to the wall. It could not have been missed if house keeping looked.
I travel through Columbia a lot. I will not be staying here again.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank ConchyStarfish
Margaret_Hoover, Manager at Candlewood Suites Columbia-Ft. Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the unacceptable cleanliness of the room and the unsatisfactory service you received from the staff. We are looking into this issue and the appropriate action will be taken. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to pamper you and provide you with exceptional service.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Stayed here for business. When I checked in there were no non-smoking rooms available so I had to stay in a smoking room. I didn't even know chain hotels had smoking rooms still... Maybe just the ones I stay in typically don't. It was pretty gross but I had to deal with it. My clothes smelled for the remainder of my trip. The room was a good size but needed a little updating. I slept well despite the smoke smell. The staff was friendly and tried to get me a new room.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Orangepeel107
Margaret_Hoover, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Columbia-Ft. Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the accommodations you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We do wish we would have had a non smoking room for you. We do take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We do take pride in our guest and their complete satisfaction.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed here recently for our niece's Basic Training graduation from Ft. Jackson and there were several family members and multiple hotel rooms in our party. Because we used a third party to book the hotel rooms, we did not get the rooms which we paid full price in advance to reserve. We booked two beds per room and received rooms with one single bed, when we discussed with the front desk the representative was extremely rude and said "that's what you get for booking through a third party" We were not the only ones to receive this treatment, we observed her say this to another dissatisfied guest over the phone. The hotel itself needs updating and smells musty and like cigarette smoke. We will not be staying again and do not recommend this hotel for others. The price was inexpensive but not worth it. We shared these comments with the hotel as well.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Terri W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Columbia-Ft. Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Terri W,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the accommodations and service you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We do take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Stayed in this hotel due to business, I stayed for 28 days. I did not have a choice in which hotel to stay in due to it was booked thru my job. Okay first the good things. The staff was great! Could not have asked for a better staff while staying here. Ms. Karen is just great! Having a kitchenette in the room is great, saved some money by cooking for myself vs going out to eat every day. The kitchenette was also fully stocked with dishes and flatware. Also if you went to the front desk you could rent movies from there for free, the selection was very limited but it is a nice option.

Ok now for the negative stuff. For the price of the room, $99 a night, I would expect a few things to be in the room or included into the room. First thing, the bed sheets/linen and towels only get replaced ONCE a week. Which did not always happen during my stay. I had to go to the front desk to get my towels replaced. Also there is absolutely NO premium channels on the TV at all. No HBO, Showtime, Encore...NOTHING. I stayed at a Quality Inn down the street before and the room was MUCH cheaper than this hotel and I even got HBO there. Okay, I know that cockroaches are more common in the South than in the Northern states....but if I am paying $99 a night I would think that the hotel chain can at least spend some money on Pest Control. Another thing that was disgusting and disappointing was that this hotel allows dogs to stay in it. I have absolutely NOTHING AGAINST people taking their pets on vacation. I myself have pets. However I do find it distgusting to allow your dog to urinate in the hallway of the hotel and in the stairwell. This happened at least four times during my stay here. Probably from the same dog but I never caught them. I did inform the front desk everytime this happened but due to the hotel trying to save money the person working the Front Desk is also the person washing all the linen and towels AND they are responsible for keeping the hotel clean in the afternoon and evenings. A little crazy...how can they answer phone calls, check people in and out, do laundry, and be expected to keep the hotel clean?? No idea....

I thing is for certain, I will NOT be staying in this hotel again if I have a choice. Was very disappointed since this was supposed to be a good hotel chain.

Room Tip: Not sure if you want to stay here, the rooms are constantly being rented out to the military. Which...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Alejandro B
Margaret_Hoover, Manager at Candlewood Suites Columbia-Ft. Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. I do apologize for the pets and I will make sure we keep a eye on pets within the hotel. I will check and see what the problem with the HBO was as we do offer HBO. Again thank you for helping us to know were we may need to improve. Margaret Hoover General Manager

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Nice room, kitchen equiped with a full size fridge, micro and coffeemaker.
Clean, service was ok.
Loooks pretty cheap inside, no lobby.
Stayed overnight on our way to Florida.
No breakfast provided.
Recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Margaret_Hoover, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Columbia-Ft. Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. It is guest like you that help us to see were we need to improve. I am sorry for you inconvenience and we will take these things in consideration and see what we might beable to do to improve them. Again Thank you.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed her while a family member was in the hospital. This was the best hotel I've stayed in in SC. Very clean, comfortable and the staff was excellent. How convenient that they have an in hotel pantry to purchase a few necessities if needed. I will stay here again and will recommend this hotel chain to my family and friends.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sandra C
Margaret_Hoover, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Columbia-Ft. Jackson, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

It was great to hear that you loved our hotel. We at Candlewood Suites take pride in our hotel and our guest. We want to thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay with us was. It is guest like you that keep us doing the job we do to keep our guest happy with service and cleanliness. We want to thank you for choosing us and we are glad to hear that you will return. Not only did you say you would return but you said you would recommend us to family and friends. We are very proud to hear that. Again thank you.