“Excellent casual, yet upscale dining in Five Points/USC area”

Mr Friendly's New Southern
Ranked #4 of 976 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Columbia, South Carolina
“Excellent casual, yet upscale dining in Five Points/USC area”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I have lived in Columbia, SC since 1992 and have been a regular at Mr. Friendly's since the restaurant opened in the mid 1990s. It has been my go-to restaurant in town for so many years because it serves up wonderful, creative dishes and provides consistently excellent service. I have taken many out-of-town guests there, and even my most discriminating guests from "foodie" cities like San Francisco have always been impressed. Tonight I took my family there for dinner and had beautiful, fresh, fried oysters and two soft shell crabs, perfectly seasoned and cooked and served with grits, asparagus, and slaw. My wife had filet mignon topped with house-made pimento cheese. My son had chicken tenders and tater tots (there isn't a children's menu, but ask and they will be happy to fry up some chicken and taters for your kid). Everybody left full and happy, as usual. If your travels bring you to Columbia,you should not miss Mr. Friendly's.

• Visited April 2014

• Korean first
Roanoke, Virginia
“Great atmosphere, great food”
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

College tours with 17 year old son. Great stop for some quality food we could both agree on. Definitely recommend to anyone near the university.

“Soft shell crabs, if you like then try Mr. Friendly's exceptionally good!”
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

I picked up lunch for my husband and I Thursday, it was a little pricey for lunch, but it was our anniversary. I love fried soft shell crabs and their po boy is the way to go! It's on a baguette that was nice and soft accompanied by lettuce,tomato, purple onion. Delicious!

• Visited April 2014
Upstate, SC
“Almost Hidden Gem”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

What a great little restaurant. I can't say it's the best southern cuisine I've ever had but is was really good. It's a great place to go for an evening with family or friends and enjoy some pretty good food. The service is excellent and the atmosphere is relaxing.

• Visited March 2014
Georgia
“Over priced with small portions”
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

After eating there & spending over $100 (with tip), my husband & children were still hungry. They charge extra if you sub one veggie for another even though the veggie was listed as the same price. Will not return & will tell all those that I know to not visit.

Visited April 2014