“Horrible customer service!!!”

Ranked #18 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Horrible customer service!!!”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I had made a reservation that I needed to cancel. When I called to cancel the reservation the front desk manager Singita Patel told me that I could not cancel anymore since it was after he 48 hr period that you have to cancel. She said the full cost of my two night stay would be charged and spoke to me in a very condescending manner. This "manager" was very inflexible, mean, and would not let me speak. She continued yelling at me until she made me cry out of frustration. I pleaded with her to please calm down and to listen but she just continued until I gave up. I didn't mind paying the deposit which was already charged to my credit card, but it did Not make sense to keep a room that would stay empty when it could be freed up for another customer. She also refused to tell me who her superior was and just kept saying that she was the front desk manager. This was horrible and now I don't know who to report this to. I am so glad I am not staying at this hotel this weekend. I am also glad this was over the phone since In person I would have had a panic attack or something due to the stress. Nobody deserves to be treated like an idiot.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Suzy C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Love it soo much we are coming back again. Friendly and clean. The beds are made up like in Europe with the sheet and down comforter. Not the usual blanket and bedspread.
I will keep coming back to this hotel whenever I am in Columbia. We enjoyed breakfast and the friendly service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Inge312
Melbourne, Florida, United States
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We had a great time staying at your hotel. Everyone was so friendly and helpful, especially the front dest clerks Oliva and Hanna who were so informative about directions and places to go during our stay. We were there on September 17,18,19, 2013. We just want to thank you for making our long trip very enjoyable and most of all comfortable. The room was extremely clean and the conforter and pillows were the best I ever slept on. I highly recommend this wonderful place for anyone traveling to Columbia, SC.

Room Tip: We stayed in a handicap room so everything was very convienent.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Beware of the Best Western online reservation system! On a Sunday afternoon in the spring, I made a reservation for what I thought was Monday night of the following week. It turned out that the reservation system had gone back to the default date, which was the next day. When I discovered my mistake, I called this motel as well as the BW reservation office, and my credit card, to alert them. I was told that nothing could be done until the following day, since I'd made my reservation after 4pm EST. Next morning I spoke with the manager, who I gather is a Ms. Patel; she told me that she could not cancel my reservation but that she could give me a free night the following Monday. I did not like that arrangement, since I was not sure that our trip was going to be routed through Columbia, SC. The reservation had been a mistake. She would not listen. Since I could get nowhere with her, I tried cancelling through BW reservations, was given a cancellation number, and thought we were done. But no. Ms. Patel insisted that the only thing she could do was to give me the following Monday night "free." In the meantime, my trip was indeed re-routed. The day after I had been given the cancellation number, BW headquarters called to say that they could not cancel my reservation. The agent spoke to Ms. Patel when I was on the line, and she insisted, as always, that she could not change the charge. BW headquarters wished me luck but said that they were powerless in this case. I called my credit card once again to dispute the charge, but there was no charge on the account. Ms. Patel insisted that the reservation was already processed, but it did not show up on my credit card (and I called the Mastercard people repeatedly to check) until some time after the Monday that she was supposedly holding a room for me. When I saw the charge, I filed a claim with my credit card to dispute it. Unfortunately, the credit card company was unable to remove the charge, since the Patels insisted that they had followed the correct procedures regarding cancellation. Technically, they have, though I could probably pursue this further. I was treated unfairly, and I would not recommend dealing with such people.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Elizabeth7555
Woodbridge, New Jersey
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stay at the Best Western, on Bush River Road, 3-4 times per year, as our preferred home base for South Carolina Gamecocks Football. Our experience here is always extremely warm and positive. You will be greeted by the superb management team of Sangita and Steve Patel and their courteous staff. The hotel is extremely well maintained, rooms are very clean, the pricing is right, the location is delightful - with restaurants on each side (The Villa; for fine Italian and El Chico; for great Mexican (although El Chico is temporarily closed, due to a fire). A bountiful breakfast (hot and cold) is served each morning. Your trip to the Columbia, SC area is off to a splendid start, if you select this fine hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank RichardMoore49
Montgomery, United States
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Hotel is about 20 minutes from base and VERY easy access. Lots of convenient gas stations and restaurants within walking distance. Also very easy access and close to Zoo and Earlwood Park (Frisbee golf). Hotel staff was excellent and helpful. Room was awesome and bed super comfortable. Breakfast was so-so. Coffee a bit strong and the gravy for biscuits was cold at 6am.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Kansas City, United States
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I travel for business and chose this hotel for it's location. I is the cleanest hotel I've stayed at in quite awhile. Staff very helpful. Good selection for continental breakfast - actually more items than expected.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business