“Housekeeping needs help!”

Ranked #10 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Charleston, South Carolina
“Housekeeping needs help!”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Overall, the hotel is exactly what you would expect from a Hilton property. The front desk is very friendly and very helpful. In fact, the front desk gets five stars! Parking is more expensive than expected in a South Carolina property. The rate is 12.00 a day or 22.00 for valet services. Room service is provided by Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse. The rooms are very quiet. In fact, I had a room near the ice machine and elevator and never heard either one. My major disappointment in the property was housekeeping. The room is clean on arrival. During my first stay over several days, my wine glasses from room service stayed in my room the entire week. My bathroom was always as I left it. One garbage can would be emptied and not the other one. I came home one evening to find someone’s coke can on my vanity. So, I complained after the first week. I was very disappointed that the second week was no better.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
tonytam, General Manager at Hilton Columbia Center, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Dear Islandtime1027,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Hilton Columbia Center. I would most like to thank you for the "kudos" you gave to the staff and your very quiet guest room. In regards to the price of the parking, the garage that is attached to the hotel belongs to the City of Columbia, our rates reflect the charges that we incur from the City. I will definitely let housekeeping know of the inconsistency that occurred in your guest room. If your travels bring you back to Columbia, please do not hesitate to contact myself or another member of my team to make your reservations.

Best Regards,

Tony Tam, General Manager
Hilton Columbia Center

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Raleigh
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I stayed here for my best friend’s wedding instead of the main hotel for the wedding guests. We enjoyed the hospitality and the amenities. I was still breastfeeding and they allowed me to keep my pumped milk in their employee refrigerator. I could have not asked for a cleaner and well put hotel. We were also able to check in early than the norm. Last but not least, I left my camera in my guest room but they mailed it to me via FedEx and I received within a couple of days! We just wished we had enough time to try the awesome restaurants on site.

Room Tip: always look at the guests pics vs the hotel's website pics
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NightRider80
Dear NightRider80,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Hilton Columbia Center. I am so glad we could accommodate all of your needs while you were here at the hotel. On a future visit, feel free to request a refrigerator to be delivered to your guest room for your convenience. Thank you for the positive comments on cleanliness of our hotel, it's one of the many points of gratification the hotel team is very proud of. I am so glad that we were able to get you your camera that was left behind, hopefully you got to take many pictures of the wonderful time you had while in Columbia. On your next visit to Columbia, please feel free to contact myself or another member of the team to arrange all your accommodation needs.

Best Regards,

Tony Tam, General Manager
Richmond, VA, USA
Reviewed March 3, 2012

We were there for a professional conference and had a great experience. The staff was very helpful and made you truly feel welcome.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank By_His_Grace
tonytam, General Manager at Hilton Columbia Center, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Dear His Grace from Richmond Virginia,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Hilton Columbia Center. We pride ourselves on being a top-notch hotel for conferences, meetings, leisure travelers and just about anything else that brings you to the wonderful City of Columbia, South Carolina.

Tony Tam, General Manager-Hilton Columbia Center
providence
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Welcoming hotel, all staff were great, great Philip Roth room products and super location! The room is clean, spacious and the bathroom is lovely. Had one small issue, not worth mentioning as it was taken care of right away. Although the hotel was fully booked, it was quiet. The Hilton is close to the convention center, restaurants, CVS and fedex. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: do not stay on top floor, seem like rooftop industrial fans/condensers might be a bit loud at night
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Paulasw from Providence,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Hilton Columbia Center. I am so glad that you enjoyed your time Columbia. Thank you for acknowledging the staff, amenities, location, and cleanliness of the hotel. One of your comments was some noise coming from the rooftop air conditioning unit---the noise from the unit effects just a few rooms and only when we are very full. The noise is currently being addressed by our engineers so that we can ensure no issues will arise from it in the future for any gests. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact myself or any member of my team if we can be of assistance on any future stays!

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Stayed there recently and the service coupled with the accommodations were excellent to say the least

Well recommended

• Stayed February 2012
Dear Ricanranger,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on the Hilton Columbia Center. If i or any member of my team can make any future stays more enjoyable please contact us.

Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed February 23, 2012

My dad and I stayed at the Hilton Columbia Center Friday and Saturday, February 17 -18, 2012. We were in town to attend my best friend's daughter's wedding. My every interaction with the staff at this property was absolutely outstanding. When making the reservation, I asked for a late check-in, as our flight didn't even arrive in Columbia until 9:30 p.m. Late check-in was guaranteed and when I called back a few days before to make sure that was still the case, I was very cheerfully told that it was noted in the record exactly what time I was due to arrive. We landed on time in Columbia and had the good luck to land Charles, of Miracle Taxi as our cab driver. He ended up being our "chauffer" all weekend. He took us to the hotel and the front desk staff was extremely pleasant, cheerful, and professional. Bartley Cromer was the young man who checked us in (more about him later) and suggested that if we wanted a night cap, we could pop in to the bar at Ruth's Chris on the other side of the lobby. Great bar, terrific service. We got up to our room and settled in. The room was on the 8th floor (817) and was very spacious. There is free wi-fi and a good work station/desk. I did wonder at the space in the dresser that had obviously been intended (and perhaps once housed) a small fridge, as it would be nice to bring leftovers up from Ruth's Chris, but alas, no fridge there any more. There was a full size iron and ironing board (which we used and worked well). Good flat panel television with a lot of available stations. Good alarm clock radio. Beds were very comfortable!!! Anyway, we were unpacking and settling in when I got a voice mail on my cell phone and the room phone from Bartley at the front desk who had inadvertently failed to return my credit card to me. I went down stairs and after confirming my identity (thank you), the gal who had taken over for Bartley returned my card to me in a sealed envelope, none the worse for wear. In these days of identity theft and such, I was appreciative of their professional handling of this mistake. The next day my dad slept in and I went down to the lobby where free coffee and tea are always on offer. I brought a cup up for my dad, who was still snoozing, and then I walked up the street to the corner and saw that there is an IHOP right there and a CVS drug store across the street. One block over is Gervais Street, where there are countless places to eat and have libations as well as shopping. After a short exploration, I went back up to the room where my dad had finally awakened.

The gal who was getting married was my flower girl back in 1992 when she was only 7 years old. At the time, she told me that when she eventually got married, she would allow me to participate in her wedding, and when I asked what she would have me do, she stated firmly that I would be allowed to "pick berries." So, I really wanted to bring a basket of berries with me to the wedding (but obviously couldn't have packed one on the plane). When we went downstairs, I spotted Bartley working the door to Ruth's Chris and I asked him about where to go to get berries and a basket. He told me some shops to visit for the basket and then offered to go to Publix for me on his lunch hour and purchase assorted berries! Definitely above and beyond the call of duty, but I totally took him up on his offer and gave him money to go to Publix. He brought me back a bunch of berries and then proceeded to put together a gorgeous arrangement of berries in the glass basket I found in an antique store (great antiquing within easy walking distance of the hotel). I was so impressed with Bartley going so far beyond what his job description calls for; and he was funny, pleasant and professional as well. The rest of the front desk and restaurant staff were also absolutely wonderful - truly a terrific customer service experience.

We did have a small snafu the next morning with our room service, so be very sure to be very specific when ordering. But, the food was great and so was the coffee. They claimed to be out of tea bags, but there were some in the lobby, so not sure about that...

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel and would most definitely stay there again if I go back to Columbia.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear Lollymoz from Tampa, Florida,

Thank you for taking the time to write a very extensive review on the Hilton Columbia Center. First of all thank you for the very nice comments on our guest rooms and amenities. We are very proud of our accommodations and the decorations that surround them.

I am very glad that your credit card got back to you without incident.

What a wonderful story on the wedding you are attending and the connection of the berries to boot. Bartley is a wonderful asset to the hotel and I'm so glad that he was able to personal help gather your wedding gift and assembly it for you. I will personally make sure that he know how appreciative you are.

We wish you could have stayed a few more days in Columbia to enjoy the great city and experience more world-class service from the Hilton Columbia Center.

If I can personally be of assistance on your next visit to Columbia, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kabul
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The hotel was great. The front desk staff friendly and helpful. Rooms were big and clean with comfy beds and pillows. Had an issue with my key not operating my door and it took more than an hour to have it fixed. But the hotel management were super apologetic afterwards. Hotel is in a prime position. Would recommend.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Kabulpickle
tonytam, General Manager at Hilton Columbia Center, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Dear Kabulpickle,

Thank you for taking time to write a review on the Hilton Columbia Center. First and foremost I do apologize for the extended period of time it took to get the electronic door lock fixed on your guest room door---technology as you know sometimes is not cooperative. Thank you for recognizing and acknowledging the helpful and apologetic hotel management staff that you interacted with while you are here. If any of your future travels brings you back to Columbia, please do not hesitate to personally let me know if I can be of assistance.