“The Wall”

Ranked #27 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Wisconsin
“The Wall”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

(Let me start by saying I am a Platinum Premiere with Marriott. Around 150-160 nights per year.)

I have stayed many nights at Residence Inns and they can be wide ranged in their quality and service. (The best easily remains the Residence Inn in Beaumont Texas.) Although this Columbia Res Inn is quite attractive and well designed, it's literally in an industrial park with a major rail line running close by. The shock was when I opened the drapes of my top floor room and viewed the Wall. A solid steel building three stories tall less than 30' away and running as far as you could see, both directions. No windows in the part of the steel building I could see, just bare solid steel. There was no concertina wire on the roof but there could be. However, if you want privacy from outside, this is the ultimate. There were at least 15+ rooms with this same issue. What were they thinking when they bought the land without any view buffer?

2:32 am. Apparently the 2:30 major freight train was running a little late. The sound was deafening with one of the whistle blasts near the property and echoing between the Res Inn and the steel building. Additional blasts followed as the train made its escape. I expected the bed to start moving across the room similar to an I Love Lucy episode. (This apparently does not always happen as the next 4 nights the train went by quietly.)

For nearby restaurants there was a Country Kitchen, BoJangle Chicken and a Wendys. That was basically it. Although Columbia has numerous fine restaurants there were none in this area. A driving sweep three miles each direction found nothing but there may have been some out there. Luckily, the property does have the customary good breakfast and the snacks/drinks at night. Caution: Don't take your complimentary glass filled with wine to the food area 8 feet away. Apparently the rules of SC or the property have deemed that an infraction. The hostess (in socks?) chased me back. To top off the social evening, there was a tip jar in a prominent position for when you left the room. NEVER saw that before at a Res Inn. Kind of tacky.

If you pick a room carefully with no steel wall, minimal train and no highway noise you could do just fine. The rooms are new, nice and clean and the staff was helpful and courteous. But there are many fine hotels in the Columbia area where these noise/view issues don't exist.

Room Tip: Ask for: No wall. No train. No freeway. See pic below.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GOTWisconsin
Katie R, Manager at Residence Inn Columbia Northeast, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear GOTWisconsin,

I hope you are having a wonderful day in beautiful Wisconsin! I am glad to read that you enjoyed some elements of our hotel, but as a passionate service professional, you can imagine that I am disappointed to read that we did not meet all of your expectations. For that, I sincerely apologize on behalf of the entire team here. It is also with sadness and regret that my team was not able to sense your discontent during your stay so that we could have the opportunity to offer some sort of resolution. Nevertheless, I do greatly appreciate your honesty and opinioned review of our hotel.

We recognize that there are great properties in Columbia and we are completely dedicated to frequent improvements of our facilities and amenities so that we may strive to meet and exceed every guest’s expectations. As always, our staff is here to ensure our guests' complete satisfaction, so please make sure to express your concerns while at the hotel so that we can make an effort to rectify them immediately should they arise. Also, there are several great restaurants only 2-3 miles away that we have pre-printed directions for. We try to make your stay as stress-free and easy as possible for our guests. After all, we do call ourselves your "home away from home"!

I hope you are able to visit us again as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back and to demonstrate our commitment to excellence. . Please contact me directly if you are planning a visit to the area again, and do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of any assistance to you.

With highest regards,

Katie.Register@marriott.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Residence Inn by Marriott, Columbia Northeast. The hotel has been renovated and is VERY tastefully done. The carpeting and furniture is quite handsome and the artwork looks like something you might put in your home, not the typically bland commercial type. The room was spacious and nicely appointed, complete with pop corn! The bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was excellent with many choices. Although we didn't have time to swim, there was a very nice outdoor pool. The staff was friendly and helpful. Tiawanna, at the front desk, was especially pleasant!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Katie R, Manager at Residence Inn Columbia Northeast, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Elaine H,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our newly renovated rooms! I will make sure to pass on your praise to Tiawanna. She is truly an asset to the hotel and to our guests.

Thanks for choosing to stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Columbia Northeast! We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We arrived here very late and the night staff was excellent. The room was great for our large family. This is one of the few hotels where we can all stay in one suite. This was our first stay at a Residence Inn. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Nclaytons,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our spacious suites and that they were the perfect fit for your family! We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you and your family back soon.

Thanks for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott Columbia Northeast. Until then, take care!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I was here in early August for a work trip, just as I was a few years ago, and little has changed. One advantage for this place is that for those that have business at Fort Jackson or that area, it is about a 15 minute drive. With the number of those at the hotel that were in uniform, I'm guessing they do a pretty good job of having government rate rooms. The rooms are clean and there's plenty of space within them. For those looking to save a few $$$ for dinner, they do have the snacks and beer during the week nights.

A couple of things to consider....although the rooms are comfy, there are train tracks nearby and the halls/walls are a little thin. Light sleepers should probably bring ear plugs. Also, other than a couple of fast food places and a Cracker Barrell, you will need to drive a few miles to get food. Finally, trying to get to Farrow Road, the main way to get to I-77, can be tough during the morning commute hours..

Beyond that, though, it's comfortable and clean and a solid option for business travelers and families (free breakfast and a pool).

Room Tip: Backside rooms will probably be more subjected to train horns
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear R W,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. We truly value your opinion as we constantly strive toward service excellence. Complete guest satisfaction is our number one priority! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay. Regarding the noise, we recommend our guests letting us know if they are really light sleepers. We have certain rooms that we recommend that may be quieter than other rooms based on their location.

We hope to welcome you back soon next time you are in the Columbia area. We know you will be more than pleased with our recent renovations! Please contact me directly if I can help you with future accommodations. Until then, take care.

Lexington, South Carolina
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed here with my family for a month while we were being relocated. The only saving grace for this hotel is the Staff. I would not stay here again.

Pros:

The kitchen staff and the cleaning staff are both excellent.

Cons:

Noise - There is a highway in the front, a storage facility on the side, and a TRAIN behind the building. The walls are extremely thin and you will hear everything that your neighbors are up to. Just pray that you get a room on the 3rd floor so that you won't have to deal with people above you.

Towels - Apparently they need to stock up on towels, as we were left without towels on numerous occasions.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, only stay on the third floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AverageTom
Dear AverageTom,

It is with my sincerest apologies that we did not meet all of your expectations and it is with sadness and regret that my team was not able to sense your discontent and offer their personal service resolution. Furthermore, I do greatly appreciate your honesty and opinioned review. Unfortunately we were not given the opportunity to address your concerns while you were here.

In regards to the hotel, we are completely dedicated to meet and exceed every guest’s expectations. We realize that some rooms may be quieter than other rooms due to the train and how light you may sleep. Had we known you were experiencing noise issues, we would have moved you to a different room immediately. We want our guests to feel like the Residence Inn is their home away from home, and anything less than that is unacceptable.

Regarding the towels, we apologize that you were not left towels on occasion. Perhaps you had a do not disturb sign on the suite? With a do not disturb sign, our housekeepers are not allowed to enter the suite. In the case that this was not the issue, I will make sure to speak with our executive housekeeper to ensure that we do not repeat the mistake.

I hope you are able to visit us again as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back and to demonstrate our commitment to service excellence. Please contact me directly if you are planning a visit to the area again, and do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family.

With highest regards,

Schweinfurt, Germany
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Spent three nights there and I tell you it was wonderful actually had no complaints. Never have I been to an establishment where complimentary breakfast and dinner was served. The bed was amazing the entire room was amazing as though you were home. The staff was very hospitable and accommodating. I observed the staff attempt to provide services to someone and called a neighboring hotel to get them a room. I too did not have reservation but they were able to accommodate me with one room for three nights. This is one hotel I would recommend again and again. Thank you Residence Inn for your service!

Room Tip: Very comfortable bed and room was spacious.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Debbbie198466,

We hope all is well in Germany! Thank you very much for the wonderful review! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, all the fantastic amenities offered, and that you felt right at home. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back if you are ever in the area again. Until then, take care!

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We made a reservations and when we got there they put us in a room (132) that has some sorta of air unit on the other side of the wall we had driven 8 hours and did not want to have to go looking for another hotel. It sounded like a train was sitting idle outside our room this may be the train everyone is complaining about. I think it is actually part of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
Katie R, Manager at Residence Inn Columbia Northeast, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Gearhounds,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and for your honesty. We deeply regret to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We ask our guests to please contact management immediately should they encounter any type of issue. At the Residence Inn by Marriott, we want you to feel as though you are right at home as we strive toward complete guest satisfaction. The only way that we can make things better is if we know something is wrong in the first place.

We hope to welcome you back so you can experience yourself our commitment to service excellence. Please contact me directly if I can be of any assistance to you for future accommodations. I know you will not be disappointed.