New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #11 of 97 Hotels in Columbia
Toronto, Canada
“Pleasant Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Hilton live up to their standard and goal of customer satisfaction. The rooms were very clean, comfortable and the staff was pleasant as usual. The onsite restaurant (Ruth's Chris) is pricy, however several other choices are within walking distance very close to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

tonytam, General Manager at Hilton Columbia Center, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Olive C from Toronto, Canada,

Thank you for your recent review of the Hilton Columbia Center. I am so glad you had a pleasant stay and was able to take advantage of some of the facilities we had on-site. If we can do anything to make a future visit to Columbia more enjoyable, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Tony Tam, General Manager--Hilton Columbia Center

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Charlotte, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I needed to stay a night in Columbia for one of my best friend's wedding, and chose the Hilton. I have stayed at a lot of hilton properties (Hilton Diamond), and this is by far the best hotel I've ever stayed at, with the exception of the Hilton Resort properties, but you really can't compare a resort property to a regular hotel. I'd highly recommend staying here if traveling to Columbia.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

2 Thank Brendan D
Dear Brendan D from Charlotte, United States,

Thank you for your recent review of the Hilton Columbia Center. Your great comments will be shared with our team and I do hope a future visit brings you back to Columbia.

Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I travel a fair amount and typically stay in Marriotts but my client booked me in to this Hilton. Hilton's are my second choice if I can't stay in a Marriott, and they are typically very good properties. Not this one.

After checking in and going to my room, I noticed as I walked across the floor I kept stepping on something crunchy. I picked up several pieces and determined it was dog food. I kept looking around and found 12-15 pieces scattered across the floor. I also noticed LOTS of dog hair on the floor. I picked up a big and full and the dog food and trotted back down to the front desk to go to dinner. I handed them to the young lady behind the desk and asked her to have my room cleaned. She comped my breakfast (at Ruth Chris) so I thought we were good.

When I returned from dinner there was no more dog food on the rug but there was still dog hair/fur which was easily discernible as the carpet is dark brown and black. I called the front desk twice and let it ring off the hook and no one answered. As I had already settled in for the night a decided against asking to change rooms.

The next morning when I checked out I took another handful of hair down to the front desk, relating the story of the previous night and telling them that if this wasn't the dirtiest room I had ever stayed in it was close. I told them there were also several fist-sized spots on the carpet where it looked like someone had spilled glue or something that had turned hard. They apologized. No offer to comp the room. Nothing. Just "bye".

This is a great location, next to a bunch or restaurants and good if you are going to the university, but there are several other hotels in the area. Ruth Chris is in the building (which is where they have a small breakfast buffet). I have no idea how much the buffet is but if it's over $10 don't do it.

All in all one of the most unpleasant experiences I have had in a hotel recently, at any level, and certainly not what I would expect from a Hilton. I would look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Not much to look at around here, so I think the rooms would be about the same.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Al E E from Nolanville, tx,

Thank you for your recent review of the Hilton Columbia Center. Your comments and experience are not indicative to our hotel and l would like the opportunity to address and make up your stay to you. I would most definitely like to invite you back to our property, please call the hotel and ask for the manager on duty so that we can assist you with your "less than stellar" and out of the ordinary stay.

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

It was a pleasant experience to stay at the Hilton in Columbia. It is very centrally located to USC and the rooms are lovely. Ruth's Chris is in the lobby which was very convenient. Highly recommended for a stay in Columbia.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear ThurmanMurman from Nashville, Tennessee,

Thank you for your recent extended stay in Columbia, South Carolina and thank you for the awesome review. If we can do anything to make a future visit to Columbia more enjoyable, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Apex, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Great hotel that had exceptional service. I would definitely stay here again for business or personal reasons. The staff was very helpful and the location was ideal. The rooms were very comfortable, as was the bedding. Highly recommended.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

tonytam, General Manager at Hilton Columbia Center, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Scott R from Apex,

Thank you for your recent review of the Hilton Columbia Center. I am so happy that you found the staff, accommodations, and service to be excellent. Our downtown city center location close to the capital and University of South Carolina has made the Hilton Columbia Center a top choice for business and leisure travelers alike. We recently upgraded our hotel with new 42 inch flat screen LCD televisions with an extended high-defination line up, in addition in every guest-room we added in-room safes, refrigerators, charging stations, and new the New Hilton luxury top of bed linens. We are proud to have made the investment in our hotel and will hope that our guests will continue to find our hotel, the best in Columbia.

The Free Times Newspaper just named the Hilton Columbia Center, best lodging in Columbia for the 2nd year in a row. Our on-site restaurant, Ruth's Chris steakhouse, was also just named best steakhouse in Columbia.

If we can ever do anything to enhance a future visit to Columbia, please do not hesitate to let us know!

Hurricane, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

The staff was extremely friendly and spoke to my children making them feel valued. Every staff member that we passed exchanged pleasantries with my family. It was a very hospitable environment and stay with Hilton.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Keith V from Hurricane,

Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed at Hilton Columbia for one night in August 2013 on business. The hotel staff is very professional and friendly. Everything at this hotel is impeccable. The room was two double beds, with a spacious and clean bathroom, flat screen tv, small fridge. The price was $179 per night; however, there are six (6) taxes! They are: state sales, state tax "a", city tourism tax, local option tax, Columbia Destination marketing tax and transportation tax, which brought the room to a grand total of $201 for one night. The room smelled a little bit musty but it was not unbearable. The pillows were very flat. The only thing that was wrong with the room is 1) the fridge did not work and 2) the bottom door lock was "off center" and would not latch. There is a Ruth Chris Steak restaurant inside the hotel, which is expensive but has excellent food and great service. There is a secluded and clean pool area and an outside patio area with table and chairs. There is a Five Guys hamburger restaurant across the street a bar. There is a pharmacy, stores and liquor stores about 2 blocks up off the main road. The valets were very friendly to us at this hotel and FAST. No complaints. This is a good, clean hotel.

Dear vinfamily3 from Kentucky,