“Great place to stay”

Hilton Garden Inn Columbia - Harbison
Ranked #4 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stopped with no reservations and got the last room. They were booked solid. I thought this place will be noise plus. I never spent such a quiet night anywhere. How they soundproof their rooms should be marketed to other hotels. The staff was great. Many restaurants within walking
Distance of the hotel.

Room Tip: Any room is fine.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Seanbranch, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbia - Harbison, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Beatarmy1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with other travelers in regard to your recent stay. Your comments are an excellent testimony for future guests to know they will receive a quiet night's rest at our hotel. We pack our walls with a “top-secret” soundproofing material only available at our hotel... :) More importantly, I am glad our staff service exceeded your expectations. We are very lucky to have an amazing team of employees serving our guests. We look forward to seeing you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I travel as a normal part of of job. When I travel to Columbia SC (at least once a month) I always stay at the HGI Harbison. Nothing is better than walking into a hotel and having the hotel team welcome me by name, ask me how the family is doing and go the extra mile to ensure everything is taken care of for my stay. Team members such as Bianca, William and Shetema have outstanding personalities and are the perfect embassadors for the front desk and restaurant team.

In addition to the Team, the hotel is located near (less than a mile) from great shops, restaurants and malls.

If you are in or near Columbia, you will not go wrong staying at the HGI. In fact you cannot do better.

Room Tip: I have stayed on all floors and every room is outstanding. Can't go wrong at the HGI
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear cpd24,

You can rest assure that you will always have a place where everyone knows your name (cue... "Cheers") at the Hilton Garden Inn Columbia! Our guests are considered family when staying with us. Our team understands road warriors such as yourself need a place where they feel welcome and are recognized on a first name basis. Thank you for recognizing Bianca, William, and Shatiema as you are absolutely correct, they are shining examples of our service model. Your comments have been shared with our team. Your posting serves as an excellent point of reference for guests needing their own home while in Columbia. I sincerely thank you and look forward to seeing you back soon!
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This Hotel is second to NONE. The folks at HGI Harbison go out of their way to ensure you have a pleasant and stress free stay. Yolanda, William, Sean and Stephanie lead the way and always meet you with a smile. I have never arrived at HGI without being greeted by name. My room has always been ready and I have never had any issues with my room. The made to order breakfast is great and the evening Restaurant meals are well balanced and have many choices. You can not go wrong with this Hotel.

Room Tip: I have found no bad rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear akvid63,

As one our most valued guests we sincerely appreciate your glowing review of our hotel. It is always a pleasure to have you staying with us. You should always be greeted by name and with a sincere smile by any employee no matter where you are in the hotel. I know your trips can be shorter than expected at times, but I am so pleased that you take the opportunity to enjoy the amenities we have to offer. If you ever need anything at all, please do not hesitate to let me know. We will have your fridge stocked with Dr. Pepper anticipating your next arrival. We look forward to seeing you back soon. Thank you!
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

This is the best hotel in Columbia. Each staff member I encountered was exceptional. Check in was smooth and efficient. The hotel was very clean and well maintained. Breakfast was delicious. The hotel is located near some great shopping and reataurants. I would never choose another hotel in Columbia. It is obviously a well run property.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear tblovinlife08,

Thank you for your nomination as the "Best Hotel in Columbia!" We are slightly biased here, but are inclined to agree with you. In all seriosness, our staff is so pleased to know that all of your expectations were exceeded as this is always our highest priority. You have highlighted on some great points as we want your arrival, experience in-between, and lasting impression to keep bringing you back to us again and again. Next time join us for dinner or have room service delivered to your room where you can enjoy from a wide array of choices. If on your way out for the night, stop by to have a drink first at our onsite bar. Kick your morning off with a great workout then breakfast at the Great American Grill. Whatever you need is, I am sure we have you covered. We would never want you anywhere,but with us when in Columbia. See you soon!
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed September 11, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located off of the interstate. Our room was nice and tidy. The staff was fabulous, polite, friendly, helpful! Every single one of them from the desk to the housekeepers! I cannot express how bowled over we were! I never use so many exclamation points , but they deserve it. Stay here, weary travelers, you will be treated like kings and queens! Not to mention at a good price!

Dear Elizabeth S,

Thank for both your wonderful review and the email sent to me directly. Comments such as yours and others posted here are truly what makes our jobs so rewarding. It appeared that we got a "strike" when we "bowled" you over during your recent stay with us. Come on back with us again and again where our stay will shoot for a "Turkey." You comments paint our team perfectly where every one of our employees is a part the guest experience. Weary travelers will always be greeted with the same level of service whether by one of our room attendants on the halls, at the Front Desk, or when starting their morning off with our Chef at breakfast. Your throne awaits you and others where you will always be like a King or Queen. Come back soon!
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Overrated! Based on prior site feedback, our family booked 30+ rooms at this hotel for a family reunion. To say the least, we were very disappointed with the Value received. The breakfast was charged separately, was quite pricey, but not very good. The hotel carpet was dingy...particularly in each room. The hotel keys were sporadic in their functionality...we had to reset the keys several times and re-insert the keys multiple times before the room doors would open. We catered food for the event, but the chef staff served insufficient quantities.
To the hotel's credit, the hotel did provide sufficient towels and the AV staff was helpful in setting up the banquet hall.
Bottom line...this team could work to improve their service and hotel quality to match their pricing.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in digits near "10" are closer to the elevator...and hence more noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Will M
Seanbranch, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbia - Harbison, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Will M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us on Tripadvisor. The type of experience you feel you received is very uncommon for our hotel and staff. The review posting immediately before your own was here on the same weekend as your event. I am very disappointed to hear that you were not pleased with your experience and the margin of difference between the two. I can assure you that our staff always has the highest priority of delivering a guest experience that exceeds all of your expectations. I would like to take a moment to address some of the issues you encountered during your stay and related event. Our Sales team worked diligently with your designated group contact on a special, customized budget to fit your event's budget needs. The quantities provided for your Saturday night event were both proportionally and historically based on very similar social events held by our hotel many times in the past in which an issue has never occurred. It is to my understanding that your overall attendance increased from the originally given head count for your event. However, we understand that your guest perception and experience are what is important as we are always here to serve our guests. As a result our Sales Manager has already given compensation to your event through your family reunion coordinator. We are dedicated to ensure our guests are satisfied with the services we deliver. The comments in regard to the carpet are very surprising as the majority of the hotel’s carpet on the 1st floor where you event was held is new. In addition, we clean it both on a monthly basis in-house and by a professional service multiple times throughout the year. You will find that our guests see that we have only the highest level of care for our property's appearance and maintenance. You are correct in stating that the functionality of the keys were an issue over the weekend. Unfortunately, during the time you stayed our hotel was having issues with our key encoder. This resulted in the inconsistency of your keys working properly. We understand how frustrating this can be for our guests as we actively pursued solutions to eliminate this problem right away which has now been corrected. On the same day of your arrival our Management Team personally tested every key for all arrivals to ensure that no guests were subject to this problem during their stay. I apologize that you still encountered this in lieu of our efforts to avoid any guest frustration. Last, I am sorry that you feel you received a lesser value than anticipated while with us. We always want our guests to feel as they received their money's worth and much more. The breakfast included price was not requested at the time of booking, but would have been accommodated to fit your group's need if this had been a request or need. Hilton Garden Inn does feel that the full cooked-to-order breakfast does provide a good value for our guests. I hope that you were able to take advantage of our full array of offerings as there are many. I trust that in spite of the issues you encountered during your stay that my staff tried to resolve any needs right away and delivered only the highest level of customer service. I can understand how a series of events or miscommunications can take away from the experience that we set out to give you and your group. I encourage you to call me directly at the hotel so I can further discuss your comments to ensure you are satisfied. I look forward to seeing you back with us again so our staff can give you the stellar experience we are known for and you deserve. Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you. Have a great weekend!
Long Island City, New York
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I was here for a Wedding of a Family member. The location & staff were Supurb! The rehersal dinner was fantastic. The cleaning staff was excellent & accommodating. The Supervisor of that service was a sweetheart. Came & brought me a sewing kit with a smile. Yolande at the front desk was super professional. Alberta was helpful & pleasant as well at the restaurant. I would stay here again no doubt. Right next to mall to and walking distance.

Room Tip: Go to breakfast here. Price is right and Chefs are good!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Seanbranch, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbia - Harbison, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear IPraise2,

Thank you for your glowing review of your recent stay and the staff service you received. We know how important special events such as weddings are as we strive to make it as memorable as possible. I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed the rehearsal dinner so much. I have passed your comments along to our Sales and Food & Beverage teams. Thank you for acknowledging the levels of service provided by Brendan McCoy, Executive Housekeeper, Yolanda, and Albertha. Each of them serve as excellent examples of the service we set out to deliver with each guest. I trust that they delivered on our promise to make sure that you were 100% satisfied in every aspect. We look forward to seeing you back with us again soon!