“Too small for the crowd...”

Mr Friendly's New Southern
Ranked #4 of 984 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
North Carolina
“Too small for the crowd...”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

They say single People sould stay in on the weekends, but I didn't wanna. I was looking for some surf and turf which they didn't offer tonight so I should have researched the menu more carefully. GPS got me there but I didn't see the sign until my second trip around the block. When you cross the tracks, you've gone too far.

Neat, clean location in 5 Points, and that should have prepared me for the wait. The small, 5 seater bar is packed with people waiting for a table. Lisa the bar-10-der is the most amazing multi-tasker I've ever seen.

All in all, good food, good service, big wait. Worth It.

• Visited April 2013

• Korean first
Columbus, OH
“Lots of fish, pimento cheese, collard greens and grits”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I enjoy some good southern fare and we excited to have some on my business trip to Columbia. My colleagues and I dined on the patio. The service was good and the wait staff polite. From across the way, the sound of college students rooting each other to "chug chug chug" only wafted our way a couple of times during our early evening meal. I was surprised how many of the dishes on the menu were fish and I've never encountered so much pimento cheese on menus in the Carolinas outside of Columbia! I had the bronzed pork tenderloin, the sauteed veggies (instead of mashed potatoes) and the collard greens. All the dishes were very tasty. The pork was tender. The collards were cooked with some bacon, which is always a plus! My friend tried the friend green tomatoes - but wasn't a fan of the copious pimento cheese they came layered with. The fried chicken also got a good review. Check the menu before you go..if you are looking for other southern favs like corn bread and mac and cheese, you may need to go elsewhere. Overall, a good experience.

• Visited April 2013
Eastover, South Carolina
“Delicious Food”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My girl friends and I decided to try Mr. Friendly's for our monthly outing. We did have to wait about 20 minutes to be seated but it was well worth the wait. We ordered fried oysters and calamari as appetizers. Both orders were excellent. Cooked to order and very fresh. For entrees we had peach BBQ glazed salmon, buttermilk fried chicken, and pork chops. No one had leftovers. Every dish was excellent! Reasonable prices, great service and excellent food. A must stop if you are in the Columbia area.

• Visited February 2013
jax
“Stop here when in Columbia”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We ate here when passing through town. We did have a bit of trouble finding it at night. But, it was very worth it. It is not a huge restaurant, and we had to wait 10-15 minutes. Not bad.

It was a bit pricier than we thought it would be.

The food was great! We ordered the following: Lamb shanks, fried chicken breast, and the filet. Everything was excellent. Perfectly cooked and lots of flavor.

For dessert we had the peanut butter pie which was very good.

We would definitely plan our trip accordingly when driving so that we ended up there at dinner time if we ever passed that way again.

• Visited March 2013
Columbia, South Carolina
“Good Southern Meals”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I went with several friends for lunch and we all had great meals. The Southern cooking is always excellent and you can't miss with any selection.

Visited August 2012