“Great burgers & great service!”

Rockaway Athletic Club
Ranked #259 of 999 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

I had a great pimento cheese burger & fries that had melted pimento cheese on them...Heavenly is about the only way I can describe them. The service was great, too - I realized that I left a $150.00 pair of sunglasses in the booth where I was sitting, and the staff kept them safe for me until I could return for them.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Rockaway's has been a family favorite for almost twenty years. The old place waiting for the rebuild after the fire and now the new place. Of course the burger is the signature meal. Fries are always great. A basket of fried okra can't be passed up. The Greek salad is more than enough for one person and if one was/is so lucky crawfish etouffee is to die for. It is a very family friendly place. Lot's of TVs for sports. Huge bar and excellent selection of beers. Great fried shrimp and during those colder months the oysters on the half shell yummm

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This past weekend, I had lunch at RAC and it was delicious. We started with a Mimosa Bucket and Fried Gouda & Mac bites. The Mimosa Bucket was only $12 but included a bottle of inexpensive but tasty bubbly (bottle served in a recycled giant jalapeño pepper can...too funny!) and the Fried Gouda & Mac bites were ooey, gooey, melty, cheesy delicious and served with a homemade ranch dressing to use for dipping.

Our burgers (a Rockaway Pimento Burger with Bacon and a Jalapeño Cheeseburger that I subbed American with Pepper Jack) were EXCELLENT. The burgers here are prepared on a flat-top griddle, which I think is the best way to cook hamburgers: locks in juices & flavors and provides a crispy finish to each side...also best way to melt cheese for cheeseburgers! The patties are well seasoned, big but not too big and come dressed with fresh tomato, lettuce, onions and pickles...

No doubt, Rockaway's burgers are among the BEST BURGERS I've EVER eaten, anywhere...I highly recommend giving RAC a try...it is quirky but fun atmosphere with great food & drinks and reasonable prices.

Btw, unlike some other reviewers, our server was not terrible (not great either) and it was a treat to eat here...we will be back!

-----------------------
I make every attempt to take care with providing useful information and reviews of establishments, services and places that I have found noteworthy in my travels. If you found this review helpful, please take a moment to click the "YES" button at the bottom of the review and to the right of the question: "Was this review helpful?"
-----------------------

1  Thank Mike L
Reviewed April 8, 2013

They have the best hamburgers in town. Big and juicy! If you get the chili cheeseburger, expect to eat it with a fork!

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We have been to Rockaway Athletic Club many times, but this last time our experience was not quite as good. We were overcharged $15 and our wings were basically cooked to charcoal. We will definitely try again, hopefully the next time will be better.