“still as good as when I was in school”
Review of Mellow Mushroom

Mellow Mushroom
Ranked #56 of 998 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Business meetings
Description: Mellow Mushroom is proud to serve Columbia with delicious pizza, hoagies, calzones and salads. Providing quality food since 1974, we use fresh ingredients on all our menu items. Mellow Mushroom is more than just a pizza restaurant; it is where Columbia pizza lovers and beer lovers gather. Our menu and locations are as eclectic as our fans. Join the beer club, shop our Mellow shirts and see the unique artwork in each of our locations. The search for the best pizza in Columbia is over.
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I remember this place from my days at USC and found that even after a few years they still have some of the best pizza and calzones in Columbia.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Walking distance from Hampton Inn, Hilton, Marriott and Sheraton Hotels, enjoy the walk to an interesting old two story pre WWII building. Delish pizza and all menu items, two large bars, plenty of tables and a great place for the family and kids. Lots of beer choices and large choice of menu items. Gluten Free, Vegan plus everything an omnivore would love. Elevator for those who can't use steps and the only down side is you will have to pay to park if you don't walk and too bad they can't do anything with the accoustics as it gets pretty loud when full and you feel like you have to shout; the music is a bit too loud at times-this is the only reason we don't go with a group because you can only carry on a conversation with the person next to you. Service is great whether at the bar or table and you can get a view of Gervais street, which can be fun.

Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Our server was very nice and attentive. We had stuffed mushrooms for a starter and it wasn't very good. They were kind of cold and flavorless. We ordered the house pesto pizza and it was delicious. The prices are kind of high but once in a while its ok to splurge on pizza, I guess.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We ate at the MM after visiting the King Tut exhibit at the State Museum on a Saturday. I had heard it was good but loud and they weren't kidding about the loud part. It was late afternoon so we were seated right away which was good. Our server was a nice clean cut young man that was able to answer any questions we had considering this was our first time eating at MM. He was very busy so our service was a little slow but he was doing his best. Between the 6 of us, we tried calzones, pizza and a hoagie and it was all good but not great. HOWEVER, on the bottom of two fo the calzones there was gob of black burnt stuff that would scrape off with a fork. Our server said it was just from the cornmeal on the stones but it was still kinda gross. They should check that before serving the food. The pizza was very good except all of the vegetable toppings were kinda just right in the middle so the half nearest the crust was mostly plain pepperoni but it was still very good. It is not an atmosphere for dinner converstation as the place plays VERY LOUD rock music and people are talking loud trying to talk over the music. I would say it is geared more towards a younger crowd than families, especially when members of the family are senior citizens. My parents (in their 70s) asked me NOT to bring them back there because it was so loud, even my teenage kids thought it was a little loud. That all said, we will probably go back (without my older parents) even though we had mixed opinions and give it another shot, and I hope we get our same server, I think he said his name was Jeffrey?? He looked like he was working hard while some of the other servers appeared to be goofing off...which may be why there are reviews left about poor service. Some reviewers said it was expensive and compared to other chain pizza places it may be but I do believe the food is a little better...a large pepperoni pizza with 3 toppings will run you over $20. A calzone starts at $8 plus toppings and a whole hoggie is avg of $10 ( smaller than a footlong) and a bag of chips to go with is $1.59 (which is ridiculous and should be included) softdrinks and tea were $1.99. My husband noticed they had a good beer on tap selection. I hope this helps.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is the second time my family and I have eaten here. The service was excellent. We had to wait about 40 min. for a table, as the place is somewhat small. It is a fun atmosphere, kid friendly. You can't go wrong with any of the pizzas, though a little pricey for the specialty pizzas. Subs were great, but on the smallish side for the price.