“Try something new, I liked it”

Inakaya Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #92 of 996 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I tried sushi for the first time, I had the Candy roll and the Rock'n roll, it was delicious. But the absolutely best thing was Negimaki. Its beef rolled around a scallion in some kind of sauce that was one of the best things I have tasted in I don't know when. I will most defiantly have that again. We shared the boat for two, it was more that enough for three, if you have appraisers, it would feed four easily.

2  Thank Beth K

Reviewed July 7, 2014

I have been eating at this restaurant for 7 years now, twice a week during lunches and ones or twice a month for dinners. The sushi used to be one of the best in over 20 countries I had visited including Tokyo Japan. The meat of sushi fish started tumbling down. On several occasion I got served fish , I could not eat. Not well prepared. The owner lost one of his best trusted sushi chefs from Mexico, Louise. He used to be good. The current new hires are okay but occasionally deliver sub quality meal. Finally I complained , you don't do that to a Japanese, they can lose face. But I had to because it is my favorite restaurant. I am not sure ether it was delivered to the owner by the server/ host , it seems like I am getting a special attention now. I cannot complain anymore. I think he is the one that prepares my sushis now. I do however agree with a few reviewers that the place need a little upgrading. Things are getting older. We go there and spend quite a bit money, customers need more than food.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Inakaya is mentioned as the best Sushi in Columbia by many. If this is true I am done with Sushi in Columbia. This was our second visit and each time we have been underwhelmed. Both my wife and I are used to eating Sushi in Asian cities with large Japanese populations. Usually in areas with high concentrations of Japanese businesses. The Sushi here just does not measure up. To start with my wife definitely prefers her Sushi colder than it is served here. I am generally of the same opinion. The Wasabi is a bit on the sweet and weak side for my liking. Our Sushi was not any better than grocery store pre-made. My wife did like the Spicy Noodles and the Fried Soft Shell Crabs were decent. Decor in the restaurant is tired. The host ( I believe one of the owners ) is friendly and cheery. I wish I could say the same for the service. We certainly were not demanding but the disinterested server made us feel as if we were putting her out. But what truly made the meal negative was when I noticed the bright red color of the carpet in areas that do not get foot traffic. Then I seen the almost black color of the carpet where there is traffic. That was the end of the meal for my wife. With raw fseafood there are two critical factors. They are cleanliness and freshness. The carpet just made us feel that cleanliness was just not of any importance here. I do not believe we will return.

1  Thank Toddb62
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

Was in the mood for sushi tonight. The reviews helped a lot. This place was good and I enjoyed sitting and talking to the chefs. I had the tuna, eel, and salmon. All were delicious.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

I go here all the time and the owner takes great pride in his food!!!
People stop here from all over for their sushi and also for their soup. Do not miss their Red Dragon roll or their tuna salad. Their fish is always fresh and so many locals go there. They are open on for lunch and dinner. Rio the owner is great and will make sure you get great service and sushi. They make some awesome rolls!! It does not look like a great place in a strip mall right off the interstate but you will be in for a pleasant surprise. Trust me on this one.